webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Sprint Users - Evo 4G LTE?
Sprint Users - Evo 4G LTE?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman

Old 04/16/2012, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Looking at pictures and stats of the Sprint Evo 4G LTE and dreaming of running webOS on it. It looks like it has pretty similar specs to the Touchpad... Does anyone think there's a chance Sprint webOS users will ever see an awesome device again?
mstrblueskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2012, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Let's see how Open webOS turns out in September and then we'll know. Remember, you'll be able to put it on any device that allows you to access its bootloader, the same way you can put Android on different devices. The biggest problem will be the drivers for the phone, but if Open webOS uses the same drivers, then hopefully it won't be a problem.

But we have to wait till it's all released first!
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2012, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
Does anyone think there's a chance Sprint webOS users will ever see an awesome device again?
No. I think Sprint will never ever put another webos phone on Sprint.
Old 04/18/2012, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
Looking at pictures and stats of the Sprint Evo 4G LTE and dreaming of running webOS on it. It looks like it has pretty similar specs to the Touchpad... Does anyone think there's a chance Sprint webOS users will ever see an awesome device again?
Be nice, I really hate Android.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

The question isn't about whether Sprint will every have a webOS device again... it's more towards the OP (and others) simply hoping Open webOS will get ported to a device like this. Only time will tell once all parts have been released by HP and the devs get their hands on it. I'm on Sprint with a FrankenPre2 and look forward to seeing if/when a port to new hardware is a possibility.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mstrblueskys likes this.
Old 04/20/2012, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Agreed. The best we can hope for is an unlocked bootloader. If it didn't have the Sprint "EVO" brand I'd be pretty optimistic but there's no telling.

I'd really be fine with any >=1.2Ghz CPU, ~4" Android device, with or without keyboard, that could be reflashed to WebOS.

Or do something like the "AutoNookie" android hack for the NookColor that only partially updates the OS, leaving all the drivers intact. If they added some kind of android compatibility layer like RIM had, they might be able to use the existing Android dialer to handle the phone calls. But that could be more work than just coming up with a WebOS dialer that uses Android drivers.

What we need are 2-3 of the Palm hardware engineers and maybe someone from their provisioning/contracting division who would already have the contacts with the ODMs and would be able to ballpark numbers from day 1.
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2012, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey guys - I started the thread. I had to switch to a newer phone because Sprint's webOS offerings weren't at all able to keep up with me. The Evo 4G LTE has made the switch pretty nice. They use a very similar UI to webOS multitasking. I would love to see a new webOS device, but if you are looking to stay with Sprint, the HTC Evo does a great job making it pretty easy to use Android.
mstrblueskys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
htc, open webos, sprint

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0