webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS - Improved webOS?
Open webOS - Improved webOS?
Like Tree8Likes

Old 04/04/2012, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

When Open webOS is released in September, is it going to an improved version of the current OS or will it just be the source code release?

Will features/bugs listed in this forum be integrated/improved somehow?
cvendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Generally just a source code release, but also some improved things like the new Isis webbrowser and bug fixes. But we dunno any specific things yet as we don't have any feature scheme/source code of the system/default apps yet; only kernel, driver bits, Enyo and novacom so far.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

When it is release the version is going to be "Open webOS 1.0" but in all reality it will be an addon to what you have. The changes will probably not be drastic enough, as they are working to open source it mostly, to deserve a similar 4.0 status...so consider it to be like getting, in its current state, a webOS 3.5 update.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
DJeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The changes will be quite sweeping, internally. As to what's visible to the user, who knows. The browser upgrade alone is probably going to be worth a major version #, though.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

They should defiantly use the webosnation wishlist articles, those are the major fixes webos need to be competitive.
khaled93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by blackfireball5, SnotBoogie, Vistaus and 1 others like this.
Old 04/04/2012, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have tested a few different OS browsers, and I have to say even the current stock browser in webOS 3.0 is tons better and compatible in my experience then even the latest Chrom Beta for Android. Hopefully that will only improve with the new Isis browser - without breaking other things.

Now if you could just slim down IE9 and put in on webOS tablets that would rock! My best browser experience to date.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
DJeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dokha likes this.
Old 04/04/2012, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
They should defiantly use the webosnation wishlist articles, those are the major fixes webos need to be competitive.
I too hope they include them. The present state seems incomplete without a couple of them.

Also considering how things are moving in mobile world, I hope they release some new/innovative features as well so that they don't lag behind immediately after release - just like TP faced the iPad2.
cvendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 04/04/2012, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
the current stock browser in webOS 3.0 is tons better and compatible in my experience then even the latest Chrom Beta for Android.
Really? there's loads of stuff that WebOS' browser handles badly! for example, every now and then the omnibar stops working not searching my history or google until a restart and, for example, google maps is incredibly slow compared to chrome, and doesn't support pinch to zoom, and theVerge's coloured tiles aren't supported like they are in Chrome, nor is the typeKit font - see the picture.

In openWebOS I'd just like the bugs to be squished, like the one mentioned above, and everything to run faster, without having to install tweaks, and I look forward to a more compatible browser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TouchpadExample.jpg (224.0 KB, 62 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by MonkeyJam; 04/04/2012 at 12:42 PM.
MonkeyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Could be worse: The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5? :P
Old 04/04/2012, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I have tested a few different OS browsers, and I have to say even the current stock browser in webOS 3.0 is tons better and compatible in my experience then even the latest Chrom Beta for Android. Hopefully that will only improve with the new Isis browser - without breaking other things.

Now if you could just slim down IE9 and put in on webOS tablets that would rock! My best browser experience to date.
For me it's not so much the compatibilty. That is handled by webkit. For me it's more some little issues like that it suddenly displays "Can't load page' sometimes. Then you tap again and it loads correcly. More like refinements, that is the key here for me.

I dislike IE9 on tablet. It's fast, but it's not an intuitive UI IMHO. I like the stock webOS web browser and Advanced Browser, but for me a viable alternative browser would be Opera Mobile. Used it on Android lots of times, superb browser (and the desktop also)
Old 04/04/2012, 03:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

My understanding (or, guess) is that the whole of Open webOS is going to leverage the new browser architecture (as discussed here: Isis - Browser inside Browser - Kitten Tale).

I think "Isis- Browser" is really only the front end for the web browser application, a collection of enyo widgits and things, coupled with stuff like cookie storage, password management, and all those types of standard browser features.

Actual rendering of a page is all kicked back to the browser server linux style daemon, which talks to the new QTWebkit instance, which is supposed much faster and more responsive.

So, remembering that all non-PDK apps are also webapps, I would imagine that most should see marginal performance improvements across the board, given a supposedly vastly improved rendering engine. Hopefully things like stuttering during scrolling will be approved across the board.

