webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > open webOS [[[ ] logo meeting
open webOS [[[ ] logo meeting
  Reply
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By BlueRQ
  • 1 Post By cvendra
  • 1 Post By techlover10
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By quiestbml

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03/27/2012, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
BlueRQ's Avatar
 
Posts: 39
hi everyone!

as promissed, here's the thread for your feedback, coments, suggestions, thoughts or anything you want to tell about the webOS Logo, Brand and Marketing...

i will have the Meeting with the webOS GBU Marketing Team on Friday (March 30th), so...

what do you want they to know?

RQ


[UPDATE]

hi! To everyone, I've been busy, but here's something about the meeting with the open webOS team...
the meeting was a questions and answers to me,

they asked me some questions, some are:

what you think about webOS?
how do you came up with the logo?
what would you change about webOS?

well, I'll told you my story:
I am an HP fan, I had my first HP at the age of 7 years old, immediately I loved it, it was an HP Vectra (1997), much better than my 2 previous computers for him, my dad had a palm in 1999, and I liked it, but I didn't use it much, so I never use a palm device again until the palm pre, I read about it on the internet and blogs, and I knew it was an iPhone killer, haha, then one day one of my customers asked me about which phone I had, I had an HP iPAQ 610, and I was recommending it, when he told me he was comment from Telcel and renew his contract, and got a new phone, and told me he it was a shame he had not asked me advice, and he showed me his phone, it was a Palm Pre, I use it for almost 2 hours browsing, and "feeling the phone" it was great, of course I told him that it was an excellent choice, and told him it was the iPhone killer hahaha, after that I told people to get either a Palm Pre or an HP iPAQ... Then after some time, HP decided to bought Palm, and immediately I start buying webOS devices, because I had to know the new HP devices, so now I have more than 60 HP devices, pcs, notebooks, iPAQs, GPSs, color laser, laser, inkjets, fax, all-in-ons, scanners, cameras, even an HP Designjet plotter, TVs, calculators, and many accessories haha, and now I own the first pre I use, haha, a pre plus, pre2, Pixi plus, veer, pre3s, touchpads and of course lots of touchstones. But there's something on the webOS devices, that I love, I bought the pre plus, because of HP, but I bought the other devices because of webOS, this is something HP has realized, the webOS community really loves webOS, people has a special feeling about webOS, something that is missing in other platforms, and they want to make the other people to feel the same about webOS, I suggested Manny paquiao's ad style, that shows webOS, but simpler, and of course as you suggested, not like the pre ad, haha.

then I explain my logo, which I think you know,
I always thought this should be the webos logo... I made it in about 2-3 minutes...

it has three cards, grouped, like this community that stay together supporting the platform.
and the cards, that shows the multitasking power of webOS,
and the open source, that is represented in the way the cards are shown that allows us to see the content of each card, as opposite to a bunch of cards one of each other, that you can only see what's in the top, like in a closed source OS...
and in the final version of the logo, the 1st and 3rd card are shown at a 13 degree angle, such is the same as the HP logo...

and about, what will I change about webOS, nothing,
but I will add somethings, like more apps, that as HP said they would do apps for companies, that we never saw...
of course devices, and many things haha, you name them....

and many people asked me in my email about if the logo was going to be in the webOS brand, the answer is maybe... Because they are making a brand, and if the logo fits, they will use it, that is something we will see in the comming months...

and now I'm working in some ideas of a webOS[[[ ] brand...
suggestions?

Last edited by bluerq; 04/04/2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: story
BlueRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carldc likes this.
Old 03/28/2012, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
carldc's Avatar
 
Posts: 440
I was just thinking about this today... One big thing we're missing is marketing. It's hard to increase the herd when we're all generally talking to ourselves.

I know the marketing will be limited, especially right now (I wouldn't expect to see any TV ads of course... but then, given webOS's history, that might not be such a bad thing!). I think you should start with Derek's excellent article in January: http://www.webosnation.com/webos-dee...-plan-not-code (especially his discussion of the "TiVo problem").

Abandon the Palm school of marketing with ads that would creep out David Lynch (creepy palm girl - YouTube -- BTW, notice how incredibly EASY it was to find those Palm ads with those search terms! That tells you something.). Take a lesson from Apple. We want to ENJOY Open webOS! It is FUN! At the same time, we want everyone to learn about (and here's where we learn from Apple) all the cool, productive, and USEful features that webOS offers. Apple takes features that Palm created three years ago and makes them look like they're Apple's latest invention. Turnabout is fair play!

