webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS on a Pantech Element LTE 4G
webOS on a Pantech Element LTE 4G
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By TopTongueBarry
  • 1 Post By gbp
  • 2 Post By xandros9
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman

Old 03/24/2012, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

I could see a very good reason to port OPEN webOS for use on a Pantech Element.

It's 7" like the Touchpad GO. Its a 4G LTE tablet device, plus its also waterproof and submersible in case it slips out of your hands while you're relaxing in the jacuzzi.

TTB

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 03/28/2012 at 03:47 PM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sorli, OldSkoolVWLover and Cantaffordit like this.
Old 03/24/2012, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

are you thinking of Open webOS, or 3.0? it definately sounds interesting!
g.vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2012, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Vos View Post
are you thinking of Open webOS, or 3.0? it definately sounds interesting!
I'm sure he means open webOS...anything else would be quite naughty.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2012, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't think I'd want to test that theory -- unless Pantech has seriously upped their QC, their phones that I've looked at feel like they are so cheap they'll crumble to bits in your hand if you hold too tight
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2012, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

i think the devices with the most users are a priority
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2012, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
I could see a very good reason to port webOS for use on a Pantech Element.

It's 7" like the Touchpad GO. Its a 4G LTE tablet device, plus its also waterproof and submersible in case it slips out of your hands while you're relaxing in the jacuzzi.

TTB
+1, I would love to see that happening on Phones too. Shockproof waterproof features will be another area for most OEMS to explore before Apple shows them how to do it,
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 03/25/2012, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbp View Post
+1, I would love to see that happening on Phones too. Shockproof waterproof features will be another area for most OEMS to explore before Apple shows them how to do it,
Sanyo made at least one model for Sprint that was a CDMA PTT, shockproof and water reisistant. They might've sold a few of them had they not been PlaySkool Blue colored.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 03/25/2012, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
They might've sold a few of them had they not been PlaySkool Blue colored.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that hates that! Why do manufacturers think that if you want a device that can deal with the splashes and bumps that come from using it in outdoor activities then automatically it should be neon orange or some color like that? After you take it on that weekend camping trip you're still going to have to take it into a meeting on Monday morning for goodness sake...
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2012, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There was this disturbing trend that anything that was built for "Sports" was either PlaySkool Blue or School Bus Yellow. yuck.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 03/25/2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Speaking of rugged and/or water resistant/proof smartphones, Casio has the Commando...and they may be coming out with a G'Shock style I think. I noticed a thread over @ the Android side of te house about it. I am looking for a ruggedized phone...but if it has to be Android, I at least want Ice Cream Sandwich on it. Casio so far has Gingerbread.
Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2012, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Sanyo made at least one model for Sprint that was a CDMA PTT, shockproof and water reisistant. They might've sold a few of them had they not been PlaySkool Blue colored.
I never knew about this Sanyo. But it looks like a beast. I

How hard it is to make a tough smart phone ? I see the screens cracking and cases breaking for many phones. Its about time someone makes a good looking tough phone.
Old 03/26/2012, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
There was this disturbing trend that anything that was built for "Sports" was either PlaySkool Blue or School Bus Yellow. yuck.
Yup,

Canon makes a tough camera the D10 , which was blue and then they followed it up with a D 20 , another ugly looking one.
Old 03/26/2012, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
Speaking of rugged and/or water resistant/proof smartphones, Casio has the Commando...and they may be coming out with a G'Shock style I think. I noticed a thread over @ the Android side of te house about it. I am looking for a ruggedized phone...but if it has to be Android, I at least want Ice Cream Sandwich on it. Casio so far has Gingerbread.
I heard the battery life on that is bad. I am waiting for casio to make great looking rugged phone with good battery life. I think Casio is the only once at this point ahead of everyone.
Old 03/26/2012, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

I vote for the Motorola Admiral!

Motorola Admiral - Sprint Android Smartphone with Push-To-Talk - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
jezzeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

There's also the Caterpillar B-10.

Doesn't look too exciting to me. I think I would still prefer the Casio Commando.

Caterpillar announces CAT B10 rugged Android smartphone | Ubergizmo

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 03:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
I could see a very good reason to port OPEN webOS for use on a Pantech Element.

TTB
I'm hopeful that with HP releasing more technology and moving towards a standard Linux foundation that Android uses...it will become easier for those with know how to port webOS to Droid, Pantech, Samsung and otherwise. Would love to see webOS on my Droid Bionic!

Android ICS Gummy build for the Bionic is nice, but wow I sure miss webOS' interface and simplicity! Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 05:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

they need to mass market water-resistance
or apple will come out with the first water-resistant phone
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TopTongueBarry and Grabber5.0 like this.
Old 04/05/2012, 06:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
they need to mass market water-resistance
or apple will come out with the first water-resistant phone
There's a bobbing for Apples joke there somewhere

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and davidtm like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0