webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Should HP make a "Nexus"?
Should HP make a "Nexus"?
  Reply
Like Tree7Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03/08/2012, 12:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
smooth3006's Avatar
 
Posts: 862
won't happen, i think the next nexus will go to asus or moto.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 01:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
toyotast165's Avatar
 
Posts: 910
http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pal...should-do.html

was my thoughts, limited release of a true super phone. Purely concept though
__________________
Palm prē-ist.
toyotast165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 01:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
zukny's Avatar
 
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
People are buying between $300-$400 for them because there are literally a few thousand floating around and there are more people who want them than exist - demand outstrips supply because of the very limited numbers but from the sales figures, that doesn't scale - there are not 100,000s of people who want a Slider device with a small screen.

It's amazing to me that three years in and everything that has happened and the trends in smartphone design, that people are still convinced that there are masses of people who want a slider phone with a small screen.
Is there really only a few thousand of those devices? I kinda assumed HP made at least 100,000 of them Considering at how many there are here on Ebay or even Amazon.

I just figured a majority of the 100,000 was probably in Europe.. IS there a way to find out how many pre3's were made? Btw.. The pre3 screen is perfect size! As big as the iphones I believe and the keyboard.. agh.

The keyboard is why i fell in love w/ WebOS lol (hate the blackberry keyboard) so many key functions missing.. How can they ignore such key functions.. I don't know.
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 01:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yes, obviously they had a slab concept in the pipeline, because they produced:

Treo 90 - Flip-style portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 600 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 700 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 680 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 750 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 755 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Centro - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 800 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo Pro - Portrait w/ keyboard
Pre - Portrait slider
Pre+ - Portrait slider
Pixi - Portrait w/ keyboard
Pixi + - Portrait w/ keyboard
Pre 2 - Portrait slider
Veer - Portrait slider
Pre 3 - Portrait slider

.. and several other models of Treos that I can't seem to locate pictures of, but I'm just going to guess that they were all portrait orientation with a keyboard on the bottom.

Palm and BlackBerry completely owned this segment of the phone business, while the rest of the phone business moved on to landscape orientated sliders and slabs with only virtual keyboards. Note that Palm is effectively no longer with us, and BlackBerry is hurting quite badly.
These were just smart phones though...palm made plenty of slabs before the treos. Slap a phone radio in the palm TX and you have a grayish slab

I'd go for that...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 01:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
gbp
Member
 
gbp's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pal...should-do.html

was my thoughts, limited release of a true super phone. Purely concept though
pricing $ 1000 might be a stretch. If they did , well they better put some gold bezel around the screen.

I do believe that they can have a second go at phones. Limited cheap phones for young generation and very few expensive phones for the rich. Unlocked. They should do them in countries where paying full price is a norm. At least they make some money to fund the 250 engineers continue cooking webOS.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 02:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
gbp
Member
 
gbp's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
It's amazing to me that three years in and everything that has happened and the trends in smartphone design, that people are still convinced that there are masses of people who want a slider phone with a small screen.
Its amazing to me that there are masses of people who are still buying Hummer !!!!!!!

As long as companies makes profit they can keep manufacturing goods. Now that the Palm division has shrunk to 250 engineers from 5000 , HP can afford to try few things with unlocked phones.

FWIW, Pre3 is still going strong on ebay seven months after that mindless decision.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 02:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Treo 90 - Flip-style portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 600 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 700 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 680 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 750 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 755 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Centro - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo 800 - Portrait w/ keyboard
Treo Pro - Portrait w/ keyboard
Pre - Portrait slider
Pre+ - Portrait slider
Pixi - Portrait w/ keyboard
Pixi + - Portrait w/ keyboard
Pre 2 - Portrait slider
Veer - Portrait slider
Pre 3 - Portrait slider
WOW! So many Treos, and you forgot the BEST of then: Treo 650!!

Well, do you know "what" the HP have to do?

=> Restart to made the HP Touchpads, Pr, Veer and Pr 2 and put to sell for low price (with low margins);
=> Spread and release this devices to ALL WORLD;
=> Release the webOS in SO MANY LANGUAGES you can find!!
=> And leave the webOS, open or closed, continue his work!

No more and no less, without ultraexpectations...

I know that don't gonna do, but is simple: only this!
All the rest, comes as reward.

IF webOS there was in Portuguese, I can sell TODAY something close to 200 Unities. ALL womans that see the Veer wants, but leaves the idea when I say that there is no portuguese.


Best Regards...
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 02:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbp View Post
Its amazing to me that there are masses of people who are still buying Hummer !!!!!!!
Hummer went out of business... so I'm not sure why your point is?

Quote:
As long as companies makes profit they can keep manufacturing goods.
No..no..no.. not all profits are equal - the effort to manufacture small quantities of smart-phones to make small amounts of (possible) profits is not a direction any company wants to go in.

Quote:
Now that the Palm division has shrunk to 250 engineers from 5000 , HP can afford to try few things with unlocked phones.
Those are software not hardware guys.

Quote:
FWIW, Pre3 is still going strong on ebay seven months after that mindless decision.
Yes because the supply is too small for the demand - why is this hard to understand? There is still a hardcore who want this device but that does not scale.

Just because you have a few thousand hardcore fans chasing a few hundred devices that doesn't mean if you knock out 500,000 that they will sell...

Edit: Having said that, looking on the UK ebay, they don't seem to have held their price - they are going for about 99-130. My old cheapo ZTE blade is going for similar prices...
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 03:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
WOW! So many Treos, and you forgot the BEST of then: Treo 650!!

