webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Icelandic Government to Consider Open Source Software?
Icelandic Government to Consider Open Source Software?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SnotBoogie

Old 03/22/2012, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Take a look at this article: Icelandic Government looks to Open Source with Pulic Institutions

An interesting read, perhaps Open webOS is in their future.
EvanKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2012, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

seems to be about desktop software.
Old 03/27/2012, 03:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

What's to say that Open webOS couldn't be desktop software? I'd personally love to see webOS running on laptops, netbooks, desktops, etc.
EvanKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2012, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
cgk

Why would they use a phone/tablet is for the desktop when there are better supported open source desktop options?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2012, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
What's to say that Open webOS couldn't be desktop software? I'd personally love to see webOS running on laptops, netbooks, desktops, etc.
Well the fact that something like Ubuntu, IS Open Source Desktop Software, and the fact that Open webOS ISN'T complete, nor desktop software. Maybe it could be at some point, but as it is right now, it isn't.
Old 03/27/2012, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
gbp

Population of Iceland is less than the Touchpads sold in firesale.

I don't really give any importance to it unless they spend money,resources and time on webOS.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2012, 11:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
I didn't say it couldn't. Maybe it will. Fact still remains it is not right now. Which is an obstacle if they are looking for an open source desktop operating system right now. But who knows what will happen down the road.
Old 03/27/2012, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbp View Post
Population of Iceland is less than the Touchpads sold in firesale.

I don't really give any importance to it unless they spend money,resources and time on webOS.
wow that's crazy. Iceland has only 300k people or just over that. It's like the population of Riverside.

There's a funny part in the book Boomerang by Michael Lewis where he's discussing how small Iceland is and he talks about how everyone honestly knows Bjork cause the place is so small everyone knows everyone.

Edit:
here's the quote
Quote:
Because Iceland is really just one big family, it’s simply annoying to go around asking Icelanders if they’ve met Bjork. Of course they’ve met Björk; who hasn’t met Björk? Who, for that matter, didn’t know Björk when she was two? “Yes, I know Björk,” a professor of finance at the University of Iceland says in reply to my question, in a weary tone. “She can’t sing, and I know her mother from childhood, and they were both crazy. That she is so well known outside of Iceland tells me more about the world than it does about Björk.”
Great book by the way about the causes of the financial problems in various parts of the world like Greece, Iceland, & Germany.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/28/2012 at 02:31 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2012, 08:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
wow that's crazy. Iceland has only 300k people or just over that. It's like the population of Riverside.

There's a funny part in the book Boomerang by Michael Lewis where he's discussing how small Iceland is and he talks about how everyone honestly knows Bjork cause the place is so small everyone knows everyone.

Great book by the way about the causes of the financial problems in various parts of the world like Greece, Iceland, & Germany.
Thanks for the info on the book.

On a second thought, I would endorse Iceland to spend their budget (do they have one ?) on webOS before going bankrupt again
Old 03/28/2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the book.

On a second thought, I would endorse Iceland to spend their budget (do they have one ?) on webOS before going bankrupt again

i listened to the audio book. So much faster then reading since you can do it while driving. The author also wrote Moneyball, The Blind Side, Liar's Poker and The Big Short. That chapter basically makes the point that Iceland was a almost entirely a fishing economy and the people got sick of it and saw basically free money in the financial markets and everyone decided to become Wall Street style currency traders, but basically with little education. As Lewis put it was making money out of nothing. They thought "fishing is hard, being a currency trader is easy. Let's do the easy stuff." And their bank where stupid and loaned them money. And for 5 years they survived. Then they lost 100 billion dollars. 300k people with more debt then Greece. More debt then Microsoft has cash in the bank. Ooops! regardless an enlightening and educational read about all the different things that caused economies to collapse all over the world. Which brings me to you to your question. I have know clue if they have a budget, lol, cause they seemed in bad dire straits. I have only loosely followed what happened so i hope for their sake they are in a better financial position.
Old 03/28/2012, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
i listened to the audio book. So much faster then reading since you can do it while driving. The author also wrote Moneyball, The Blind Side, Liar's Poker and The Big Short. That chapter basically makes the point that Iceland was a almost entirely a fishing economy and the people got sick of it and saw basically free money in the financial markets and everyone decided to become Wall Street style currency traders, but basically with little education. As Lewis put it was making money out of nothing. They thought "fishing is hard, being a currency trader is easy. Let's do the easy stuff." And their bank where stupid and loaned them money. And for 5 years they survived. Then they lost 100 billion dollars. 300k people with more debt then Greece. More debt then Microsoft has cash in the bank. Ooops! regardless an enlightening and educational read about all the different things that caused economies to collapse all over the world. Which brings me to you to your question. I have know clue if they have a budget, lol, cause they seemed in bad dire straits. I have only loosely followed what happened so i hope for their sake they are in a better financial position.
Funny we are talking about budget when all the 300 K needs is shelter and food when they cannot catch fish :-).
Old 03/29/2012, 03:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Funny we are talking about budget when all the 300 K needs is shelter and food when they cannot catch fish :-).
lol. I'd bet you some of them would tell you they need a Range Rover.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0