webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS on Cotton Candy
webOS on Cotton Candy

Old 04/30/2012, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cotton Candy FXITech

Have any of you seen this? I was reading about it and saw they were loading it with Android. I would love to have one of these with open webOS on it. Anybody else? I would love to transfer all of my current webOS apps to a platform that would be able to be updated beyond 1.4.5!
brockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

All webOS devices are capable of a minimum 2.1.0 Check the forums, Pixi 2.1.0 & Pre- 2.2.4.
Old 04/30/2012, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Now that would work. Any idea on price?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

According to the article from Engadget (from about six months ago) around $200.

FXI's Cotton Candy could turn every screen you own into a cloud client -- Engadget
brockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I thought this would be an interesting port target, so I put in a dev unit order on day 1. Will have to wait for Open webOS though.

-
Dan Donovan
Old 05/01/2012, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
It's sounding like it'll run webOS, but you'll need a Bluetooth-compliant keyboard to run it effectively. Interesting, nonetheless.

Does anything think is a serious vector for webOS to gain footing through a ton of people buying this device, or is it just a hobbyist pursuit? And how will you run games on the device when most require touch-based input (having near-zero consideration for external input devices), much less an accelerometer in other cases? Or will this be a case where webOS merely acts as a productivity-based platform with the apps it has left in its roster to this end?

That's the problem with moving a purely touch-based OS into a purely external input-based realm; you lose almost all interactivity with a vast majority of the apps its users came to rely on due to developers not building those capabilities in.
My interest is hobbyist and to explore new use cases.

Bluetooth is built-in, as is micro USB, standard USB and HDMI. Touch interface may be a challenge, but then the same challenge exists with Android. Gaming accelerometer and/or touch input could be provided by a handheld peripheral (Logitech Revue and Sony Google TV mini keyboards are examples). Other than printers, we have no idea what use cases HP might target for Open webOS.
-
Dan Donovan
Old 05/01/2012, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is really interesting. Could make for a cool little webOS Car PC setup.

I think it's definitely worth looking into even if just for fun.
Old 05/01/2012, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Waiting to see what kernel open webos uses. Hoping for one of the linux 3.0.x kernels, honestly.

Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
Touch interface may be a challenge, but then the same challenge exists with Android.
-
Dan Donovan
This is the part that I'm wondering about, but I assume if someone gets it figured out for Android, it could be applied for webOS more easily, right?

I hadn't seen anything about this, what an awesome device. Some really interesting applications for it, especially in the form of a carputer, which I have been really looking in to a lot but don't see Android as a very good solution. It's just cool to see how compact this thing is, and what it's capable of.
FetusSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
Waiting to see what kernel open webos uses. Hoping for one of the linux 3.0.x kernels, honestly.

3.3 is the current target, I believe.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

so.. this Cotton Candy thing is basically a handheld PC with Ubuntu and VirtualBox preloaded on it?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

It looks like they have started shipping.

FXI Cotton Candy $199 PC-on-a-stick finally starts shipping - Liliputing

I would love to have Open webOS on my TV. I hope this would work.
Spinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0