webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Should I wait?
Should I wait?

Old 04/03/2012, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey,

I am the proud owner of a Sprint Palm Pixi with Wifi. I love webOS and the phone itself but it's sadly becoming unreasonable to use. I've had my upgrade tempting me for about half a year now and I'm wondering if there's any reason I should hold off in hope of anything on Sprint. The little guy is slow loading maps, won't give me directions, and has a very limited apps (yet I STILL can't find the will power to upgrade). I'm wondering if there's any way to know if webOS will be able to be ported anytime soon or if I should move on for the time being and get back into the webOS mobile game (my touchpad is still totally awesome!) when more is known. I guess I'm feeling around to figure out what others are doing. Thanks!
mstrblueskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2012, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
Hey,

I am the proud owner of a Sprint Palm Pixi with Wifi. I love webOS and the phone itself but it's sadly becoming unreasonable to use. I've had my upgrade tempting me for about half a year now and I'm wondering if there's any reason I should hold off in hope of anything on Sprint. The little guy is slow loading maps, won't give me directions, and has a very limited apps (yet I STILL can't find the will power to upgrade). I'm wondering if there's any way to know if webOS will be able to be ported anytime soon or if I should move on for the time being and get back into the webOS mobile game (my touchpad is still totally awesome!) when more is known. I guess I'm feeling around to figure out what others are doing. Thanks!
get yourself a new veer off ebay for $100 and run it on the at&t network, or a new pre2 on verizon
protomaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think if you wait you will end up getting a clear one for yourself and i have also heard many new available features of webOS and they are not anything less than the other one..Hope you get a better one sooner..And i can say webOS still comes up with many more wonderful upgrades on it..
angeldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

You could probably pick up a Sprint Pre- pretty cheaply on eBay, and have Sprint activiate it. Obviously, it's not a workhorse of a phone anymore, but it might be a decent enough upgrade from a pixi, which I think has even less memory?

Then, if you are so inclined, you could get a Verizon or Unlocked Pre2, and engage in the FrankenPre process with that activated Sprint Pre- to make a Sprint Pre 2.

I made my Franken Pre2 after 2 years on a Pre- and it was well worth the performance boost and software upgrade to webOS 2.2.4. It's no brandspanking new HTC monster phone (or a Pre3, for that matter), but I'll sit happily on this phone at least until Open webOS releases.

From there, I wouldn't be surprised to see a little webOS internals magic happen to allow us to build a custom doctor that can load Open webOS on our old Palm/HP phones. We'll have to see about that one. But like I said, I can sit tight for now, as the Pre2 still feels like a huge upgrade compared to where I was at.

If you have the funds to go this route, I'd certainly recommend it.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
Hey,

If you want Sprint, then you will have to give up webOS (unless you can find a Pre- for sale online). If you want to stay with webOS, then you will have to give up Sprint (unless...see above).
I had a Sprint Pixi (withOUT wifi). I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I thought of it as the-little-smartphone-that-could. Yes, it's slow and limited (and remember, mind DIDN'T have wifi!), yet I still liked it.
Anyway, I eventually went online and got a Pre 3 and switched to AT&T -- and I haven't looked back (If Sprint had the Pre 3, I'd've stuck with Sprint. I have nothing against them. I was satisfied with their service. But they don't and I didn't!). I'm very happy. I suggest you think about picking up a Pre2 or Veer or Pre 3 online and switching to Verizon or AT&T. My guess is that you will be happy.

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The Pixi with wifi is the Pixi plus which has 256Mb of RAM and with that it's quite on par with the Pre- (and the keyboard is considerably better). So if you try to get anything for Sprint, look for some FrankenPre2.

Maybe wait until some people start hacking openwebos on some of the andriod phones out there... but till there are results, it might be early 2013. If you can hold that long... you can still decide then.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Should you wait? No. You should purchase a device that meets your needs today -- not hang on hoping for some webOS device to land on Sprint in the distant, distant future.

My Pre2 bit the dust (concrete actually). I tried the Veer, but it was not for me. I could not justify the high cost of a Pre3, so I turned to an android device.

It's not webOS! But the hardware quality and the quality of apps balances out the advantages of webOS.

Will I drop everything and pick up a webOS phone when one comes to market? You bet! But you have to live in the now. No company deserves the kind of loyalty that we have generously given to Palm and HP. And you should not limit yourself by hanging on to the hardware of the past.
mapenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
cgk

Right, it is pointless waiting in the tech world, get what suits your needs today and the future will take care of itself.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I gave up on the Palm Pre about a year ago and have stuck with my Galaxy Epic 4G since then. I have to tell you that at the moment I couldn't be happier with my phone, it is in no way webOS though and that is a shame. Android no matter what, even ICS, can't compete with webOS. But on the hardware side my Epic completely defeats my Palm Pre. The Epic 4G, not the touch, but the 4G overtook the Palm Pre by a long shot and considering you have your upgrade now you could get a phone that completely blows you away with it's performance. I know webOS is great but the phones are slow, and even a free to cheap $50 android phone from sprint would defeat a pixi as it really is that old. If you want a good phone with a keyboard get the Epic 4G, if you want a beast of a phone get the GS2 or wait for GS3 or even the Galaxy Note, if you still want a small phone get the iPhone 4S or wait for 5.
juliocmorales93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

You'll be waiting till the end of time on sprint. Move on. plus the sprint LTE phones are gonna start rolling out soon which will at least will have you ready if they ever get their network rolled out.
Old 04/06/2012, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

I made the switch from Sprint to ATT and got a Pre3 off of ebay. best decision i could have made. I'm actually saving over half of what i used to pay on sprint because i jumped on my aunt and uncles family plan. only downside is the data limit but with the money i'm saving its a non-issue.
Old 04/06/2012, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

No way, don't wait. I waited with my Pre, switched the EVO 4G thinking surely there will be a webOS phone when my contract with the EVO is up. Nope. EVO 4G LTE here I come!!

If you were happy and that little Pixi was meeting your needs, I would say don't switch just for switching sake, but it no longer sounds like that's the case with you.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2012, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
No way, don't wait. I waited with my Pre, switched the EVO 4G thinking surely there will be a webOS phone when my contract with the EVO is up. Nope. EVO 4G LTE here I come!!

If you were happy and that little Pixi was meeting your needs, I would say don't switch just for switching sake, but it no longer sounds like that's the case with you.
I think that's what I'm going to do too. Here's hoping we can port webOS onto that device!
mstrblueskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2012, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Here's hoping recent converts equal or exceed defectors...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0