webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > iOS 5 to WebOS innovation ?
iOS 5 to WebOS innovation ?
Like Tree1Likes

Old 03/03/2012, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

We saw a nice thread of a person who compared the best features of WebOS vs the ones lacking in Apple's iOS platform. While all is very nice written piece of article, highlighting all the best of WebOS had to offer in terms of functionality to all users of mobile devices. However, there were some tiny things that iOS are making to improve itself with other competing platforms. Some of you might question yourself in terms of what improvements: create folders; Wifi-sync; iCloud; Reminders; Siri; Airplay mirroring; more multitasking gestures; and Safari browser updates.

With all these features while minimal in terms of update, one can't deny that it adds more touch to a device than the already old WebOS 3.0 which everyday it lacks features that other platforms are catching up. While the WebOS cards, synergy, gesture area were among the most-talked about function back in during its first release around '09. Currently, its sad that more months that passes away, our operating system that many people loved and became ******* is becoming more irrelevant in terms of features.

My big wish-list that someday WebOS could do to improve its operating system:

1) Create folders.
2) More cloud integration within the operating system.
3) More app integration between its built-in apps that comes with WebOS.
4) Voice-Control built into WebOS along with ability to use it with its synergy capabilities.
5) More WiFi-Sync.
6) Giving an entire make-up to the internet browser, with better rendering of webpages and more support for HTML 5
7) Support for the next-generation of multitasking for WebOS. Originally when the users have cards open, you still have to scroll through one by one. How about implementing a way for a two finger swipe gesture that could enable to give a preview of all your apps into one single view. Similar fashion like Mac OS X "Mission control" which used to be called spaces or expose.
8) have a built-in dictionary along with text assist.
9) More precise cursor placement.
10) Improve much on the lock screen when it comes to showing notifications.
11) Have the ability to modify the way you display your exhibition on your touchpad.

Have other ideas that you will like add to my suggestions of improvements for the webos platform. Or you tend to disagree with my side of view, please feel free to voice your opinions.
Old 03/03/2012, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

No two finger gestures for me. I was so happy to buy Splashtop and never used it because of the two finger thing. I Felt like a dog pawing on my screen. Boo
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2012, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

The way I look at these things is how easily it does the things I do the most. Top of the list would be going back and switching to something else (cards, stacks, just type). So webOS is in no way approaching irrevelance for me.
Liked by TJB likes this.
Old 03/03/2012, 04:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

1) Agreed, but only in file explorers. In the launcher I don't like that.
2) Agreed!
3) Agreed!
4) Agreed!
5) Probably yeah, but if the link to the cloud is made then this is kinda redundant.
6) I guess you missed the thread about the new webOS-browser called Isis that they're currently building?
7) I like it the way it is now, but the idea isn't that bad. I don't agree though. Even if you would implement it, then the screen would be way too small to give you a good overview of all your open apps. With 2 or 3 apps, that's doable but how about 10 apps? Way too small.
8) It already has, though not editable. If you mean that it needs to be editable, then yes, I agree.
9) On the Pre 3, you can hold down the option-key and drag the cursor where you want. Can't be more precise. On the Touchpad, yes, I can imagine that. But I find it very accurate most of the time. I know I was struggling with that on Android 3.x, but on the TP it's quite precise already. Maybe a magnifier could be added, but then as an optional feature.
10) On the Pre 3 it's fine, but on the TP it could be a bit bigger notifications on the lock screen and maybe make them interactive (so when you see a new e-mail notification for example, make it clickable to let it open the app or a preview or something like that).
11) You can. Start it manually or automatic via touchstone. Via the dropdown-menu left above the exhibition you can choose which exhibition you want. So that's configurable already.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2012, 05:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
cgk

Surely to bring itself upto date, one of the first things it needs is the sort of multi-tasking that Samsung has added to it's tablets and other android OEMs are sure to follow? This is only the first version, so if WebOS doesn't add this capability it will be left behind (yes I know about Glimpse but I'm talking about the OS level).
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2012, 05:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Personally I like to delete the whole word and start over, to me this is often faster than moving cursor, magnifying glass etc.

