webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Pre2, Pre3 & Veer
Pre2, Pre3 & Veer
Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By immovablesoup
  • 2 Post By xandros9
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By Rnp

Old 03/27/2012, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

I think that Open webOS should definitely be ported to the Pre2, Pre3 and Veer, as these phones aren't that old, and the Pre2 and Pre3 in particular are still fairly powerful by today's standards. But what are the chances of HP or webOS Internals bringing Open webOS to these devices?

My Pre2 waits in anticipation...
immovablesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bigredgpk, Rnp, xandros9 and 4 others like this.
Thanked by Rnp, Vistaus
Old 03/27/2012, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

HP has stated that these and the Touchpad are legacy devices. This euphemism means that HP will provide minimal or no support for them.

Once Open webOS becomes available, I believe webOS Internals will be the channel for support of these devices.

-
Dan Donovan
Old 03/27/2012, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

i just hope we phone users get something
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Vistaus like this.
Old 03/28/2012, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
HP has stated that these and the Touchpad are legacy devices. This euphemism means that HP will provide minimal or no support for them.

-
Dan Donovan
It's logical, true. But I've never read that statement. Also, HP gave 2 upgrades to the legacy Pre not long ago even though the legacy Pre is legacy. So you'll never mow how thjngs tun out.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2012, 01:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
There's also the continued insistence by HP that they have no interest in smartphones and doesn't intend to do anything for or about them in the future, but we'll pretend the HP employees and others developing for the Open webOS project didn't listen to that.
Fortunately HP will not be the sole determinant of the direction that open webOS takes or what hardware that it ends up on.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2012, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

dignitary,

It actually takes working against the way Enyo works to seriously break compatibility with multiple screen sizes. I've had GVoice running on anything from a Pre-, to an iPod Touch, to TouchPad, to iPad, and some of my friends with Android tabs that are 1280 res, as well. I did have to design a quite different interface for the phones, but it was actually quite easy to do so, and have the interface adapt completely to the size of the display, as to whether it used a tab-based interface, or tablet style.

If I actually knew CSS, I could probably get it to be even slicker.

I don't think that we're necessarily going to see all the problems that you're thinking of, performance wise. I have a feeling that some work is being done on some pretty low end equipment, and I have a strong feeling that at least some things about Open webOS are going to surprise us in a very good way.

I've never been known for being an optimist, either.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 03/29/2012, 03:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

excuse me, but what ghz and gb are u talking about? android 2.3.5 runs on a 600mhz device with 256mb ram! pre 2 has same firepower as iphone 4, and yet the ip4 is running ios 5 smoothly. dont u gigahertz me... cores, gigahertz? what? we need an i7 for webos? comon. pre 2 is VERY strong hardware-wise

edit: isnt it important to make the os as optimised as possible, and to run on lowest end hardware as possible? no wonder ppl start to leave webos when it has the community like this... i have less faith in this day by day... im soo discouraged to continue to use open webos and give my money for it when i see posts like this. i feel i should rather support other communities that are actually trying to give as much as they can to exsisting users.

whell guess what? if they dont bring open webos to all exsisting hardware that runs webos the market share of open webos will be 0% cause noone will buy new hardware that has os that is doomed.

Last edited by Radmila; 03/29/2012 at 04:16 AM.
Radmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2012, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Pixi plus should be powerful enough to support Android 2.3.6. I also can't understand why webOS can't work at least acceptable on Pixi's hardware.
Old 03/29/2012, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Pixi plus should be powerful enough to support Android 2.3.6.
With 256MB in RAM?? Oh, c'mon... This is a very bad joke...

All devices with less than 512MB and Android are very, very more than terrible devices...

Best Regards... B)
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 03/29/2012, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
With 256MB in RAM?? Oh, c'mon... This is a very bad joke...

All devices with less than 512MB and Android are very, very more than terrible devices...

Best Regards... B)
No, those devices are far more usable than Pixi. You can check at pdadb net Pixi plus and than search for devices with same CPU and amount of RAM.
Old 03/30/2012, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
No, those devices are far more usable than Pixi. You can check at pdadb net Pixi plus and than search for devices with same CPU and amount of RAM.
Ah, yes? So... come here and say this to my Moto Milestone (Droid GSM), because he don't know that!!!!

Best Regards...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0