The biggest stumbling block is no new hardware yet. However, we could encourage people to pick up existing webOS devices on Amazon and eBay (there are still many available) -- at least until porting Open webOS to Android devices is developed (I'm assuming THAT will happen BEFORE any NEW native webOS devices).

Well, that's my two cents. Go get 'em!
__________________
-carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)

Last edited by carldc; 03/28/2012 at 01:20 AM.
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2012, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
carldc's Avatar
 
Posts: 440
BTW, love the text version of the logo! Maybe someday people will come to recognize Open webOS just by the [[[ ]... our very own smilie!
__________________
-carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2012, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
What is the final name of the project going to be as far as marketing goes? HP Open webOS? Open webOS? I like the latter more.
yousifabdullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2012, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
carldc's Avatar
 
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousifabdullah View Post
What is the final name of the project going to be as far as marketing goes? HP Open webOS? Open webOS? I like the latter more.
I imagine either way, everyone will just say "webOS".
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2012, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
cvendra's Avatar
 
Posts: 123
webOS sounds much better than open webOS. I hope hey keep the open part discreetly.
cvendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by woosh likes this.
Old 03/30/2012, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by carldc View Post
BTW, love the text version of the logo! Maybe someday people will come to recognize Open webOS just by the [[[ ]... our very own smilie!
+1!
i didn't realise until you pointed it out but as long as the real logo reflects or is similar to the [[[ ] then i'm sure the association will soon pick up
maninwhitecoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2012, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Isandunk's Avatar
 
Posts: 112
Slightly off tangent, but I would like to know about their design team, if there is one. People, experience, some of their background etc.

Also, how we designers can contribute. I'm currently using GitHub, but is there a better way?

Are there already things that they need graphics for that we could supply?
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/01/2012, 03:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 155
I wanted to wait to release my halfbaked commercial ideas to the community, but now that I k ow about these meetings I can't wait. They are in an extremely unprofessional form I know but they show my ideas. I have not edited them and I know they are kinda cheesy. I'm just throwing them out there.

webOS Synergy

iOS vs. webOS
Setting: Living room of a house
Man sitting on sofa watching TV

(doorbell rings)
iPad: (monotone) I'm your iPad.
Man: (excited) Yes!!!!! Let's get set up!!!
iPad: Ok. Wifi network?
Man: crazynet72
iPad: Password?
Man: -bleeped-
iPad: Email...
---TITLE CARD---"3 HOURS LATER"---
iPad: You have one new email. You also have a FaceBook message from 2 hours ago that I didn't notify you about because my memory was full from my fake multitasking. For more updates hit refresh in each of the apps you use.
Man: (falls over)

-pans to next door neighbor-

(doorbell rings)
TouchPad: (happy) I'm your new touchpad!
Man: What's so great about that?
Touchpad: You will be shocked soon...let's get set up.
Touchpad: Wifi?
Man: Oh, it's...
---20 MINUTES LATER---
Touchpad: You have this update from John, a new email, three new pics, a status update from Joe, you just got poked............(speeds up)
Man: (shocked silence)

Announcer: Synergy. Just one of the things that makes webOS great. ("Cards, security, synergy, Flash" on screen). Get ready for the future, today. webOS.


webOS Flash
iOS vs. webOS

Setting: Typical office
People working in cubicles
Boss (bursts into a cubicle): I need a funny cat video and I need it NOW!!!
Worker 1: I just have the most popular tablet here, let me pull one up.
Boss: I want one from FLASHVIDEOS.com
Worker 1: I can't load those, sir.
Worker 2 (bursts in): I CAN!!! (holds up HP TouchPad)
Boss (points to Worker 1): You're taking his job!
Worker 1: But-
Boss (interrupts Worker 1): You're fired!
Announcer: Don't get pulled into the nonexistant HTML5 hype. Flash. Just one of the things that makes webOS great. ("Cards, security, synergy, Flash" on screen). Get ready for the future, today. webOS.



webOS feature list
Setting: Common electronics store
Customer talking to associate.

