Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    My Pre3 doesn't give any useful visual feedback so I don't see why that would be a problem, the feedback is that the app goes back or switches to card view.
    While the light bar is not really necessary it is very cool and I have come to see it an an integral part of webos. In a way I'm kinda glad they didn't release the windsornot with that boring touchpad/ipad like bitton
    Quote Originally Posted by nlaskoski2009 View Post
    I would be more worried about not having a physical keyboard for 'just type' especially since that is one of the innovations that webOS is known for.
    That can be fixed- I hear a Just Type gesture is in the works
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The LED should light up when a recognized gesture is done.
    Yes, but not until after the app has already reacted, not all that helpful really and more often than not it is already lit.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Yes, but not until after the app has already reacted, not all that helpful really and more often than not it is already lit.
    What's the point in having it animate after the app has reacted? Ideally both elements should give visual feedback at the same time imo.
    search button = just type, back button = back, home button = apps. No need for gestures.
    search button = just type, back button = back, home button = apps. No need for gestures.
    We at WOSN love our gestures. That said, nothing's stopping someone from repurposing the capacitive button pad as a gesture area. And on newer ICS and JB phones, google has already ditched the buttons for soft buttons, on the LCD. We could simply dedicate the lowest maybe 8% of the screen as a gesture bar, with a virtual LED in the middle. But repurposing the button bar on older phones would be awesome, and the led behind, say, the home button, could be used as the indicator light.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Sweep Up from bottom = Minimize Card, Sweep Fully Across Left>Right or Right>Left = Switch between open Cards, Sweep Up from bottom when no Cards open = Open Launcher, Sweep Up from bottom when in Just Type = Dismiss Just Type...

Which buttons replace those gestures?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Sweep Up from bottom = Minimize Card, Sweep Fully Across Left>Right or Right>Left = Switch between open Cards, Sweep Up from bottom when no Cards open = Open Launcher, Sweep Up from bottom when in Just Type = Dismiss Just Type...

Which buttons replace those gestures?
    Indeed, buttons = unintuitive. There's really no need to throw out one of webOS signature features/ISPs.
    Why either or? Why not both?
    Seems to me, the quarrel is a bit artificial...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Why either or? Why not both?
    Seems to me, the quarrel is a bit artificial...
    Because webOS' UI wasn't designed with buttons in mind? And a lot of us here happen to prefer the gesture system to droid's 3/4 button setup? Admittedly it could be a toggleable option so the user could choose, but there's only so much you can do with four buttons.

Also, artificial? If the implication is that we're supporting our views for no reason, I can assure you that would be incorrect.
    well, as far as inputs go at the moment, we have a touch screen and exactly one multi function button. Moving to an Android device that has 3 or 4 function buttons is basically just adding buttons to do things that we already do without. It might be possible to detect a back/forward swipe on the buttons on some models, even, and then we have the phone gesture area, although frankly that's quite annoying having an active area at the bottom of the device on a device > 3.6 inches. Then again even having a phone with a display larger than 3.6" is pretty annoying too, IMO.

Swiping around is well suited for small phones with little space, but I question how nice it is on larger things, or things with tiny bezels.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I hope some really good hardware with a physical keyboard comes out and webOS get put on it . I can't imagine having to use a on screen keyboard !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Physical QWERTY + Gestures is what attracted me to webOS.

I want both, just not sure I'll get them in the future.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Well looking at the touchpad and the windsornot it seems as if buttons were coming back any way. Booo
    And how was gestures suppose to work on the windsornot with that big *** button in my way
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Well, once we have source I'm sure someone can come up with a "virtual" gesture area on screen for devices without a real gesture area (assuming Open WebOS will run on android hardware). Like the Galaxy Nexus's virtual buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by beveragevendor View Post
    Well, once we have source I'm sure someone can come up with a "virtual" gesture area on screen for devices without a real gesture area (assuming Open WebOS will run on android hardware). Like the Galaxy Nexus's virtual buttons.
    This is the next planned step in my fluid-gestures branch on Github.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123