webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Should HP make a "Nexus"?
Should HP make a "Nexus"?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 03/14/2012, 06:35 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
Really?
The nexus one was made availablle to no carriers.
The nexus s was released on sprint...
The galaxy nexus is only available on vzw for now, sprint shortly.
They were all also made available unlocked or overseas.

neither sprint nor vzw pushes the nexus devices on consumers...walk into a sprint or vzw store...its all about the iphone and droid branded android devices on vzw. None of these devices are ever sold out on carriers or on backorder.

I have never had the feeling that the nexus devices are meant to be "iphone killers" but rather as phones that showcase the latest and greatest android OS.

Let's be honest- none of us know what plans hp has up its sleeve...heck I wouldn't be surprised if hp itself doesn't know what it plans on doing...but if there is any inkling that they want to release any open webOS hardware or hope that others adopt it, they will need showcase hardware. I don't see anyway else around it.

Just look at all the tech at ces...companies all invest in hardware...many will not make it to the market and are just proof of concept devices, others come out in only limited quantities, and yet others are only released in limited markets (hp slate anyone?). So why are many so against the concept that hp would do the same with open webOS?

Open up your minds...palm webOS is gone.
Open webOS has a pulse...

wrong it nexus one was on tmobile and at&t. it was sold online. it's irrelevant whether networks push a phone. it's google's inititive. it's not Verizon's flagship. Hell it wasn't At&t's flagship, the iphone was. "let's be honest?" Yeah be honest in your facts cause yours are inaccurate. I could care less about palm. I'm not beating a drum for any company. But if you want reality, Meg flat said she doesn't envision HP in the phone space again. So this stuff is likely all fantasy.

open your minds? I say open your intellect and stop with the misstatements. You want a decent open webos device? Get several billions of dollars, make deals with everyone from movie studios to record labels, pay app developers and license the os and maybe you have a hope in hell of not going broke. Short of that, calling it nexus under the false premise that that means it's only for developers or that making something for them and not the public matters, won't make a bit of difference.
Old 03/14/2012, 09:57 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
wrong it nexus one was on tmobile and at&t. it was sold online. it's irrelevant whether networks push a phone. it's google's inititive. it's not Verizon's flagship. Hell it wasn't At&t's flagship, the iphone was. "let's be honest?" Yeah be honest in your facts cause yours are inaccurate. I could care less about palm. I'm not beating a drum for any company. But if you want reality, Meg flat said she doesn't envision HP in the phone space again. So this stuff is likely all fantasy.

open your minds? I say open your intellect and stop with the misstatements. You want a decent open webos device? Get several billions of dollars, make deals with everyone from movie studios to record labels, pay app developers and license the os and maybe you have a hope in hell of not going broke. Short of that, calling it nexus under the false premise that that means it's only for developers or that making something for them and not the public matters, won't make a bit of difference.
Quite a bit of anger from someone on a webos fan website.
So hp should just close the openwebos shop, derek kessler and the crew should close down webosnation.com, webosroundup.com should finally just close down their dormant website, and webos should be banished from existence. There shall be no talk or mention of webos ever by anyone, any thought or discussion re: a possible webos resurrection or device or contribution to open source mobile platforms shall be banned.

I wonder where someone like you and all the other haters of the platform will go to trole then...

Seriously how would you suggest hp demonstrate the capabilities of open webos?
Instead of focusing on what they can't do because of all the obstacles ahead of them and constantly lambasting any positive opinions or suggestions, what do you propose then?

I assume you remain on webosnation for a reason other than to attack the platform and its followers...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2012, 01:56 AM   #103 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Seriously how would you suggest hp demonstrate the capabilities of open webos?
I think people are coming at this from different angles - a lot of you think that simply putting out a phone shows that HP is serious, while others (such as myself) think that putting out a webOS on any device without spending billions on infrastructure shows that they are not serious.

We are never going to get agreement on this because our different positions are incommensurable - you think the nickle and dime approach can get lead to success, I (and it appears others) think that anything less than full commitment and the spending of billions is going to lead to failure.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2012, 08:19 AM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
But I recall watching a movie (Pirates of the silicon valley) Where yes, Bill gates basically stole Apple's OS and designed Windows.. But the point is.. The last time I checked.. and forgive me if i'm wrong.. But when did Windows make a desktop computer? or a Laptop? or when did they make a Tablet?

I'm not sure how much money was poured into Windows & advertising at first.. But I do assume they didn't have the same type of advertising power they have now... Great Designs/ Great Innovation & a strong backing will find a way.
THe difference is you can actually buy an desktop OS and put it on your computer. You can't do that with a smartphone or tablet without breaking the user agreement, and if congress has it's way, it might even be against the law at some point.
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2012, 07:29 AM   #105 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Because google wanted to see if it could cut out the carriers and sell directly via it's own store... that model didn't work and it was then sold via some carriers.

You can't take those things out of content.
Wrong. At least, for some countries that is. When Google launched it in their store, Vodafone in The Netherlands already started selling it too. So yes, a big carrier picked it up at the same time Google launched it in their store. Don't take those things out of content. It's only partly true what you said here.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2012, 07:32 AM   #106 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraith View Post
THe difference is you can actually buy an desktop OS and put it on your computer. You can't do that with a smartphone or tablet without breaking the user agreement, and if congress has it's way, it might even be against the law at some point.
Depends on what phone/tablet you have.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0