webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > 2013 WebOS comeback year?
2013 WebOS comeback year?
  Reply
Like Tree17Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04/17/2012, 07:35 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
zukny's Avatar
 
Posts: 150
the next webOS device is to have "Don't PANIC" inscribed on the back! Sales will flourish
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: Artichoke
Old 04/18/2012, 12:40 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
C-Note's Avatar
 
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
Come on guys, you aren't realy dumb enough to think that hardware sales is the only way that money gets made in the mobile ecosystem and yet everyone on the TP cries because they can't watch Netflix...

There are plenty of revenue streams out there that are user-based/subscriber-based/transaction-based/etc that are capable of making way more than the stupid $100 per unit that you guys think is the only source of income.

Think about it, Netflix keeps telling you that there aren't contracts in place. You should understand instantly that once contracts are in place, there is a revenue stream. This is why Netflix is NOT on the TP.
Your comment is true, it's the only way to be profitable. (Don't think the Netflix comments are totally on the mark, but the concept of building revenue streams is correct)

The companies that live by hardware alone will die that way too. That is why Google and Apple are ruling the space.... and why Nokia, RIM, and the old Palm have (or had) no chance. It's why Apple keeps hacking at this Apple TV thing and why Google continues to integrate Android OS with it's formerly PC-centric offerings.

But HP had more potential revenue stream options than just about any of the non-players in the space and didn't choose to capitalize on any of them, likely because the time to profitability was beyond the comfort level for Uncle Leo. They could have worked out something with hardware bundles, cloud storage, network monitoring for the networking support crowd. Plus with their deep hooks in the enterprise network space, they could have cut a deal with any number of the firms to whom they supply hardware and services.

(Oracle? Please... that would have been a disaster!)

Part of it was they didn't build their foundation. Poor hardware, poor strategy, and while at first the updates were coming regularly, those began to slow to the point that eventually (overall) the drawbacks began to outweigh the advantages that gave them at least the basis to argue that were a worthwhile alternative to an Apple or Android phone.

The good: the touchstone, Synergy, the webOS version of multitasking, a physical keyboard for some...

could not outweigh the bad: lack of apps, crippled (less capable) apps because API's were not made available, lack of hardware choices, faulty hardware (oreos, cracks, funky headphone jacks)
__________________
"Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
(with apologies to Billie Holiday )
C-Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 01:14 AM   #43 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
Come on guys, you aren't realy dumb enough to think that hardware sales is the only way that money gets made in the mobile ecosystem
Of course not but you still have to actually design, build and sell hardware first - HP is unwilling to do that so anything else is irrelevant. You might as well talk about the opportunities for selling cases for phones that don't exist.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 01:44 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
hagster's Avatar
 
Posts: 799
if I can get OpenWebOS on any phone or tablet(OEM or ported) that will be comeback enough for me.

I just need something to carry me over until Apple, Google or Msoft can step up to make their OS as elegant as webOS.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc and Mutoidi like this.
Old 04/18/2012, 01:57 AM   #45 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
That should be pretty certain, while it looks dead as a mainstream OS, I think WebOS will have a long life as a hobbyist and community effort.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 08:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
astraith's Avatar
 
Posts: 946
I don't mean, just to clarify, they will be number one. Honestly tablets are a notch market still, and nobody I know is excited for Windows 8. So in the tablet world, HP WebOS could easily be number two or three. They can make money. And if they open up the phone sync to Windows Phone and Android that would be a good selling point.
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2012, 09:55 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 227
As a counter point to a lot of the negativity here, I would not under value the degree to which Whitman has tied her legacy to the webOS open source project. It's not a guarantee of success, but it does indicate a strong likelihood of a significant effort on HP's part to advance the OS. Admittedly, for the foreseeable future this will likely be in the form of a tablet device.

Thus far, HP has hit its milestones on the open source project. Those who are familiar with these types of projects indicated the road map was an aggressive, but doable, plan for such a project. Moreover, reports from those involved seem to indicate that HP have been putting forth sincere efforts to do this well. This is all to say, the evidence we do have suggests, I think, that post-Apotheker HP does care about webOS and is trying to give it the best shot at success they can.

Looking to the future, for 2013, I think just having a slice on the tablet marketshare pie dedicated to webOS would be a win. I'd say that would put webOS tablets at 2-5% marketshare. Probably looking more at the low end of that range. From there, who knows...

I would not be surprised to see HP come out with a more work-centric tablet which they could market in their enterprise channels. I think they would be looking to build some valud-added softare/service offerings on the webOS platform.

