webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS on Android Phones
webOS on Android Phones
Like Tree17Likes

Old 03/01/2012, 03:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

i think there is no chance that there is not a tablet release. Zero. It's the only thing they've said they are interested in possibly making. I don't remotely really see how phones would be their number one priority. I'm not saying they won't release both in hopes that they both catch on but it seems illogical that they wouldn't emphasize the tablet OS. Especially considering at least in the states the pre 3 never even got released.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/01/2012 at 05:44 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 03:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
i think there is no chance that there is not a tablet release. Zero. It's the only thing they've said they are interested in possibly making. I don't remotely really don't see how phones would be their number one priority. I'm not saying they won't release both in hopes that they don't catch on but seems illogical that they wouldn't emphasize the tablet OS. Especially considering at least in the states the pre 3 never even got released.
With all those negatives I'm not at all sure I have parsed your meaning correctly but I think you are saying you beleive it will definately be a tablet release and I don't think anyone is saying it won't. That said, it is most probabably that it will be both tablet and phone capable for several reasons:

1) That was the direction they were moving in before Leo Gate.

2) There is a strong demand for phone-capable OSs (a lot more smartphones are sold than tablets).

3) Just because they aren't interested in making a phone doesn't mean someone else isn't.

4) The code is still there in the codebase, it may need tweaking a bit to work but in an open-source world that tweaking will happen, if not directly by HP then by someone else.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 05:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
With all those negatives I'm not at all sure I have parsed your meaning correctly
Yeah, that paragraph I wrote was written absolutely horribly wasn't it? lol. I read it and was like *** did i say? I think when editing i deleted a sentence here and added one there and went back and rewrote another. But forgot to delete a bunch of words or change the negatives. lol. i retyped it to more effectively convey what i meant to say. Sorry.
Old 03/01/2012, 07:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

I think what might put a spanner in the works is Mozilla's Boot 2 Gecko that was demoed at MWC. They have already released a working alpha for SG2 phones (yes, it does make calls and sends/receives txt messages), and uses the same programming base as webOS - HTML/CSS/JS. By the time HP finally get all the goodies out required to get webOS running on other phones, Mozilla *may* have already beaten them to the punch.

One leg up webOS *will* have is that it uses a standard linux kernel. The Mozilla effort is using an Android kernel as its base, which could lead to dramas down the track if Google change their mind on who can or can't use their kernel.
lavo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 08:50 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
i think there is no chance that there is not a tablet release. Zero. It's the only thing they've said they are interested in possibly making. I don't remotely really see how phones would be their number one priority. I'm not saying they won't release both in hopes that they both catch on but it seems illogical that they wouldn't emphasize the tablet OS. Especially considering at least in the states the pre 3 never even got released.
Maybe HP is waiting for Windows 8? So they can have Windows 8 and webOS dualboot? I also think HP is giving up the smartphone market.

I have a question when webOS is released is it preferred that you have a Qualcomm SoC if you want to run it?
Old 03/02/2012, 01:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
Maybe HP is waiting for Windows 8? So they can have Windows 8 and webOS dualboot? I also think HP is giving up the smartphone market.

I have a question when webOS is released is it preferred that you have a Qualcomm SoC if you want to run it?
I don't know about dual boot but HP has already said they are expecting to have windows 8 tablets out this year, 2012 Whitman: HP's Windows 8 Tablet Slated for 2012

Don't forget this statement "We have to have a tablet offering. We will be back in that business. We're coming back into the market with a Windows 8 tablet, first on an x86 chip and then maybe on an ARM chip. We'll see. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to do that. Windows 8, we don’t know when the delivery is for that software on an ARM chip." http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/chann...ck.htm?pgno=10

now that's nothing new. This was an interesting comment from that interview,

"I think our sweet spot has to be around security. This whole security thing is a big worry, not just for big enterprises but also for medium enterprises and small and medium businesses.
So if we can provide devices that consumers really want -- and by the way, employees are consumers, too -- and we can provide a tablet offering, then we have an opportunity to solve problems for the enterprise and small- and medium-business segments,"

That statement make me think their focus in tablets will largely be enterprise tablets not something for consumers. So windows 8 may allow them to sell tablets that people can easily make software for as i've heard one issue with ipads in business is if you want to make custom software just for your company you still have to put it in the app store. not sure if thats' 100% accurate but it seems like something Apple would do. I also find it really interesting that when she discussed webos and indicted the closed nature if ios and the fragmentation of android she went on to justify webos by saying, "we are great partners with Microsoft and Intel but the world needs a alternative operating system." I thought it was curious that she mentioned microsoft and intel. Seems to me she's specifically talking about a tablet context. They aren't partners with them on phones. Not even sure intel is really that relevant in the smartphone space just yet. Seems to me that "we are partners with microsoft and intel but" line indicates at that moment she may really have been speaking largely about the tablet space not phones at all.

as for phones who knows especially in two years when things may change. maybe something catches on and they decided to make hardware. But Meg did say that she didn't think they'd make phones again.
Old 03/16/2012, 01:38 PM   #27 (permalink)

Someone mentioned gesture area on android. Why not make the buttons at the bottom the gesture area?