Last edited by jcerwinske; 04/04/2012 at 03:45 PM.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The actual rendering is handled by Webkit. The same Webkit (though a bit dated on the Touchpad) that powers Safari, Chrome. etc.
Old 04/04/2012, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Generally just a source code release, but also some improved things like the new Isis webbrowser and bug fixes. But we dunno any specific things yet as we don't have any feature scheme/source code of the system/default apps yet; only kernel, driver bits, Enyo and novacom so far.
Is it just me, or does it also strike others as being rather unusual that only 4 months out from the open webOS release month, and we haven't been given answers to even simple questions like "Will it support phones?" and "What core apps will be included?" I find it really bizarre. And shouldn't there already be early betas shared with developers so they can be working on apps for launch? I really don't understand the way this is being handled...
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Now if you could just slim down IE9 and put in on webOS tablets that would rock!
Please NO. IE has way too many security holes. Browsing the internet with IE is like banging a Shanghai prostitute without a condom. You might not catch anything the first time, but eventually you will.

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Last edited by Maverickz; 04/05/2012 at 12:21 AM.
Maverickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 06:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
Is it just me, or does it also strike others as being rather unusual that only 4 months out from the open webOS release month, and we haven't been given answers to even simple questions like "Will it support phones?" and "What core apps will be included?" I find it really bizarre. And shouldn't there already be early betas shared with developers so they can be working on apps for launch? I really don't understand the way this is being handled...
1 No support for phones directly. HP abandoned the phone business. The community may provide builds for phones though.
2 Early betas for what? The apps for launch are made with Enyo 2.x which is in public beta right now.
Old 04/05/2012, 06:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Betas? I didn't realise they were changing the codebase that much - I thought it was all tidying and getting rid of embarrassing

if (condtition) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}

:P
Old 04/05/2012, 06:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Doesn't matter what they've changed, they mark it as 'Enyo 2.0 beta' so I mark it that way too.
Old 04/05/2012, 07:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

i sure hopw they come out with a bang, going like "look what we got now!"
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 08:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
1 No support for phones directly. HP abandoned the phone business. The community may provide builds for phones though.
HP has abandoned phone hardware. But this is software - an operating system. It doesn't naturally follow that it absolutely won't include phone support components, especially when you consider that the rivals it hopes to provide an option to (iOS, Android) provide a single OS that can be used on both. This is something HP needs to clarify.
Quote:
2 Early betas for what? The apps for launch are made with Enyo 2.x which is in public beta right now.
Betas for open webOS itself. HP is removing and replacing proprietary portions of the operating system - this can have big ramifications in terms of performance, stability, and even compatibility for apps being developed, as the underlying OS that the apps run on will be different than what the apps are being built and tested on. This is something we see all the time when say MS releases a new Windows version or Apple releases a new OSX version - it is impossible for the OS developers to anticipate and account for all the variances, and as a result some applications will just not work the way they are expected to. If they don't do Release Candidate betas there could be a lot of issues that will reflect negatively on open webOS when it's release to the general public.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 02:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if there are few visible changes but it seems a bit wild to me that after all this time they wouldn't fix a lot of the not just small bugs but missing features that have been listed in threads and wishlist postings. For example, add some features and fixes to the music player, fully integrate podcasting, etc. My experience is more with the phone os so maybe some of it has been done on the tablet. & Maybe they'll come later. But Personally i think with the pace of mobile os innovation by the competition, with additions like icloud and all it's features, voice commands, and many features in android 4 and ios 5 i think the improvement needs to be come sooner rather then later. but just my thoughts.

Quote:
I'm not surprised cause corporations keep it close to the vest plus they may not have decided whether they want to support phones. That said i'd think it would be much better PR to be pretty open. But my guess is they haven't said because they either haven't decided.

Quote:
HP has abandoned phone hardware. But this is software - an operating system. It doesn't naturally follow that it absolutely won't include phone support components, especially when you consider that the rivals it hopes to provide an option to (iOS, Android) provide a single OS that can be used on both. This is something HP needs to clarify.
I would think that they are internally questioning whether it's worth it to work on both. If they think investing in it now is worth it for a possible payoff later.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0