JMHO

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2012, 11:19 AM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
DrHeathenScum's Avatar
 
Posts: 729
Sillyness... i'll just continue to quietly stockpile webOS phone hardware so I have an ample supply of parts to support my crappy phone for years to come... HA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! (true story... evil laugh and all)
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Streakmachine likes this.
Old 04/20/2012, 02:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Looking to the future, for 2013, I think just having a slice on the tablet marketshare pie dedicated to webOS would be a win. I'd say that would put webOS tablets at 2-5% marketshare. Probably looking more at the low end of that range. From there, who knows...
Impossible - the market is constantly growing, so 5% in 2013 is going to take many more units than in 2011 - there is not even likely to be WebOS hardware until the middle of 2013 at the earliest (unless they rush out a piece of crap) and maybe not even then. To get to 5% would take a production, supply and marketing push needing billions of dollars in a short period of time.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2012, 04:31 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
Looking to the future, for 2013, I think just having a slice on the tablet marketshare pie dedicated to webOS would be a win. I'd say that would put webOS tablets at 2-5% marketshare. Probably looking more at the low end of that range. From there, who knows...
i think that's a pretty high bar; even at a low end. i just did a quick google search on the tablet market size. i came across a Gartner press release estimating the 2012 tablet market to reach roughly 119 million tablets. Gartner Says Worldwide Media Tablets Sales to Reach 119 Million Units in 2012 2% is 2.3 million tablets. No easy task. and i'm sure the market will be bigger in 2013.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2012, 04:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
If you follow one of the other threads, there is starting to be the idea that there are teams of people out there working on a secret project with HP under NDA. That should be good enough to keep hope alive for at least another year.
The Area 51 guys? Yeah I know about that, they are reverse-engineering UFO tech into the c-40.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2012, 10:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
The Area 51 guys? Yeah I know about that, they are reverse-engineering UFO tech into the c-40.
I have a stargate in my basement. I could probably retrieve some good tech for them.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2012, 08:54 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,526
Too many people are focused on tablets

Yea more people are using them but I still don't see them ever replacing a phone

Hp or anyone interested in webos should still focus on phones on their first priority

Unfortunately I think I am I'm the minority in thinking this way
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by siobhanellis, BradE and RumoredNow like this.
Old 04/21/2012, 09:34 AM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
Too many people are focused on tablets

Yea more people are using them but I still don't see them ever replacing a phone

Hp or anyone interested in webos should still focus on phones on their first priority

Unfortunately I think I am I'm the minority in thinking this way
Tablets are nice but I can live without my Touchpad and my iPad. My Pre 3 goes everywhere with me and is essential. While I like webOS on a tablet very much it seems to me it really comes into it's own on a phone.

The good part about webOS as open source is that different companies are free to pursue phones and tablets and one company does not have to do both.
__________________
PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
BradE#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2012, 03:22 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
Too many people are focused on tablets

Yea more people are using them but I still don't see them ever replacing a phone

Hp or anyone interested in webos should still focus on phones on their first priority

Unfortunately I think I am I'm the minority in thinking this way
i don't ever see it replacing either my phone or my dedicated laptop or desktop. they fill different roles. maybe for those that don't have to do a lot of desktop publishing. but if you have to type lots, rearrange text, high light lots it's much easier with desktop software, a mouse, and real keyboard. plus lots of business just need a cheap deskstop for cubicles. it's not like every office building in every major city is full of people that businesses want mobile on tablets walking around out of sight of supervisors. But back to phones they just fill different roles for me. i don't need a tablet. i need a phone and a laptop.


Now whether webos has a place on a phone or tablet in any other capacity then for the hobbyist i'm skeptical.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2012, 04:44 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
I don't see how HP could possibly enter the ebook reader market without either the catalog of Amazon nor the retail presence of Barnes and Noble. Is there really enough space between a Kindle and an iPad? The iPad 2 is $400 and the Kindle Fire is $200. More importantly, the functionality gap between them is even narrower. I don't see how a user interface is going to convince anyone to spend $100 more than a Kindle Fire or $100 less than an iPad 2.

And what if Amazon doesn't want to make a Kindle Reader for a new platform. It would seem that an e-reader without access to the Kindle library would be dead in the water. Face it - once Microsoft brings Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets and makes their big push, webOS would be looking at a fourth place ecosystem. That would be like whatever the runner-up to Linux is in the PC world.
yes, i don't see how a user interface that they already know about will convince them to pay the same as a kindle fire let alone more for the same kindle fire functionality.

but great points. HP would need to set up it's own retail presence at least in books and music and video. And then again the only thing being offered as a differentiators is an OS people already saw and chose android over. It be one thing if they offered something new that nobody else did that mattered but i've yet to see that at this stage. And honestly, i'm really beginning to think phones and tablets, don't have much more major innovations to go. I think it may get like laptops where it basically plateaus because what people do, desktop publishing, surfing the web and email are satisfied by whatever is technologically out their already. so laptops aren't taking great leaps. regardless. just a different OS i don't think is enough. The rest of the public is not in the i hate apple/i hate android camp so whatever webos is has to be better, not just an alternative.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2012, 03:54 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
As a counter point to a lot of the negativity here, I would not under value the degree to which Whitman has tied her legacy to the webOS open source project. It's not a guarantee of success, but it does indicate a strong likelihood of a significant effort on HP's part to advance the OS. Admittedly, for the foreseeable future this will likely be in the form of a tablet device.

