webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Inexpensive tablet candidate for a port? Link enclosed.
Inexpensive tablet candidate for a port? Link enclosed.
Like Tree1Likes

Old 03/15/2012, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Since HP isn't releasing any new Open webOS hardware in the near future we all realize that we're going to have to figure a way to get our favourite OS onto other devices and thanks to open sourcing, we can actually accomplish this - hopefully without too much trouble and expense.

Anyhow, long story short, I came across a potential tablet candidate called Lagoon for an Open webOS port. I am curious for the group's feedback. I figure we're going to come across a lot of Chinese tablets in the future and now thanks to the iPad 3 the specifications for the alternate tablets are going to have to improve. So my question is, is this a suitable tablet to get into the hands of the community to start porting development on?

Thoughts?

It has similar specifications to our beloved TouchPad = http://www.lightinthebox.com/lagoon-...p_p257316.html for $229.99 USD.

Specifications:

General
Operating System Android 2.3, 3.0UI
Model MID97D
Pointing Device 5-Points
Battery Type Rechargeable polymer battery,8000MAH
Battery / Run Time (up to) 10h for playing music, 4h for playing video, 5h for web surfing
Miscellaneous / Color Silver side
Dimensions / W x D x H 241*186*9.8MM
Net Weight 0.73kg
Storage and Expansion
Hard Drive Type NAND Flash
Hard Drive Capacity 16GB built in.
Front camera (not sure of resolution) and 2.0 MP rear cameras
Input/Output Connectors

Processor Type Rockchip 2918 *turns out this is SINGLE CORE not dual
Processor Clock Speed 1.2GHz
Processor / Manufacturer Rockchip
Processor Model RK2918*

* Found this out: rk2918 uses GC800 - 57 M tri/s & 575 Mpix/s - super strong 3D but middle of pack for 2D fillrate but according to Chipestimate.com it's doesn't have those numbers so I am not sure what is right: http://www.chipestimate.com/ip.php?id=18719

Then again checking Vivante's own specs for the GC800 they are correct so not sure who's right...http://www.vivantecorp.com/p_mvr.html#GC800

Cache Memory / Type DDR3
Cache Memory / Installed Size 1G DDR3 RAM
Display Diagonal Size 9.7 inch
Max Resolution IPS 1024*768 Pixels 4:3
Display Technology IPS

Ports
1*DC In
1*Earphone
1*TF card slot (support for additional 16 GB)
2*USB2.0,One host,one OTG

Communications
Networking / Data Link Protocol Wifi
Wireless Connection 802.11b/g/n (high sensitivity)
Support Format
Video H.264, VP8, RV, WMV, AVS, H.263, MPEG4 etc1080P, YouTube, 720P, HTML5, Flash10.3, Support all video formats
Audio MP3/WMA/WAV/AAC, AAC+, Support all music formats
Picture JPG, BMP, PNG etc

What's in the box Tablet PC x1
USB Cable x1
User Manual (English) x1
AC Adapter x1
Languages English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Dutch, Danish, Russian,
Polish, Norwegian, Swedish, Czech, Turkish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese

Last edited by chaosdivine; 03/15/2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Forgot half the specs - duh!
chaosdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2012, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Can we find out what processor it uses, and how much actual ram it has?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2012, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Google-** turned up this 9.7inch Android 2.3v Tablet PC /3G WIFI Netbook MID-97D products, buy 9.7inch Android 2.3v Tablet PC /3G WIFI Netbook MID-97D products from alibaba.com
CPU Rockchip 2918 1.2G
and memory is 1GB? (512?)

Edit: Looks like Rockchip 2918 is a popular Chinese SOC, source code for the SDK is available. However it looks like it has problems with power consumption and heat.

Last edited by pfaffa; 03/15/2012 at 06:38 PM.
pfaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2012, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Can we find out what processor it uses, and how much actual ram it has?
Sorry, forgot half the specs! Updated the original post.

@pfaffa, Interesting that the Rockchop 2918 has heat and power problems...

I would love to find out the manufacturer for this though as that's the company we should approach for discussion on building us a custom device rather than shoehorning webOS on to an existing tablet.

