webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS on Nook Color?
WebOS on Nook Color?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lalleyne

Old 03/30/2012, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Since Android kernel stuff is being merged into main Linux kernel and WebOS is going to be using the standard Linux kernel as well, why not port Open WebOS to Nook Color?
lalleyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carldc and bellonsn like this.
Old 03/30/2012, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

+1

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2012, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Glad to see mention of Nook here. B & N needs to consider developing an app for WebOS, too. I emailed them back in Sept. '11 about this. Their response was they are responsive to their customer's need...No app for WebOS yet. Well I wonder how many WebOS users are Nook device users as well? What if the WebOS users petitioned B&N in a groundswell effort? Would they respond differently?
a3xflybygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/01/2012, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yet another long time Palm User here hoping to see WebOS Open Source continuue growing & developing; w/ an eventual return to inclusion on mass produced hardware. In the meantime tho, I too have been wondering just how many of us current or previous Palm/WebOS users are out there who intended to purchase a TouchPad, but since TouchPad production ceased, have now instead become Nook Tablet or Nook Color users? I'd love to see a pole on that, bet there are lots of us out there! The Nook Tablet's comparitively low cost/competitive hardware specs, available cloud storage/16GB on device storage/32GB's storage via microSD card is hard to beat. Then add Nook's well established active development/hacking community, & the fact that B&N helped to establish a new sector of the tablet market w/their Nooks instead of becoming just another iWannaB. It all reminded me so much of Palm/WebOS & it's awesome homegrown community that I was instantly sold on Nook's new Tablet. & The thought of this sleek, quick, little tablet running open source WebOS.... that would be simply AMAZING!
wakegirl40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think Barnes and Noble would be a perfect match for WebOS. I have an original B&N Nook doorstop and a Palm Pre+ door stop! Both were great products that were abandoned by their creators almost as soon as they were born.

Both still function perfectly but lack of support means they are and will remain obsolete.

So go for it! people will only have to buy one product to be abandoned by both WebOS and Barnes and Noble
Palmpilot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2012, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

+1
Inexpensive, 7" tablet. I'm looking for something to become my carputer, and I'm not looking for an Android tablet. I'd love a webOS device so my phone doesn't have to be my carputer. Of course, BT would have to be fully enabled for this to all make sense, but still in the right direction.
FetusSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2012, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not likely. The Nook isn't marketed as a tablet the same way the Touchpad was or the Asus Transformer is; it's a media portal. They sell at a price with minimal profit/loss with the intent of the real income to come from e-sales.

WebOS puts the attention on the hardware, which is the exact opposite of what B&N wants.

There's a better chance that any WebOS-addicted engineers at Asus or Samsung would get blessing to release a WebOS ROM for their devices to test the water than there is for B&N to switch to WebOS.
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2012, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
There's a better chance that any WebOS-addicted engineers at Asus or Samsung would get blessing to release a WebOS ROM for their devices to test the water than there is for B&N to switch to WebOS.
I think you're misunderstanding the point of the open source. I'm no programmer, but as I understand it, unless the device is locked down on the bootloader, what the company wants doesn't matter. And I'm pretty sure there are custom Android ROMs out there, so it could be feasible anyway.
FetusSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook color webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0