webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Let's use Zhephree's Wooden Rows app to make a standard iBooks like app for webOS
Let's use Zhephree's Wooden Rows app to make a standard iBooks like app for webOS
  Reply
Like Tree5Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05/03/2012, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 16
With developer Zhephree open sourcing his Woonden Rows app we can definitely use it to make an app like iBooks app that iOS has. It could even be included as a standard app with new versions of webOS. What do you guys thinkg?
skat_et_dieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Old 05/03/2012, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
dkirker's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,176
Seems like a pretty nifty idea.
__________________
Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Old 05/04/2012, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
HMMM I think there is one person that has posted in this thread that has the skills to contribute if he has the time.


(not me... I've been lazy lately)
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2012, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
toaste's Avatar
 
Posts: 290
I'd like to see this app possibly hooked up with something like collectorz.com has (yes, I already am using their desktop products and would LOVE to have it on my webOS devices). They are already on the iPhone and Android so this would be another good move for them.
toaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2012, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
I have never used collectorz, back in the day I used to use DVD profiler on the desk top, but that was YEARS ago.
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2012, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
dkirker's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
HMMM I think there is one person that has posted in this thread that has the skills to contribute if he has the time.


(not me... I've been lazy lately)
Shouldn't be hard. We have Wooden Rows for UI, pReader for handling the content, and I am sure there is an easy way to learn Amazon's Whisper Net API for content syncing. I'll add it to my TODO list. Help would be nice.
__________________
Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2012, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
allen832008's Avatar
 
Posts: 84
I like the linking to Amazon idea. That would be sweet to have all your content right there.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 06:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 16
I'm down to help but I do need some guiding because I don't know Enyo nor Javascript incredibly good but I do know the basics of programming. I've programmed in C++ and PHP.
skat_et_dieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Shouldn't be hard. We have Wooden Rows for UI, pReader for handling the content, and I am sure there is an easy way to learn Amazon's Whisper Net API for content syncing. I'll add it to my TODO list. Help would be nice.
Might be a good excuse for me to actually focus, helping you and others...
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2012, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
grasshoper's Avatar
 
Posts: 536
If this project is still going on, I'm willing to help also, maybe by providing further UI and design elements and architecture. Let me know...
__________________
Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
grasshoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2012, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Buddy1969's Avatar
 
Posts: 546
*raising hand like in school* if you need a tester, I would be available...
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2012, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Shouldn't be hard. We have Wooden Rows for UI, pReader for handling the content, and I am sure there is an easy way to learn Amazon's Whisper Net API for content syncing. I'll add it to my TODO list. Help would be nice.
I thought the Zhephree developer originally had Wooden Rows tied into Amazon's API's for getting the movie/book/game cover art and item descriptions but had to remove that due to some technicality with the license terms for the Amazon APIs. (I think he ended up switching to Best Buy's APIs which did not have nearly as comprehensive a list of movies/books/games as did Amazon, of course. He covered this on his blog a while back.) So, not sure if the Whisper Net API has the same restrictions or not.
NCCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2012, 11:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Shouldn't be hard. We have Wooden Rows for UI, pReader for handling the content, and I am sure there is an easy way to learn Amazon's Whisper Net API for content syncing. I'll add it to my TODO list. Help would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I thought the Zhephree developer originally had Wooden Rows tied into Amazon's API's for getting the movie/book/game cover art and item descriptions but had to remove that due to some technicality with the license terms for the Amazon APIs. (I think he ended up switching to Best Buy's APIs which did not have nearly as comprehensive a list of movies/books/games as did Amazon, of course. He covered this on his blog a while back.) So, not sure if the Whisper Net API has the same restrictions or not.
First, Amazon's general product API is way separate from any Kindle-specific functionality like Whispersync or Whispernet, and no API, as far as I'm aware, publicly exists for either Whispersync or Whispernet. So yeah, that's kind of a big restriction right there. The closest thing that *might* even be a remotely possible option would be applying to their Kindle Developer Program (in beta) to see what's available, but I'm almost 100% certain that's meant for creating applications for the Kindle devices themselves. The Kindle KDK they offer in that program is Java-based, after all.

If you really want to get down to it, you probably need to first ask yourself why there aren't any non-Amazon apps out there on the popular mobile platforms with Whispernet or Whispersync integrated. There's probably a real good reason for that, and saying "I'm sure there's an easy way to learn..." is rather foolish to claim if there's nothing available out there to base that assertion on.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2012, 04:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
grasshoper's Avatar
 
Posts: 536
But we could make the app without kindle integration for a start. Maybe just need to put epub's or pdf's in a specific folder in media/internal and the app search inside it for new ebooks?
__________________
Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
grasshoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 08:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
dkirker's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
First, Amazon's general product API is way separate from any Kindle-specific functionality like Whispersync or Whispernet, and no API, as far as I'm aware, publicly exists for either Whispersync or Whispernet. So yeah, that's kind of a big restriction right there. The closest thing that *might* even be a remotely possible option would be applying to their Kindle Developer Program (in beta) to see what's available, but I'm almost 100% certain that's meant for creating applications for the Kindle devices themselves. The Kindle KDK they offer in that program is Java-based, after all.

If you really want to get down to it, you probably need to first ask yourself why there aren't any non-Amazon apps out there on the popular mobile platforms with Whispernet or Whispersync integrated. There's probably a real good reason for that, and saying "I'm sure there's an easy way to learn..." is rather foolish to claim if there's nothing available out there to base that assertion on.
Foolish? Ha! There are ways... It isn't a big priority in my book right now (I am focused on WebKit). I may look into it. Yes, like Google, many of Amazon's APIs for copyrighted content are NOT public for a very very specific reason. There does exist a library for reading ePUB books with DRM. As for Whipsernet, dunno, haven't looked. Just because a public API doesn't exist doesn't mean the private one couldn't possibly be used (how do you think they are getting Whatsapp working?). Is it worth the time? Dunno.

Regarding an official inclusion in open webOS (at least as distributed by webOS-Ports): Forget it. As for a Preware download: potential.
__________________
Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 09:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
dkirker's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,176
Also, one solution may be to load the binary from an already installed Kindle app.
__________________
Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 06:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 171
So as things stand, we have Wooden Rows as the UI and pReader as content handler. What's needed now are ideas for ways to sync data across devices, like Whispernet and Whatsapp do.

Guessing an implementation of Synergy is off the cards so is a server upload/dissemination like that the way to go? Like the file sharing in TapNote?
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 08:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
So as things stand, we have Wooden Rows as the UI and pReader as content handler. What's needed now are ideas for ways to sync data across devices, like Whispernet and Whatsapp do.

Guessing an implementation of Synergy is off the cards so is a server upload/dissemination like that the way to go? Like the file sharing in TapNote?
Maybe use Box.net to sync? Have the application or user create a folder under the user's Box account that stores the content. The program could search for that folder when it first starts up and sync any books found there?


---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 01:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Meh. I wish there was an app that had the visuals of the Amazon Kindle app (e.g. the page flipping and stuff) for the reading instead of preader. I do agree on Wooden Rows as the app for browsing, it's just made for it.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2012, 03:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
grasshoper's Avatar
 
Posts: 536
Hope this project is still going on. Would love to help if needed (in graphic design, that's the best I can do... Or CSS if needed)

As for page flipping, you can find several tutorials on google that gives hints on how to do that with javascript, so it should be easy to add to the final app in enyo I think.
__________________
Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
grasshoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Tags
ibooks app

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0