Instead of detecting a fluid swipe, you just detect the movement as buttons are accessed. I know it wont work on every android phone but a quick glance at Sprints current selections shows mostly inductive buttons.
Old 03/16/2012, 02:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

I would be happy with the back button for back swipe and menu button for launcher.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2012, 05:47 AM   #29 (permalink)

I was using Palm Pixi Plus and now i have a BLU Studio 5.3 Android Smart Phone.I Love WebOS and Want it on my BLU Studio.Please help me regarding this if there is any developments for webos on android phone.
neesain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2012, 06:01 AM   #30 (permalink)

Minimum wait, September, but I wouldn't be holding your breath for a September release.
Old 04/23/2012, 06:07 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Minimum wait, September, but I wouldn't be holding your breath for a September release.
many thanks bro , ......so i m holding my breath for sept.
neesain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2012, 05:35 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
So how would the back and forward gestures work on android phones?
Actually, devices like the evo 4g (which I have), have capacitive sensors that extend below the screen just like on the pre, which is used for the hardware buttons. I've tested with the browser, and the whole area is touch sensitive, not just the button spots.
Also, it's worth noting that the touchpad runs webos fine with no gesture area.
And finally, once webos ha open-sourced, I don't think it should be too difficult to map the 'back' function to the back key that almost every Android device has.
Anyway, if webos ever really does come to android/my phone, I will probably pee my pants in joy. But I'm not holding my breath.
orangejedi829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 05/09/2012, 09:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejedi829 View Post
Actually, devices like the evo 4g (which I have), have capacitive sensors that extend below the screen just like on the pre, which is used for the hardware buttons. I've tested with the browser, and the whole area is touch sensitive, not just the button spots.
Also, it's worth noting that the touchpad runs webos fine with no gesture area.
And finally, once webos ha open-sourced, I don't think it should be too difficult to map the 'back' function to the back key that almost every Android device has.
Anyway, if webos ever really does come to android/my phone, I will probably pee my pants in joy. But I'm not holding my breath.
That's what I've been thinking exactly. The only thing I wonder about is devices without dedicated buttons, though since CM9 has software button area, I don't see why webOS couldn't have the same thing managed by the OS. My two cents though is that in an OS lockup, buttons that are not managed by the hardware/firmware are worthless. As long as there are a couple of hardware buttons to reset, we are good.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 07/01/2012, 02:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Simple, move the gesture area onto the screen. Have it hide when not in use, or alternately use multi-finger gestures instead of a dedicated area. Gesture navigation is so much more intuitive than tap tap tap tap tap.

Alternatively, stick with bezel swipes and have cleverer, more responsive algorithms monitoring the finger movement.
Or just turn the capacitive buttons into a gesture area...
quiestbml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2012, 02:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
Or just turn the capacitive buttons into a gesture area...
I've given this thought too, the only concern for me would be the visual feedback- there are no droid phones on the market with a LED bar for gestures, so it'd either have to be via the button's backlights (presuming there's per-button access to the LED) or an onscreen indicator at the bottom of the screen.
Old 07/02/2012, 01:03 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
...now that's nothing new. This was an interesting comment from that interview,

"I think our sweet spot has to be around security. This whole security thing is a big worry, not just for big enterprises but also for medium enterprises and small and medium businesses.
So if we can provide devices that consumers really want -- and by the way, employees are consumers, too -- and we can provide a tablet offering, then we have an opportunity to solve problems for the enterprise and small- and medium-business segments,"

That statement make me think their focus in tablets will largely be enterprise tablets not something for consumers. ...
That is exactly how I read it. I read Windows8 as in "Exchange-Integration" as in "Active Directory Security" as in "Office-Integration" etc. These things matter a lot for companies...
Old 07/02/2012, 07:27 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
I've given this thought too, the only concern for me would be the visual feedback- there are no droid phones on the market with a LED bar for gestures, so it'd either have to be via the button's backlights (presuming there's per-button access to the LED) or an onscreen indicator at the bottom of the screen.
My Pre3 doesn't give any useful visual feedback so I don't see why that would be a problem, the feedback is that the app goes back or switches to card view.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2012, 09:23 AM   #38 (permalink)

While they may not be popular, a decent collection of T-mobile devices actually have a trackpad area that can be used for some things. The MyTouch 3g, 4g, and 4g slide are still easily available. Call me the only T-mo fan here. :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2012, 12:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
My Pre3 doesn't give any useful visual feedback so I don't see why that would be a problem, the feedback is that the app goes back or switches to card view.
The LED should light up when a recognized gesture is done.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2012, 12:42 AM   #40 (permalink)

I would be more worried about not having a physical keyboard for 'just type' especially since that is one of the innovations that webOS is known for.
p.s I told my die hard android pall about possible dual booting webOS and android and he practically ****ed his pants in excitement.
nlaskoski2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android port webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0