Associate: Find everything you need?
Customer: Almost. I'd like to buy a tablet.
Associate: Ok. Would you like some help?
Customer: I don't know which type to get.
Associate: I'll ask you some questions and help you figure that out.
Customer: OK.
Associate: Do you want the whole web or half of it?
Customer (confused): Huh?
Associate (continuing): Smooth multitasking or clumsy multitasking? A simple look or a complicated look? The feeling of a full featured computer or a large smartphone? The...-screen freezes-
Announcer: The competition just can't stack up. Stay ahead, with the most fully featured operating system you've never heard of. webOS. Get ready for the future, today.


webOS Enyo Compatibility
Setting: Man's home
Man arrives home from work

Man: -Tosses his bag on a sofa-
Man: -Picks up his TouchPad from his desk, starts using an Enyo app-
Man: -Walks to wife in kitchen- Hey honey, just saw this on Enyo app.
Wife: Oh cool, lemme see! -She picks up her iPad and opens the same app- That's cool!
Kid (walks in): EPIC! Where is it?
Wife: Get your Tab and go to www.enyoapp.com.
Kid -picks up an Android tablet and opens the same app- THAT'S AWESOME
Announcer: Enyo. Write once, deploy anywhere. A technology brought to you by webOS. Get ready for the future, today.
__________________
- techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
techlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by skat_et_dieu likes this.
Old 05/07/2012, 07:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 16
Yo I love your ad ideas! Let's make them a reality!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlover10 View Post
I wanted to wait to release my halfbaked commercial ideas to the community, but now that I k ow about these meetings I can't wait. They are in an extremely unprofessional form I know but they show my ideas. I have not edited them and I know they are kinda cheesy. I'm just throwing them out there.

webOS Synergy

iOS vs. webOS
Setting: Living room of a house
Man sitting on sofa watching TV

(doorbell rings)
iPad: (monotone) I'm your iPad.
Man: (excited) Yes!!!!! Let's get set up!!!
iPad: Ok. Wifi network?
Man: crazynet72
iPad: Password?
Man: -bleeped-
iPad: Email...
---TITLE CARD---"3 HOURS LATER"---
iPad: You have one new email. You also have a FaceBook message from 2 hours ago that I didn't notify you about because my memory was full from my fake multitasking. For more updates hit refresh in each of the apps you use.
Man: (falls over)

-pans to next door neighbor-

(doorbell rings)
TouchPad: (happy) I'm your new touchpad!
Man: What's so great about that?
Touchpad: You will be shocked soon...let's get set up.
Touchpad: Wifi?
Man: Oh, it's...
---20 MINUTES LATER---
Touchpad: You have this update from John, a new email, three new pics, a status update from Joe, you just got poked............(speeds up)
Man: (shocked silence)

Announcer: Synergy. Just one of the things that makes webOS great. ("Cards, security, synergy, Flash" on screen). Get ready for the future, today. webOS.


webOS Flash
iOS vs. webOS

Setting: Typical office
People working in cubicles
Boss (bursts into a cubicle): I need a funny cat video and I need it NOW!!!
Worker 1: I just have the most popular tablet here, let me pull one up.
Boss: I want one from FLASHVIDEOS.com
Worker 1: I can't load those, sir.
Worker 2 (bursts in): I CAN!!! (holds up HP TouchPad)
Boss (points to Worker 1): You're taking his job!
Worker 1: But-
Boss (interrupts Worker 1): You're fired!
Announcer: Don't get pulled into the nonexistant HTML5 hype. Flash. Just one of the things that makes webOS great. ("Cards, security, synergy, Flash" on screen). Get ready for the future, today. webOS.



webOS feature list
Setting: Common electronics store
Customer talking to associate.

Associate: Find everything you need?
Customer: Almost. I'd like to buy a tablet.
Associate: Ok. Would you like some help?
Customer: I don't know which type to get.
Associate: I'll ask you some questions and help you figure that out.
Customer: OK.
Associate: Do you want the whole web or half of it?
Customer (confused): Huh?
Associate (continuing): Smooth multitasking or clumsy multitasking? A simple look or a complicated look? The feeling of a full featured computer or a large smartphone? The...-screen freezes-
Announcer: The competition just can't stack up. Stay ahead, with the most fully featured operating system you've never heard of. webOS. Get ready for the future, today.