Well, do you know "what" the HP have to do?

=> Restart to made the HP Touchpads, Pr, Veer and Pr 2 and put to sell for low price (with low margins);
=> Spread and release this devices to ALL WORLD;
=> Release the webOS in SO MANY LANGUAGES you can find!!
=> And leave the webOS, open or closed, continue his work!

No more and no less, without ultraexpectations...

I know that don't gonna do, but is simple: only this!
All the rest, comes as reward.

IF webOS there was in Portuguese, I can sell TODAY something close to 200 Unities. ALL womans that see the Veer wants, but leaves the idea when I say that there is no portuguese.


Best Regards...
Quote:
WOW! So many Treos, and you forgot the BEST of then: Treo 650!!
I still have a 650 here... might have to see if it still fires up...
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 03:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 26
I'd like it if HP made a "Nexus" type device, but the chances of them doing so is somewhere between slim and none.

I love webOS, and am excited about it going forward now that it's open source. That said, I'm not holding my breath on getting any hardware from HP for a while. I've got a Pre 2 on the way to get me by for a good while, Long(er) term plan? Supporting more open tablet hardware - like the KDE Spark - so that I'll be able to easily install and use Open webOS once that gets off the ground.
jeffro-tull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 03:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
gbp
Member
 
gbp's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Hummer went out of business... so I'm not sure why your point is?
That was my point, they went out of business but people do buy them, still.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 04:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Right so a small hard core buy a failed product and the lesson for companies that don't want to go under is....???

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 05:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
People are buying between $300-$400 for them because there are literally a few thousand floating around and there are more people who want them than exist - demand outstrips supply because of the very limited numbers but from the sales figures, that doesn't scale - there are not 100,000s of people who want a Slider device with a small screen.

It's amazing to me that three years in and everything that has happened and the trends in smartphone design, that people are still convinced that there are masses of people who want a slider phone with a small screen.
Pre 3 has a 3.59" screen and a keyboard. IT is bigger than iphone and the screen quality is pretty good. I doubt anyone considers it small. I think a Pre 4 would definitely be able to sell a couple of million.
Sapient2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 06:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
gbp
Member
 
gbp's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,506
4 inch slab is a nobrainer. If someone yelled at Jon Ruby way back when they were Palm, we might be talking about this now.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 06:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 490
@CGK

So you are totally against anyone suggesting doing anything that has anything to do with webos and associated hardware? Then we should all either leave the forum, or change this forum to another android forum because that's what everyone else does? Do I have that right? It seems strange to me to hang out on a webos forum and go on and on about how its dead and nothing can be done about it....
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and gbp like this.
Old 03/08/2012, 07:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
etphoto's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,194
He has been like that for awhile. Almost as if was being paid to kill any WebOS excitment that might pop up in the forums..
Gettting back to HP continuing on with the Pre3.. I think Meg wouldnt have agreed with Leo's murder of WebOS. Yet, since he did kill it there is no way she would attempt to bring the hardware end back. If it failed after her attempt she would would look really dumb in the business world. She has nothing to loose by not bringing it back.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/08/2012, 09:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
gbp
Member
 
gbp's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Right so a small hard core buy a failed product and the lesson for companies that don't want to go under is....???

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
do you know that developers are still making apps for webOS ?
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 10:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
aodash's Avatar
 
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
It's amazing to me that three years in and everything that has happened and the trends in smartphone design, that people are still convinced that there are masses of people who want a slider phone with a small screen.
I assume you're talking about the Veer here, as the Pre3 doesn't have a small screen. Yes, the Pre{-,Plus,2} had a smallish screen,but the Pre3 is perfect size. (In fact, sizewise, the Pre3 isn't far off from the iPhone - yet another thing that Apple has done right.) I don't want to carry around the brick that is most Android sized devices.

As for the slider, while the keyboard on my previous Pres were cramped, HP finally got it right on the Pre3. I can type circles around my virtual keyboard bretheren on iOS and Android. I'll take a physical keyboard every time.
aodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2012, 12:12 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,526
Whether or not carriers \ consumers will want a "nexus" webos device isn't relevant imho. The carriers really have never invested much in webos since its existence, except for sprint with the original pre. There has never been any effort by any carrier to sell the pixi or pixi plus, the pre plus (don't even go there about vzw's mommy ads), or the pre2. The veer advertising came from hp, not att, if I recall. There was minimal if any training/advertising/selling of webos devices.

So releasing a nexus device because carriers won't carry it is irrelevant. The device can be manufactured by hp or hopefully by a hardware partner...as an unlocked device with support for devs and for those consumers interested in such a device. This device is not meant ti be a breadwinner, just something produced in limited quantities that can be used to demonstrate the capability of open webos and for which the software devs can use as a base hardware to optimize the software code.

In fact if you ask me, I think its a necessity that such a device be produced for both a phone and tablet. If hp is really interested in supporting this effort then they should produce the webos nexus...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2012, 01:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
No I am simply saying unrealistic plans based on wonky assumptions is not going to bring WebOS back from its zombie OS status - it requires top of the line hardware and an investment of many billions - anything less and it will simply sink like a stone again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
@CGK



So you are totally against anyone suggesting doing anything that has anything to do with webos and associated hardware? Then we should all either leave the forum, or change this forum to another android forum because that's what everyone else does? Do I have that right? It seems strange to me to hang out on a webos forum and go on and on about how its dead and nothing can be done about it....

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0