webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > iOS 5 to WebOS innovation ?
iOS 5 to WebOS innovation ?
Like Tree1Likes

Old 03/06/2012, 12:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Another thing is unless your the first to do something it's kinda hard to wow people cause they've already been surprised. If you're second in announcing you need to be vastly better to get the wow.
Right - thinking about it, beyond the initial announcement, what "wow" features did WebOS add since then? Nothing as far as I can tell, which is the result of chronic under-funding - WebOS could never have a siri competitor because it simply lacked the funds to develop one...
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2012, 01:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Right - thinking about it, beyond the initial announcement, what "wow" features did WebOS add since then? Nothing as far as I can tell, which is the result of chronic under-funding - WebOS could never have a siri competitor because it simply lacked the funds to develop one...
I think Palm/HP thought that the "wow" came from stacks and then maybe touch to share. Only speaking for myself obviously they just were not interesting. I didn't use my phone in those ways or have a desire to stack windows. I personally question their judgement if they thought those were the big wow. not saying they weren't ok ideas but it they were a "killer feature."

As for funding a siri, yes in the back of my head i've always thought that was and will be an ongoing issue. Apple had to buy Siri to get voice commands. That sort of integration doesn't strike me as a simple tweak or patch. Bit if HP is/was short of cash i do wonder how can they keep up when even most of the big boys have to buy features rather then make them. And how much harder will it be when it's on tight open source purse strings? who knows. Regardless, at this point stuff like a siri is nice but they may be better off knocking out tons of little things that are covered by patches, like a menu with wifi, bluetooth and brightness controls on the homescreen. That stuff seems kinda easy. Well i'm no programmer so wouldn't know but it's been done already in preware so it's doable.
Old 03/06/2012, 04:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
TJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
siri can't launch certain apps without a jailbreak. But it you jailbreak it you can do that stuff. Stock it only launches the apps made by apple that are needed to do the tasks it can do. The only apps it runs without a jailbreak to my knowledge are
Facetime, Contacts, Mail, Messages, Calendar, Reminders, Notes Alarms, World Clock and Timer, Music, Weather, Stocks. And through those it does the following functions:

make calls
send texts
search the web for virtually any information.
play music file
send texts
send emails
take notes
check the weather
set a calender appointment
set a reminder
check a stock price
set an alarm clock
get directions from google maps
locate an address

if you're asking it to do something it can't that's basically user error.

I use it often an it works great but i'm not looking for donuts either. I don't use it to search for anything really. It does great sending texts, taking notes, but i've never once used bluetooth so doing stuff like changing settings isn't a big deal. Besides i got SBsettings so i got wifi, bluetooth etc in my dropdown menu if i ever need to turn stuff off. But of course it doesn't do what it's not designed to do. For me it works 99% of the time in real life. If it doesn't its normally an issue of poor phrasing of a question. But i don't have issues as i don't ask it things it can't do.

Bottom line is WebOS cannot do the things Siri does already above. And every one of them are must have addtions to WebOS. Especially when windows and android are already beefing up their voice command functions.
Well I could not agree more. I try Siri all the time and the system is down constantly and says sorry try again later.

Yes, it is good for texts when it can connect. But when it comes to verify do you want to send this message, I say send and it NEVER understands me. Must be my Midwest accent, yeah right. Very annoying.

And yes, I understand voice commands and how that works and understand speech rec is not an exact science. But to say it always works is crazy. I stand by my 20% of the time.

As far as the doughnuts, that was an example. Everyone has heard of dunkin doughnuts and they are all over the place. The issue is Siri is wrong when asking to find the closest address.