Email notification can be improved, because now one can preview to a point and then eventually have to open one and then they all disappear.
Old 03/03/2012, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

100% agree with the Original Poster. Voice control and cloud syncing, folders etc are all really good features. They are not all perfect but what is? Like siri would be even better if it could control a navigation program so you didn't need to look at a screen when driving. But i it's suprising how convenient it is to voice a text when driving or voice dial when driving.

Some other thoughts, I haven't used a Pre 3 so i can't be positive all the additions. I used a pre minus until a few months ago. So keep that in mind.

Some there are a whole lot of ideas i think webos could steal from from ios or android. One is the above one voice control for navigation.

Integrate podcasting and audiobook playing into a music player. Features that interest me that i've seen in ios are things wifi sync, automatic wifi downloading. From an app called Downcast and others, custom settings for every podcast. You can pick how many episodes to save, what to do when new episodes are found (download automatically, download over wifi only, que but don't download, etc.) I cloud storage for your podcast settings. The ability when playing a podcast to skip backwards 15 seconds, 30 seconds, or skip forward, 30 seconds or 2 minutes. Ability to vary speeds of playback is also something many people use, though i don't. But it's not all about just me so i include that. One more thing is a specific section to manage and easily delete your downloaded podcasts. Basically a mass cleanup screen. I find i like many of those feature when i listen to audiobooks as well so i include it in this category too; as something i'd integrate into the music player. Also for audiobooks chapter support. It would also be good to designate an mp3 files as music or audiobook in the tag like you can in itunes so that the music player gives the file the features you want since you may not need the chapters interface of slowed down playback for music mp3. And you don't want to make it hard on users by forcing them to learn how to recode. Better to make it simple by just allowing them to pick how its treated.

music player improvements. Better and cleaner navigation for big libraries. The biggest reason i love ipods is they sort music well. Ignore "A", "And", "The" and capital letters in tag files when sorting. My pre used to put The Beatles under the letter "t" but i normally look under "B". Ios does that, almost all music players i have on my desktop do that. There was even a patch in preware to do it. That should be standard. Another issue is the music player treated the same word capitalized as a new artists. So if you had Metallica album but one tag had an artist tagged "metallica" (lowercase) it gets listed as new artist. So if you play the abum it may skip that one lower case song. Same happens for genre; "rock" was seen as different to "Rock." Drove me nuts. especially since i had some 30000 songs in my library and pretty accurately tagged but occasionally one song had one file in an album not capitalized exactly as all the other songs. Gapless playback. I used to DJ hip-hop and mixtape and dj albums need to play gapless normally. it's not enough to just have some sort of crossfade feature. I'm not talking about mixes where that sort of thing would work. Plus i've got many mixtapes and tons of DJ Rectangle albums that don't play right without gapless playback.

Copy and Paste: Copy and paste on ios is pretty awesome. It's the best i've seen. Also a big thing, that applies to the usability of the music player as well is that the responsiveness and more accurate screen/os means dragging the highlighting tool is so much more precise and easy to use. But the magnifying glass for the cursor is awesome as are how easy it is to copy and paste and precisely highlight text. They should flat steal the whole thing

Camera improvements (from android and some third party ios apps). It needs advanced settings like macro, burst, timer, change formats, change exposures, Editing features like crop, red eye reduce, brighten,

On screen keyboard.

Email: Webos should add some of the detail you in the ios email client. I can't definitively say why i like it better. It just seems much more robust

Browser improvements: I think they should add tabs.

Ibooks: i don't read many ebooks but i love the layout of ibooks. I'd essentially clone the way it works: the smooth page turning, the chaptering, the font, the ability to change the color of the pages, ability to change the font size, search, bookmarking, table of contents. I love all of that.

update/add some apps: It would behoove them to update the apps for youtube and google maps. My two cents. Not ios specific but those two apps are better on every platform and were essentially never updated. That irked me a lot.

Something not in ios that they should add: The ability to upload into your cloud storage app of choice, sugarsync, dropbox, box.net from virtually any app, The same way most apps through synergy i guess, just know what twitter account you mean when you try to tweet something every appropriate app should be allow you to upload files to your cloud storage (or picture storage like picassa for pictures). Or possibly, automatically sync to these services. I don't sync anything but i know others like it.