Question: Is the gesture area of the Touchpad (along the edge of the screen) a hardware implementation or is it software (OS) related? I mean, is there some special sensors built into the area around the TouchPad screen or how does it know you're finger swiping?

Also, there is no notification one-touch button on this device. Perhaps one of the other ones could be mapped. It does have dual USB ports which is nice. One can be a host apparently (stick a usb key in).

The 16 GB limitation of the Transflash card is peculiar. Wonder why that is?

Also: Found really interesting discussion about the CPU and graphics performance over at Slatedroid: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/2091...p-2918-tablet/

Last edited by chaosdivine; 03/15/2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added question and notification button stuff.
Old 03/16/2012, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdivine View Post
Since HP isn't releasing any new Open webOS hardware in the near future we all realize that we're going to have to figure a way to get our favourite OS onto other devices and thanks to open sourcing, we can actually accomplish this - hopefully without too much trouble and expense.

Anyhow, long story short, I came across a potential tablet candidate called Lagoon for an Open webOS port. I am curious for the group's feedback. I figure we're going to come across a lot of Chinese tablets in the future and now thanks to the iPad 3 the specifications for the alternate tablets are going to have to improve. So my question is, is this a suitable tablet to get into the hands of the community to start porting development on?

Thoughts?

It has similar specifications to our beloved TouchPad = Android 2.3 Tablet with 9.7 Inch Capacitive Touchscreen, Android 3 Interface (16GB, 1.2GHz,2.0MP Camera, 1080p) - US$ 229.99 for $229.99 USD.

Specifications:

General
Operating System Android 2.3, 3.0UI
Model MID97D
Pointing Device 5-Points
Battery Type Rechargeable polymer battery,8000MAH
Battery / Run Time (up to) 10h for playing music, 4h for playing video, 5h for web surfing
Miscellaneous / Color Silver side
Dimensions / W x D x H 241*186*9.8MM
Net Weight 0.73kg
Storage and Expansion
Hard Drive Type NAND Flash
Hard Drive Capacity 16GB built in.
Front camera (not sure of resolution) and 2.0 MP rear cameras
Input/Output Connectors

Processor Type Rockchip 2918 *turns out this is SINGLE CORE not dual
Processor Clock Speed 1.2GHz
Processor / Manufacturer Rockchip
Processor Model RK2918*

* Found this out: rk2918 uses GC800 - 57 M tri/s & 575 Mpix/s - super strong 3D but middle of pack for 2D fillrate but according to Chipestimate.com it's doesn't have those numbers so I am not sure what is right: GC800 - Vivante - OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1, OpenVG 1.1, DirectFB, GDI/DirectDraw, Flash Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) - IP Catalog : Digital Core IP : Processors : Other - ChipEstimate.com

Then again checking Vivante's own specs for the GC800 they are correct so not sure who's right...::: Vivante Corporation I Products/Mobile Visual Reality :::

Cache Memory / Type DDR3
Cache Memory / Installed Size 1G DDR3 RAM
Display Diagonal Size 9.7 inch
Max Resolution IPS 1024*768 Pixels 4:3
Display Technology IPS

Ports
1*DC In
1*Earphone
1*TF card slot (support for additional 16 GB)
2*USB2.0,One host,one OTG

Communications
Networking / Data Link Protocol Wifi
Wireless Connection 802.11b/g/n (high sensitivity)
Support Format
Video H.264, VP8, RV, WMV, AVS, H.263, MPEG4 etc1080P, YouTube, 720P, HTML5, Flash10.3, Support all video formats
Audio MP3/WMA/WAV/AAC, AAC+, Support all music formats
Picture JPG, BMP, PNG etc

What's in the box Tablet PC x1
USB Cable x1
User Manual (English) x1
AC Adapter x1
Languages English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Dutch, Danish, Russian,
Polish, Norwegian, Swedish, Czech, Turkish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese
Chaosdevine,

......it's 6 months, two weeks and one day wait for Open webOS to be released. Ooooh, the anticipation is just killing me.