Never had issues with my Palm 700 and voice commands.
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2012, 07:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

honestly and truly people IOS 5, webos, and Google innovation is all different. I myself have been using the galaxy s II, the htc arrive, then just recently left the iphone 4s and returned last week to the Pre 3 on AT&T. Googles OS is still clunky, and I mean in terms of how things work its very cluttered non elegant, and very hard to do things fast. WP7 though has it, very elegant and things just work and work very fast even on old hardware as a arrive. Though I can see the boring notion of the OS, and bland feel. IOS 5 again is elegant and regardless of features like SIRI (which I never used, at the end of the day I need to do something fast and this is not the way of doing it) are nothing to think twice about. To me its about how the OS works and webos does this better then the rest, and without all the apps. When I left the plus the issue was still speed and screen size (regardless of the build, tho the pre 3 is perfect in my eyes). Now that the Pre 3 addresses every issue a first time webos user has had, the OS runs laps around some of the best phones and OS's Ive used in the past year.
wellwellwell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: TJB
Old 03/07/2012, 03:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB View Post
Well I could not agree more. I try Siri all the time and the system is down constantly and says sorry try again later.

Yes, it is good for texts when it can connect. But when it comes to verify do you want to send this message, I say send and it NEVER understands me. Must be my Midwest accent, yeah right. Very annoying.

And yes, I understand voice commands and how that works and understand speech rec is not an exact science. But to say it always works is crazy. I stand by my 20% of the time.

As far as the doughnuts, that was an example. Everyone has heard of dunkin doughnuts and they are all over the place. The issue is Siri is wrong when asking to find the closest address.

Never had issues with my Palm 700 and voice commands.
Not really sure your point but I think you're confuse poor execution of a feature with a feature lacking merit. The former is barely relevant. The point is webos should add the features.

But as to how siri executes, If you can't connect that's normally a network issue not a siri issue. I know it happens but i've never not been able to use siri. Not once.

Dunkin Donuts are not everywhere. lol. I think they are largely midwest. I can't find one within 50 miles of me or the 3 biggest cities in California. I think they aren't in California. Regardless, i just searched, "Find me the closest Starbucks and i got the exact closest one." Worked searching for Ross Dress for less, Petes Coffee, and a random single mom and mexican restaurant i searched for. It's likely an issue with where ever Siri gets its info, Wolfgram Alfa, google or whomever. But that's no different then when my Garmin GPS can't find a road because the map hasn't updated. It's an information issue not a problem with the idea of gps. Maybe try a different donut shop. I live in L.A. Siri had no problem finding the closest Randy's Donuts.

I honestly, sorry I have no idea what a Palm 700 but i assume its and old palm phone, but that old Palm phones had it and new ones don't is even more of an indictment of Palm's years of missteps. They they have no excuse for not having these features. But that you don't like siri doesn't mean voice commands aren't a good addition to webos. You're trying to argue that you don't like siri when the discussion is not whether siri executed well but whether it's features would be valuable additions to webos. Google Nav isn't perfect. I still want navigation. iCloud isn't perfect, i don't like lots of it. It should do more. That doesn't mean cloud backups and cloud mirroring and cloud music storage is not a feature webos needs. Don't like Siri? Not the point. Android is upgrading their voice command software. Windows phone is too.
Old 03/12/2012, 10:20 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post

Integrate podcasting and audiobook playing into a music player. Features that interest me that i've seen in ios are things wifi sync, automatic wifi downloading. From an app called Downcast and others, custom settings for every podcast. You can pick how many episodes to save, what to do when new episodes are found (download automatically, download over wifi only, que but don't download, etc.) I cloud storage for your podcast settings. The ability when playing a podcast to skip backwards 15 seconds, 30 seconds, or skip forward, 30 seconds or 2 minutes. Ability to vary speeds of playback is also something many people use, though i don't. But it's not all about just me so i include that. One more thing is a specific section to manage and easily delete your downloaded podcasts. Basically a mass cleanup screen. I find i like many of those feature when i listen to audiobooks as well so i include it in this category too; as something i'd integrate into the music player. Also for audiobooks chapter support. It would also be good to designate an mp3 files as music or audiobook in the tag like you can in itunes so that the music player gives the file the features you want since you may not need the chapters interface of slowed down playback for music mp3. And you don't want to make it hard on users by forcing them to learn how to recode. Better to make it simple by just allowing them to pick how its treated.

