webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS on Android Phones
webOS on Android Phones
Like Tree17Likes

Old 02/26/2012, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Finally gave up my old Palm Pre Plus for an Samsung Epic 4G (one with the slider keyboard). Only been two days and I miss webOS already. Why Android is so popular I have no idea.
  • No good multitasking model
  • strange home button that leaves one wondering what happened to my app. I was running.
  • no standard way to quit an app.

So what we need is a way to port webOS to an android phone. I see that has been suggested before but now webOS is OPEN SOURCE. How do we go about getting the best mobile OS ever written on existing devices. Talking to OEMs is not going to help but if people start putting webOS on their existing devices that will speak to the OEMs. Look at the 3rd party router firmware market. Now Buffalo is selling hardware with dd-wrt as the OS on their routers.

You want to send a message to the OEMs and the world make webOS an option on android devices.

Andrew Penhorwood

Last edited by apenhorwood; 02/26/2012 at 08:56 PM.
apenhorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2012, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Until the full source code is released and the open source project is complete , we most likely wont see this . But it will be done eventually im sure.
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

OK, fair enough. Then I am looking for the people who will put this "webOS on android device" project together. I want to be part of it happening.

Just point me to the right people.
Old 02/27/2012, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

some of the webosinternals guys started working on making webOS run on android hardware, but that was before HP announce their intent to release open source code. I think they put things on hold until HP releases everything, as Shane mentions above. There is a thread about it somewhere in the webosinternals subforum.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 02/27/2012, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

So how would the back and forward gestures work on android phones?
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
So how would the back and forward gestures work on android phones?
Virtual Gesture Area with a Fake Led in bottom? With 4.0 inches, you have space to make this...

Best Regards...
Old 02/27/2012, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

I see the gesture area getting mentioned a lot. If I had to guess, Open webOS is essentially going to be webOS 4.0, but built for open source. I expect it to draw mostly from the TouchPad and its UI conventions, which means a gesture area will not be required to use the device. There might be support for a gesture area, but I don't see it being necessary in any way to ensure the broadest hardware compatibility.
Thanked By: Garfonso
Old 02/28/2012, 06:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Question #1: Are you a developer with intimate knowledge of low-level code, OS development, and device drivers?

If not, then you're not going to be of much help other than to stand by, watch, and wait.

If yes, contact webOS Internals, because they could probably use you in the future.

There is no Question #2.
Thanks for the oh so unhelpful comments. In any successful project you need community which takes
  • developers
  • testers
  • docs writers
  • project evangelist

An the list ones on and on.

Oh and I do happen to be a computer programmer with 30+ years and about 20 languages under my belt. So no I don't have "intimate knowledge of low-level code" but I could if I so decided to go that route.

What I am looking for is to connect with any group that is taking on the webOS on android device project. So far no one seems to be discussing that in public that I can find.
Liked by Rnp, HelloNNNewman, OldSkoolVWLover and 4 others like this.
Old 02/28/2012, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

You can try contacting them on twitter as well @webosinternals or here in their forum.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2012, 06:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
I see the gesture area getting mentioned a lot. If I had to guess, Open webOS is essentially going to be webOS 4.0, but built for open source. I expect it to draw mostly from the TouchPad and its UI conventions, which means a gesture area will not be required to use the device. There might be support for a gesture area, but I don't see it being necessary in any way to ensure the broadest hardware compatibility.
The touchpad is nice and all, but it is a device that is no where as necessary or as a phone. I barely use mine as it is.

So if open webOS means touchpad I might as well give up on the platform from now. Sorry to say.
Old 02/28/2012, 06:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi Andrew,

You are completely correct in that there will be a big need for people to help with many many areas of this project. Coding isn't the only need, but Wiki support, beta testers, fundraising, etc... There will be plenty of opportunity for people of various skill sets to join in and help.

I believe that the WebOS Internals group is the official spearhead of the project as they have been working directly with HP. Stay tuned... Once HP releases all parts of webOS into Open Source, there will be lots to do.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2012, 07:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
The touchpad is nice and all, but it is a device that is no where as necessary or as a phone. I barely use mine as it is.

So if open webOS means touchpad I might as well give up on the platform from now. Sorry to say.
Open Source means ALL of webOS. This will be more pertinent to phones than tablets in the beginning. Derek talking about version 4.0 isn't just limiting it to the tablet, but more referencing the next step in evolution of the software itself. Phones will be top priority I'm sure!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gbp and Cantaffordit like this.
Old 02/28/2012, 07:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

I don't know, but it feels to me like there is a lot of emphasis on touchpad as opposed to phones. The Isis browser for example. We will see
Old 02/28/2012, 08:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

My guess is that gestures in a dedicated gesture pane will probably be killed in upcoming webOS phones. It's a nice feature but it's not essential to running webOS as Touchpad has proved and if we're porting webOS to existing non-webOS hardware, obviously it won't be there. Maybe the upswipe will still be present (hope so!) but I guess the "back" swipe from gestures will simply be translated to the same thing as pressing the back button. As nice as the gesture area is, I think it's also a non-future proof hardware design. Let's say that screen sizes continue to get larger with thinner bezel... where would the gesture area go? What you'd end up is a forced, unnatural looking gesture area just like on Pixi. And I don't really think forward swipe gesture is essential to phone operation.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2012, 09:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Simple, move the gesture area onto the screen. Have it hide when not in use, or alternately use multi-finger gestures instead of a dedicated area. Gesture navigation is so much more intuitive than tap tap tap tap tap.

Alternatively, stick with bezel swipes and have cleverer, more responsive algorithms monitoring the finger movement.
Old 02/28/2012, 10:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
You can try contacting them on twitter as well @webosinternals or here in their forum.
You could also check the IRC channel.

As sledge said, twitter is great for keeping up on webOS development from HP and homebrew.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 06:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
I'm absolutely willing to concede that I went over the line with my comment, and with it do accept my apologies.
Apology accepted.
Liked by sq5 likes this.
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 02/29/2012, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Open Source means ALL of webOS. This will be more pertinent to phones than tablets in the beginning. Derek talking about version 4.0 isn't just limiting it to the tablet, but more referencing the next step in evolution of the software itself. Phones will be top priority I'm sure!
Please don't raise the hopes. That would make me wait. Deep inside I feel the webOS phone will have a comeback. I tried the two platforms iOS and Android and both are still no match for the webOS experience with a slider phone ( Pre2/Pre3).

Slide open the Pre , type whatever hit enter , you "googled" it. This would take couple more steps on Android and a lot more on iPhone.

Palm really thought the Pre form factor through many aspects, too bad the hardware is not top notch.

Last edited by gbp; 03/01/2012 at 02:28 PM.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

i would not be surprised if what is opensourced is a tablet OS only considering HP said it's out of the phone business. They may do both but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for them to say we aren't making phones and thus focus on tablets. Any one know for sure if they are releasing an open source phone specific version of webos?
Old 03/01/2012, 02:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I believe it's going to be a unifying release. And it's more than likely that at least the Pre3 will get it as well as the TP.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android port webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0