webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > 2013 WebOS comeback year?
2013 WebOS comeback year?
Like Tree17Likes

Old 04/15/2012, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

I think that if HP really does make new hardware with WebOS, and actually pushes it to the public, then WebOS has a chance. Not in smartphones, but in tablets and other devices. What do you think?
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

we need a miracle.

that, or lots of money and balls
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Better chance at winning the lottery, but it could happen.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Which would be the most likely then?
Old 04/15/2012, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

What momentum we get after September will tell it all. Getting webOS ported to some new hardware will be vital.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Which would be the most likely then?
donm527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why would you buy in a new tablet eco system? If there's no phone, it will be a hard sell. Why would you buy apps twice? (most apps now run on tablet and phone with the same package) Even if I want to do that, this new webOS tablet must be superior in every way.
mbasrawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
So what's your point? It's already happened.

Quote:
The album name is in reference to a quote by Don Henley after the band's breakup in 1980; he commented that the band would play together again "when Hell freezes over."

(Guess I should have made a note that I may have had a little hint o' sarcasm, with a splash of facetious in my last post, to which I apologize)....

Last edited by sledge007; 04/15/2012 at 09:19 PM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 04/16/2012, 02:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasrawi View Post
Why would you buy in a new tablet eco system? If there's no phone, it will be a hard sell. Why would you buy apps twice? (most apps now run on tablet and phone with the same package) Even if I want to do that, this new webOS tablet must be superior in every way.
Yeah, the phone is the problem. Good one. Then explain why Android-tablets still struggle to sell even though the Android-phones are more than popular.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 02:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

It'd have to beat whatever Apple and everyone else has coming in 2013, not just the status quo.
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by slbailey1, xandros9 and Vistaus like this.
Old 04/16/2012, 03:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Meg claims it's going to happen 'in a big way' by 2013, remember? I as well as many others are eager to see what HP does, or better yet, doesn't do. Been looking hard at possibly purchasing the Spectre and other HP items. However, if Meg & Co go back on another 'game plan' (not calling it a promise), definitely going elsewhere for those needs. Not out of anger, mind you. Just a wise consumer and enterprise decision.

Would I love to see them resurrect a webOS tablet somehow? You bet. It's still absolutely possible to build and maintain a webOS ecosystem with third-party mfr's taking care of the mobile phone portion.

Long live webOS and the community!
cujoq37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

As with most things, we will just have to see. Looking at the reality, webOS has a long way to go. That said, when you're 10 games out of contention in late Auguset, the odds are pretty slim you're going to win the World Series, but we know how that turned out last year, right?

There are opportunities out there, but HP and the OpenWebOS governance will have to provide compelling reasons for people to purchase a webOS tablet.

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Lol, what else is she going to say? i would have been surprised if she didnt say something like that. She can say anything she wants and change it tomorrow.

Rubi said a lot of things too... short memories. See it to believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoq37 View Post
Meg claims it's going to happen 'in a big way' by 2013, remember?
Old 04/16/2012, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraith View Post
I think that if HP really does make new hardware with WebOS, and actually pushes it to the public, then WebOS has a chance. Not in smartphones, but in tablets and other devices. What do you think?
I really do not expect anything new or earth shaking from HP.. I will take a look at open OS in Sept. And keep using my TP until lt quits working then move on.
eshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 12:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'd be happy with a HP tablet that dual boots win 8 and webOS.
Old 04/16/2012, 01:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Please see post I made 11 posts above yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinime View Post
I'd be happy with a HP tablet that dual boots win 8 and webOS.
Old 04/16/2012, 01:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

maybe they should quadraboot it

webOS
Android 4/ICS
Windows 8 (maybe others)
Linux (any distro, probably Ubuntu)

TouchPad II: Open platform, freedom to choose, more to love

idk :P
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Let's get Open webOS completed and out the door first. Get some Homebrew interest in getting it running on other pre-existing devices to show off flexibility of the OS to be a grass roots marketing campaign to intice the interests of other manufacturers who would be willing to venture and partner with Open webOS.

I think 2013 will be the year of portability - getting it to run on other pre-existing devices... and showing the strengh of Synergy (maybe even with devices once though not possible to run Open webOS). If HP is willing to invest hardware to use the OS (and market and distribute it the right way), then we will be in for some pleasant surprises.

Until then, let's nurture and care for the Open webOS baby. Get it to learn to crawl before running marathons.
Cyberpmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 02:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
cgk

Synergy is no longer a selling point - what does it do that is not available on other platforms?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 03:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
cgk

Let's think rationally about this - 2013 is going to see the iphone 5 and the ipad 4, it's going to see (if rumours are true) google make a big push with an affordable but powerful tablet, it's going to see samsung et al. pushing out quad-core monsters.

OK, they aren't going to catch them in a year - what else is happening - you are going to have nokia fighting for survival and throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at it, you are going to have RIM launching BB10 and fighting for relevance and throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at it, Amazon is likely to release more fire tablets backed by massive marketing power, Microsoft are going to continue to throw money at windows phone and also window 8 tablets.

Homebrew isn't going to cut it, the only thing that is going to cut it is HP making it clear that they are committing hundreds of million over multiple years to make the platform a success because I can't see anyone stepping up to the plate and without that sort of commitment, they aren't even going to be part of the conversation. It doesn't actually matter if Nokia, Rim and others don't success, simply that even if they fall, they will make 2013 a terrible terrible year to try and relaunch or launch a new platform.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0