music player improvements. Better and cleaner navigation for big libraries. The biggest reason i love ipods is they sort music well. Ignore "A", "And", "The" and capital letters in tag files when sorting. My pre used to put The Beatles under the letter "t" but i normally look under "B". Ios does that, almost all music players i have on my desktop do that. There was even a patch in preware to do it. That should be standard. Another issue is the music player treated the same word capitalized as a new artists. So if you had Metallica album but one tag had an artist tagged "metallica" (lowercase) it gets listed as new artist. So if you play the abum it may skip that one lower case song. Same happens for genre; "rock" was seen as different to "Rock." Drove me nuts. especially since i had some 30000 songs in my library and pretty accurately tagged but occasionally one song had one file in an album not capitalized exactly as all the other songs. Gapless playback. I used to DJ hip-hop and mixtape and dj albums need to play gapless normally. it's not enough to just have some sort of crossfade feature. I'm not talking about mixes where that sort of thing would work. Plus i've got many mixtapes and tons of DJ Rectangle albums that don't play right without gapless playback.
Another thing that the excellent poster "SnotBoogie" pointed out, that I totally overlooked at my original post was more music integration. While I totally agree that if HP ever updates WebOS to 4.0, it definitely needs to upgrade the music app to mirror the functionality of the other competitors like the iPod more ways to integrate podcast into the native music player app.

Music Integration

Also wanted to offer my opinion on others area in which HP needs to improve before releasing the WebOS platform into a full open-source platform. The more days that passes-by without any hope for HP to give a decent upgrade to the WebOS software platform, it made me think about integrating more easy ways to add music to HP Touchpad. It's so sad that the STUPID HP didn't thought of a way to transfer music into the touchpad instead of plugging it into your computer to that task. The only option on getting music onto your TouchPad is through the old fashion way of USB-only(Seriously HP), while Google and Apple are offering more cloud mobile music service. And let's not talk about music store which completely lacks into the TouchPad itself, while Palm smartphones offers at least the Amazon Store for music purchase.

For me its unacceptable that HP overlooked that important area in which they were trying to compete with "The Apple's iPad". While Google’s Music Beta allows wireless streaming to any device running Android, and Apple's iCloud store your files in the cloud and also automatically wirelessly sync any iTunes data you already own to your iOS. devices.

The HP Catalog

One of the biggest gripes that I have with the app catalog, its not the lack of quality apps but more for the software bugs within WebOS. The most frustrating things is navigating on the catalog which can be clunky, buggy and unreliable. When searching for apps it either shows you apps as unavailable, then available, then sometimes it fails to download.

On other competing platforms like iOS, that just thing never happens to me when navigating the Apple's App Store. On iOS devices, the experience is so smooth that for me to download or look for apps it all makes it a nice experience for any user. With so many HP WebOS updates, it always intrigued me WHY HAS HP NEVER FIGURE OUT A WAY TO SQUASH THOSE AWKWARD BUGS FOUND IN THE APP CATALOG !
Old 03/19/2012, 07:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

I everyone

Could we make a form or a poll on this website to get a feedback of which improvement is needed the most quickly?

Last edited by lawrence92; 03/19/2012 at 07:45 AM.
lawrence92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2012, 03:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence92 View Post
I everyone

Could we make a form or a poll on this website to get a feedback of which improvement is needed the most quickly?
I could certainly put my work on that task, lawrence92. Just give a day, and I will put one up on this website.
Old 03/25/2012, 12:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
11) You can. Start it manually or automatic via touchstone. Via the dropdown-menu left above the exhibition you can choose which exhibition you want. So that's configurable already.
Even though, this is an old post yet wanting to place my two cents on the matter of WebOS. I'm just hoping that HP follows through with an aggressive enough update to WebOS 4.0 delivering a much more tuning into the WebOS performance and an makeover to an OS that it seems to be getting behind of its chief competitors. Anyways moving on, talking about the exhibition mode on WebOS it needs several improvements beyond choosing the exhibition you would to display while TouchPad charges.

For example, the Application Flixi delivers what exhibition should have been on the WebOS since the beginning of its introduction into the OS. Originally a user have to pick between Time, photo switcher, or any app compatible with the exhibition mode on WebOS. However, it would be nicer to be able to display everything into one screen like the application Flixi. Whether you like Twitter stream, the latest news from your favorite blogs among other things into one single view.

http://www.webosnation.com/quick-app-flixi

Tags
platforms, touchpad, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0