webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > community device project
community device project
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By minipot
  • 1 Post By sledge007

Old 03/20/2012, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Many people have talked about making our own community device,well there's no point talking about it its just best to do it. So as far as I see (I'm no webos expert Dev I just love the platform.) We need to get on as a community so pleasce offer ur skills to help

To do this we need:
Positive comments non of the ur not gonna be able to do it.etc

A meeting place probably a Google group.

Designs.

Name

Fundraising in some form

Schematics. Etc

People with contacts (small manafactuerers, webos internals.etc)

I'm doing this to help the community not for money or to be the big cheese i just want to organize us rather than hqve some of us arguing others about who wants to do what to keep an immense platform alive.please offer support and help

Last edited by minipot; 03/20/2012 at 02:04 PM.
minipot is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sorli and Zukny like this.
Old 03/20/2012, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minipot View Post
Many people have talked about making our own community device,well there's no point talking about it its just best to do it. So as far as I see (I'm no webos expert Dev I just love the platform.) We need to get on as a community so pleasce offer ur skills to help

To do this we need:
Positive comments non of the ur not gonna be able to do it.etc

A meeting place probably a Google group.

Designs.

Name

Fundraising in some form

Schematics. Etc

People with contacts (small manafactuerers, webos internals.etc)

I'm doing this to help the community not for money or to be the big cheese i just want to organize us rather than hqve some of us arguing others about who wants to do what to keep an immense platform alive.please offer support and help
Some of us have started to actually do this (very recently) Lawrence92 seems to have worked up a very solid plan and seems to have some very solid contacts. So far we have been discussing this w/ him through email and through forums.

I thought of an idea to have us all do another WebOS phone contest (sorta like the develop our Open WebOS logo) instead let's develop a concept phone together. Once that is done, I can work on the specifications through the use of Autocad etc.. and create some 3d imagery (unless someone is better at 3d then I am)

but anyway back to the point.

my email is [email protected]

I suggest anyone that is interested in this email Lawrence92 and have him open the Google Group for us all to join and collaborate on this as a whole.

If Lawrence92 doesn't want the group to entertain this idea, or if he falls off the planet.. I am willing to do the nitty gritty work in getting the group created. etc...
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok cool so I don't have to go through the pain of setting up. As zunky said guys lets go help lawrence92
minipot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think that the more productive and doable project would be to port webOS to existing Android hardware once it is open-sourced.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
I think that the more productive and doable project would be to port webOS to existing Android hardware once it is open-sourced.
I would have to agree here. As much as I'd like a unique new webOS phone, a port is much more feasible. BUT I'm not knocking the idea down, I'll support in any way I can. Just wondering if that time & effort we put, in is better spent elsewhere.
Stevesrjr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
I would have to agree here. As much as I'd like a unique new webOS phone, a port is much more feasible. BUT I'm not knocking the idea down, I'll support in any way I can. Just wondering if that time & effort we put, in is better spent elsewhere.
Better spent elsewhere? .. What do you mean? Walking the dog or watching tv? or do you mean porting WebOS to another device.

The thinking behind the idea is simple..bring WebOS back to cell phones/tablets/ etc.. and get it back on the shelves. It will take a lot of work (more work then porting it)
But right now there is an opportunity that doesn't present itself very often. For the community to take charge & deliver something unique and that truly speaks to the user experience.

If you are interested in helping out. Please email me w/ your list of qualifications so I can bring it up to our Google Round Table Discussion. The change in culture has already started.. It all depends if you wanna be apart of it.
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

So here is the first stab at a DIY phone from the good folks at MIT. If they build it will you come with open WebOS goodness? Story on CNET...

Awesome DIY cell phone has universal appeal | Crave - CNET

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
JackisBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

For the design, I think maybe we can ask Jason Wang to change up his HTC Eden concept for webOS:
HTC New Eden 1 Concept Cellphone by Jason Wang Yanko Design

This looks like something unique and a phone that many would want. The bottom portion just needs to be different. A webOS phone shouldn't have buttons, so maybe change the front of the eden design to just a slab of glass covered by a solid piece of aluminum like he already has. I wonder if that's something hard to actually engineer. I assume the back of the aluminum the black box is probably for antenna to go through for reception, which is always a great idea because metal tend to have weaker signal receptions. Just an idea, because that guy seems to do great work and probably wouldn't mind doing something like this for fun.
LuckyPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's a nice looking concept phone. Eden.....where have I heard that name before?
Old 04/27/2012, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Very pretty, but metal, LiPo batteries and touchstones are a bad combination when put in series.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 05:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Maybe get some inspiration from OpenPandora and OpenMoko GTA04
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 06:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
Maybe get some inspiration from OpenPandora and OpenMoko GTA04
OpenMoko reminds me the Veer quite a lot in some way

Just the price is no way near what it should be and the specs are way below par for a good phone.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 06:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
OpenMoko reminds me the Veer quite a lot in some way

Just the price is no way near what it should be and the specs are way below par for a good phone.
A community created device with high-end specs for a competitive price is never, ever going to happen.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0