As a general thought, If i ran Webos i'd had found the maybe top 50 apps on ios that hp could have made it's own version of. Not talking netflix or hulu or something that involves stuff it doesn't control. but like podcasters, and note taking apps. I'd look at all of them and make my own one with all the features. Like is there any reason why they couldn't have made a note taking app with tons and tons of features similar to the advanced third party note-taking apps on ios. Then you could be like not only are we offering the same features as something like ios but we are offering more features that were you to buy an iphone you'd have to pay for. Oh speaking of paid apps. i forgot to mention, garageband, imovie, Pages or any first party document suite. Webos would benefit from having a similar class of apps in each of those categories.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/03/2012 at 09:09 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2012, 02:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
No two finger gestures for me. I was so happy to buy Splashtop and never used it because of the two finger thing. I Felt like a dog pawing on my screen. Boo
See your point, with that your saying with the Splashtop app. However, I was referring to the way you switch to the card view on WebOS slide-up gesture with a flick of the finger on the bezel. Having a second option of using a two finger gesture into flipping into card view to give you a preview of your open apps. To give you a better idea of what I meant with the two-finger gesture, there is a sample image of an iPad with Photoshop image of "Mission control" of Mac OS X 10.7. But instead image something like that for WebOS cards, with a future WebOS 4.0.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mission-control-ipad.jpg (57.1 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment
Old 03/04/2012, 04:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm totally fine with multi-finger gestures as long as it doesn't get too crazy. For example, on the Android Kindle app, if you 2-finger drag down across the screen, it darkens the screen. Upwards and it gets brighter. That's brilliant. Why not embed something like that at OS level so we don't have to go through menus (although TP's screen brightness control is ridiculously easy but I'm just making a point here).
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2012, 09:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
TJB

Apple markets Siri very well on their commercials. In real life 5 out of 10 times it is down or unable to respond and asks you to try again. Out of the remaining 5 out 0t 10, 3 of those times it won't understand what you are saying or answers wrong. So basically 2 out of 10 times or 20% of the time it will work.

But again it does not tie into Telnav or GPS, big minus there or any other apps.

When asking to find the closest say Dunkin Doughnut's for example it says there are 2, that are 45 miles away. I know there is one 1 mile away and hundreds closer than that.

So again, Siri looks great because of Apple's ability to market a bad feature and make it seems awesome.
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2012, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hey siri, launch bluetooth. Sorry, not allowed to do that.
Old 03/04/2012, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
That's a good point but... aren't we fundamentally asking the right question at the wrong time - WebOS is effectively in stasis until the end of September, so it misses a cycle of development. It's not the Siri of today that it needs to compete with it's the siri of September and onwards, likewise, it's going to be competiting with the features and innovations of Jellybean not ICS.

So the provocative question is... what are those features?*

* I'm being rhetorical because obviously we can't and don't know.
Old 03/04/2012, 09:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
siri can't launch certain apps without a jailbreak. But it you jailbreak it you can do that stuff. Stock it only launches the apps made by apple that are needed to do the tasks it can do. The only apps it runs without a jailbreak to my knowledge are
Facetime, Contacts, Mail, Messages, Calendar, Reminders, Notes Alarms, World Clock and Timer, Music, Weather, Stocks. And through those it does the following functions:

make calls
send texts
search the web for virtually any information.
play music file
send texts
send emails
take notes
check the weather
set a calender appointment
set a reminder
check a stock price
set an alarm clock
get directions from google maps
locate an address

if you're asking it to do something it can't that's basically user error.

I use it often an it works great but i'm not looking for donuts either. I don't use it to search for anything really. It does great sending texts, taking notes, but i've never once used bluetooth so doing stuff like changing settings isn't a big deal. Besides i got SBsettings so i got wifi, bluetooth etc in my dropdown menu if i ever need to turn stuff off. But of course it doesn't do what it's not designed to do. For me it works 99% of the time in real life. If it doesn't its normally an issue of poor phrasing of a question. But i don't have issues as i don't ask it things it can't do.