Thus far, HP has hit its milestones on the open source project. Those who are familiar with these types of projects indicated the road map was an aggressive, but doable, plan for such a project. Moreover, reports from those involved seem to indicate that HP have been putting forth sincere efforts to do this well. This is all to say, the evidence we do have suggests, I think, that post-Apotheker HP does care about webOS and is trying to give it the best shot at success they can.

Looking to the future, for 2013, I think just having a slice on the tablet marketshare pie dedicated to webOS would be a win. I'd say that would put webOS tablets at 2-5% marketshare. Probably looking more at the low end of that range. From there, who knows...

I would not be surprised to see HP come out with a more work-centric tablet which they could market in their enterprise channels. I think they would be looking to build some valud-added softare/service offerings on the webOS platform.

JMHO

Gargoyle
They have not even come out with an ePrint app for webOS or a simple photo editing app. Somewhere along the line the ball has been dropped on what functionality should be a given in the operating system. Whether it be for pleasure or business. Its to the point now where webOS pretty much is going to have to tie itself to android to have the functionality people desire. I like controlling the tv and stereo with the touchpad running cm9.... Form follows function does have a place here....
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2012, 11:35 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 48
However HP proceeds, they need to resurrect their tablet division. Putting all their eggs in a basket (Windows), will not do the trick. Leaving room for webOS as a secondary OS gives them some latitude to conquer the concerns being expressed by business analysts.

Analyst downgrades HP as it faces mobile pressures - Yahoo! Finance

As the article states, HP can't stay stuck on standard computing devices, if they hope to maintain their status in the world of technology.
.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2012, 02:38 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 48
.
Would Yahoo be a possible webOS partner - hardware even?

Yahoo needs to shake things up, with Google gulping up the search market. Profits may be up, but revenue is down. The suit with facebook doesn't help goodwill. Staying the same won't work. Yahoo needs to find some friends in this market of Big Boys

Once Yahoo makes nice with Facebook, I`d be left wondering how a partnership that saw Yahoo, webOS (via HP), and Facebook (needing and/or wanting a phone) join up in some kind of alliance. Facebook makes the phone based on webOS, yahoo provides content, a search engine, and email, while webOS finds its' niche. Then add tablets. Facebook & HP could produce their own units. Yahoo would provide a content-rich connection, to go along with facebook itself. Synergy in the business world.

HP gets the webOS revenue, along with tablet revenue. Yahoo gets to play in a more dedicated market, and possibly a phone with webOS, since Android is out of the question, as would be iOS. Facebook gets what they appear to want (or so the media reports), as well as branching out to new areas - to counter any changes in the success of social networking.

.

.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2012, 08:05 AM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
mafu6's Avatar
 
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansing2002 View Post
.
Would Yahoo be a possible webOS partner - hardware even?

Yahoo needs to shake things up, with Google gulping up the search market. Profits may be up, but revenue is down. The suit with facebook doesn't help goodwill. Staying the same won't work. Yahoo needs to find some friends in this market of Big Boys

Once Yahoo makes nice with Facebook, I`d be left wondering how a partnership that saw Yahoo, webOS (via HP), and Facebook (needing and/or wanting a phone) join up in some kind of alliance. Facebook makes the phone based on webOS, yahoo provides content, a search engine, and email, while webOS finds its' niche. Then add tablets. Facebook & HP could produce their own units. Yahoo would provide a content-rich connection, to go along with facebook itself. Synergy in the business world.

HP gets the webOS revenue, along with tablet revenue. Yahoo gets to play in a more dedicated market, and possibly a phone with webOS, since Android is out of the question, as would be iOS. Facebook gets what they appear to want (or so the media reports), as well as branching out to new areas - to counter any changes in the success of social networking.

.

.
Nice thought process, highly doubtful though, but you never know.

Yahoo seems to have a dedicated follwing(pretty much like webOS).

I highly doubt Facebook would have anything to do with webOS, they would more than likely use Android because of its popularity.

Just a little off topic question does anyone know who else was interested in buying Palm before HP did?
mafu6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0