---There has just got to be something in the works

Peterdev

Peterdev
peterdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2012, 03:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:

Question: Is the gesture area of the Touchpad (along the edge of the screen) a hardware implementation or is it software (OS) related? I mean, is there some special sensors built into the area around the TouchPad screen or how does it know you're finger swiping?
I've never noticed this - there is a gesture area on the touchpad?????????
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2012, 03:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

rim playbook for touchpad go
r1vver is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kevets likes this.
Old 03/16/2012, 03:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
I've never noticed this - there is a gesture area on the touchpad?????????
....there is no gesture area on the touchpad; just software arrows

Peterdev
Old 03/16/2012, 05:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
cgk

I was wondering how I'd not noticed it in six months of use!
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2012, 05:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hehehe......

- it was said sometime back that the next version of the touchpad was supposed to have gestures, software or hardware, I just don't know.

Peterdev
Old 03/16/2012, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rnp

Rockchip? Putz... I don't know how dificult is to write the new drivers...

Best Regards...
Old 03/16/2012, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Depends. If the new WebOS kernel is set up to use the Android-style hardware/driver abstraction layer then it can just use the Android 2.3 drivers that already exists.
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2012, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1vver View Post
rim playbook for touchpad go
This!

I think it would only be fitting to adopt another failed tablet (that can be purchased cheaply) for the first device to port openwebOS to and the Playbook would be a perfect fit.

I actually really liked the hardware and the feel/performance of the device. Their software was just kinda lacking.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2012, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

The website I found say that most Chinese Tablet makers are switching to the A10 SOC
pfaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2012, 02:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdev View Post
....there is no gesture area on the touchpad; just software arrows

Peterdev
Well you have to begin your swipe slightly off screen and then INTO the screen to get the TouchPad to "do" the gestures. Is this not correct? It's not 100% ON the screen though. See, I have a case that covers all the bezel of the touchpad pretty much and you can't do a damn thing as far as gestures go, until you take the case off. Then it exposes just enough of the out side edge ( a few mm is enough) of the viewable screen and only then can you get a swipe up from off the bezel and on to the screen to do anything. So how exactly does it know where your fingers are? This is hard to explain in words but super easy to demonstrate.

Then installing custom browser gestures homebrew patch and using Tweaks to configure it, you can do all kinds of crazy things in a web browser. Every program on a TouchPad should have this kind of stuff in some capacity...

I just put down an iPad 2 and was swearing the whole time. Doing simple, simple things on it is SO frustrating compared to the TouchPad. It's only saving grace is the virtual keyboard on an iPad. It blows the TouchPad out of the water IMO.

Last edited by chaosdivine; 03/17/2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03/17/2012, 02:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdev View Post
Chaosdevine,

......it's 6 months, two weeks and one day wait for Open webOS to be released. Ooooh, the anticipation is just killing me.

---There has just got to be something in the works

Peterdev

Peterdev
Ya, me too obviously! Some company somewhere has to take the Open webOS bait. To go through all this work to open source the OS and have NO COMPANY interested to build a product would be...would be...I'm tearing up as I type this...must - go - now...
Old 03/17/2012, 02:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
[B] In fact, take up a donation pool from webOSNation users and buy a variety of different kinds. You'll know what I'm talking about afterward."
Great! So how much are you chipping into the collection pool then? Hmmmm?
Old 03/17/2012, 02:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
This!

I think it would only be fitting to adopt another failed tablet (that can be purchased cheaply) for the first device to port openwebOS to and the Playbook would be a perfect fit.

I actually really liked the hardware and the feel/performance of the device. Their software was just kinda lacking.
I don't quite consider the Playbook a "failed tablet" any longer. It was stillborn at birth but that was purely because they rushed it to market without obvious features. Now that it has them, it's actually a pretty decent device. Marry that with a BB cellphone and you can do some crazy things that no other tablet can do (remote control). Not only that, they're going to be sticking Blackberry 10 on it too...sounds like it's used up a few of its lives already but it keeps on giving!

http://crackberry.com/rim-confirms-b...ading-playbook
Old 03/17/2012, 07:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Ya, me too obviously! Some company somewhere has to take the Open webOS bait. To go through all this work to open source the OS and have NO COMPANY interested to build a product would be...would be...I'm tearing up as I type this...must - go - now...
I just sent you a PM.

Peterdev
Thanked By: chaosdivine
Old 03/17/2012, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

chaosdivine,

Well, after a week of using a PlayBook, I hate it. Just using it makes my wrists feel like i'm getting carpal tunnel. Cheap junk hardware.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0