Bottom line is WebOS cannot do the things Siri does already above. And every one of them are must have addtions to WebOS. Especially when windows and android are already beefing up their voice command functions.
Old 03/05/2012, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

I suspect I would use siri as much as I use voice dial, which is never. But I admit it is nice to have for times when it is convenient.

But I haven't gotten comfortable talking into a phone when not actually talking so someone.

What if I could just think what I want it to do and it does it, and it would think me back silently and don't ask me to confirm, then I wouldn't feel so silly using voice commands

Last edited by laingman; 03/05/2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03/05/2012, 11:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
cgk

I use the voice reply on my Wp7 a lot more than I though I would. Very handy on cold days.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Old 03/05/2012, 12:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Jus installed windows 8 on my laptop. I looks kinda young, but seems like good ideas. Will see how it goes
Old 03/05/2012, 03:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I suspect I would use siri as much as I use voice dial, which is never. But I admit it is nice to have for times when it is convenient.

But I haven't gotten comfortable talking into a phone when not actually talking so someone.

What if I could just think what I want it to do and it does it, and it would think me back silently and don't ask me to confirm, then I wouldn't feel so silly using voice commands
I think we are a ways off of mind reading phones. Besides if they perfect that i may just want the chip implanted in my brain.

I use siri when convenient too. For me it's pretty easy to just hold down the home button and say "call mom" or "call dad" or "call home". And i found it convenient for when i want to text in the car. i just hold down the button and say "text Lisa", speak what i want to say, then say "send". It's much safer then looking at the screen and typing and all that while in a car. And just the other day i needed to know how much 10.8 billion dollars was in pounds sterling and it gave me the answer. The last one isn't something i do often (random questions) but the phone was right in front of me and i always have a problem doing large numerical translations on google cause i tend to screw up the amount of zeros so i gave it a try.

But i don't use anything on my phone ALL the time. I rarely use iphone's gamecenter, I don't really use the calender, i don't take pics everyday, i rarely make phone calls. Similar on my Pre. I never used wave, or calender I can say with out a doubt i'd never use touch to share. I've never had a desire to share a webpage between devices. now nfc payments like with credit cards i could see using in the future if i got comfortable. Like i pay for starbucks with my phone so i could adjust. But point is every phone i've seen has features that i may never or only occasionally use.

oh one other addition webos needs is visual voicemail.
Old 03/05/2012, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post

But i don't use anything on my phone ALL the time. I rarely use iphone's gamecenter, I don't really use the calender, i don't take pics everyday, i rarely make phone calls. Similar on my Pre. I never used wave, or calender I can say with out a doubt i'd never use touch to share. I've never had a desire to share a webpage between devices. now nfc payments like with credit cards i could see using in the future if i got comfortable. Like i pay for starbucks with my phone so i could adjust. But point is every phone i've seen has features that i may never or only occasionally use.

oh one other addition webos needs is visual voicemail.
What we are discussing here is "wow-ware" - it's irrelevant how much you use them when you actually buy the phone but it's something that the consumer *thinks* they will use or simply sounds cool in the shop.
Old 03/05/2012, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah, I like visual voicemail. I like youview how it cycles through the messages.
Old 03/05/2012, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
What we are discussing here is "wow-ware" - it's irrelevant how much you use them when you actually buy the phone but it's something that the consumer *thinks* they will use or simply sounds cool in the shop.
I get your point. i mentioned that i don't use anything all the time in response to laingman's comments that he's "never" use siri. I was trying to make the point that it's perfectly fine that he doesn't would not use it and that i have plenty of features that i don't use but that these things are still important even if you don't use them all the time. So my comments were more in that vain.

I don't discount your comments about needing wow factor. That is something i think webos has sorely lacked. I was wowed when it first was revealed. Honestly it had nothing to do with multitasking, In fact i'd bought the phone before i realized how much people kept screaming about how good it was. But that was many years ago. The wow wore off. Touch to share never wowed me, neither did stacks. So i've always thought they needed to do something else to wow people. In fact for my own tastes i got the impression Palm/HP was only improving stuff i had little interest in and that eventually drove me away. Another thing is unless your the first to do something it's kinda hard to wow people cause they've already been surprised. If you're second in announcing you need to be vastly better to get the wow.

Tags
platforms, touchpad, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0