webOS Enyo Compatibility
Setting: Man's home
Man arrives home from work

Man: -Tosses his bag on a sofa-
Man: -Picks up his TouchPad from his desk, starts using an Enyo app-
Man: -Walks to wife in kitchen- Hey honey, just saw this on Enyo app.
Wife: Oh cool, lemme see! -She picks up her iPad and opens the same app- That's cool!
Kid (walks in): EPIC! Where is it?
Wife: Get your Tab and go to www.enyoapp.com.
Kid -picks up an Android tablet and opens the same app- THAT'S AWESOME
Announcer: Enyo. Write once, deploy anywhere. A technology brought to you by webOS. Get ready for the future, today.
skat_et_dieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
When browsing for wallpapers I came across http://www.webosnation.com/webos-o-s...and-computer-1...

This configuration:


...really is a disservice to the community. While on the surface it is cool in a flippant sort of way, the image of distress and need for rescue sets the wrong tone. I understand how easy it is (from an English speaking perspective) to gravitate toward webOSOS. It's just bad marketing to outsiders and a lame injoke for users of webOS.

I'd much prefer just plain webOS - but that puts it back into the mindset of HP and Palm management of the platform.

To differentiate from that, why not: OSwebOS for Open Source webOS?
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
HelloNNNewman's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,203
@RumoredNow - How is that a disservice? I think you completely missed the point of those logos and don't know the history of where they came from....

Back in August of last year, Derek started a campaign to save webOS. He called it webOS.O.S. and it became a grass-roots effort to draw attention to saving the platform that began before the announcement of Open webOS. It wasn't just some 'flippant' in-joke (as you put it) to make fun of the situation, but a call out to supporters of the platform to get vocal and let people know how they felt. You might want to read the following front page post about it

Initial Campaign:
http://www.webosnation.com/webos-o-s...e-our-platform

The link you posted above for the wallpapers was for a group of images that members here at webOS Nation were continually asking for in order to support this campaign.
__________________



Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/07/2012 at 12:08 PM.
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 05/07/2012, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Ok... I did appreciate some of that from the page I had linked. And sorry if I stepped on some sore spots.

However, as a new user with a fresh perspective it looks like the community feels the ship is sinking. And that may very well be how they feel/felt. Why would that attract outside support/interest? Being lumped in with the "other" category in demographics about mobile OS behind iOS, behind Android, behind WinPhone, behind Symbian... An image of a sinking ship / going down for the third time / extreme duress does NOT attract new users who will be needed to grow the user base...

Not to ignore history... That isn't the intent of my above post. Rather to find a way to positively embrace the coming future of Open Source web OS and make it a palatable, attractive alternative that others will want to look into.

I selected a Pre 2 when phone shopping - knowing full well it was outdated and unsupported - because of the exciting possibilities of open sourcing a smooth UI and proven mobile multitasker. I want to proudly show others that it is worth taking a chance on. S.O.S. is just not encouraging to anyone who hasn't researched the platform and sends a "why bother?" message to prospective users.

Just a noob's $0.02.
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 05/07/2012, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
HelloNNNewman's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,203
Totally understand and appreciate the feedback from a new member At the time of the creation of the webOS.O.S the feeling for the platform was that of a sinking ship. Many of us have been through this with Palm before over the years (or very similar) and the feeling was "not again". You aren't stepping on any sore spots, but were comparing a campaign that was launched after Leo killed off all hardware for webOS and we were left with no clue as to what was going to happen. Thankfully, Leo is gone (too late)... and now that HP announced webOS heading to Open Source, the community has some hope again. Unfortunately, it's still going to be a slow ride for a while.
__________________



Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 07/14/2012, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,337
BlueRQ, I hope you don't mind, but I took your winning logo and added a little flair to it. They are 1024x768 sized.
Attached Images
File Type: png blueneonwebos.png (93.4 KB, 39 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png greenhalowebos.png (37.7 KB, 27 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png lavawebos.png (59.9 KB, 27 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png lensflarewebos.png (177.9 KB, 35 views) Email Attachment
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2012, 02:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
BlueRQ, I hope you don't mind, but I took your winning logo and added a little flair to it. They are 1024x768 sized.
Whatever happened to simpler-is-better?
quiestbml is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 07/15/2012, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,337
It's my preference, I'm not big on plain jane. To each their own.
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Tags
contest, logo, open webos

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0