webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Sept 2012 HP webOS open source ready, then go for them.
Sept 2012 HP webOS open source ready, then go for them.
Like Tree7Likes

Old 03/25/2012, 01:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
Fragmentation happened in android world because multiple oems wanted to differentiate themselves from the multitude of other android makers by adding an additional layer of UI. So no one was willing to update their ui every time google released a new version of Android which leads to multiple different versions. The cost of revising uis particularly when the phone is sold already is too much.
If an oem takes on webos it will be a company with some money and willing to risk who is NOT doing well in the android race. There won't be an immediate need to revise webos. If the world ends and webos becomes popular then that will become a new (maybe welcome!) problem in the future. If open webOS does do it right though, Oems won't have to modify too much.
Good point and agree. If webOS open source starts including everything what is on any mobile OS and goes beyond making a new standard , I donīt think any OEM will ask for anything else to make a differentiation/fragmentation Then they will have to go with apps making paid ones free or including more features and power in hardware .
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2012, 11:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
Fragmentation happened in android world because multiple oems wanted to differentiate themselves from the multitude of other android makers by adding an additional layer of UI. So no one was willing to update their ui every time google released a new version of Android which leads to multiple different versions. The cost of revising uis particularly when the phone is sold already is too much.
If an oem takes on webos it will be a company with some money and willing to risk who is NOT doing well in the android race. There won't be an immediate need to revise webos. If the world ends and webos becomes popular then that will become a new (maybe welcome!) problem in the future. If open webOS does do it right though, Oems won't have to modify too much.
But see this is the exact problem with webOS and people's completely blind optimism around these parts of the Internet. The "this won't happen to us, because we're too good" mentality.

Let's say webOS does what everyone wants and skyrocket to third, second, or even first place for mobile OSes. Do you really think that all the OEMs that would be making devices would not have differentiating factors? Even between their own models? Think high end and low end devices, no fragmentation between those?

Mark my words, if webOS "makes it" there will be fragmentation and if there is fragmentation everyone around here will proclaim it a good thing.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treacl likes this.
Thanked By: treacl
Old 03/25/2012, 01:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
But see this is the exact problem with webOS and people's completely blind optimism around these parts of the Internet. The "this won't happen to us, because we're too good" mentality.

Let's say webOS does what everyone wants and skyrocket to third, second, or even first place for mobile OSes. Do you really think that all the OEMs that would be making devices would not have differentiating factors? Even between their own models? Think high end and low end devices, no fragmentation between those?

Mark my words, if webOS "makes it" there will be fragmentation and if there is fragmentation everyone around here will proclaim it a good thing.
I agree with you 100%. As long as there are third party OEMs involved in building webOS devices there will be fragmentation. And actually I think the fragmentation will likely start early on, because the OEMs are going to be thinking that they sure don't want to fail like HP just did with their hardware, and are going to want to work on "fixing" the default webOS system to make sure that they can compensate for perceived inadequacies.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treacl likes this.
Thanked By: treacl
Old 03/25/2012, 05:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

At this point all I care about is augmentation of the webOS platform.
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0