webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS Open Source Ideas Hub
webOS Open Source Ideas Hub
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By dr3wster

Old 02/24/2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Morning All!

I have been a long, loyal follower of Palm since the Palm IIIx days and have owned virtually every device they have released since ... which has also made me quite poor lol .. I've bought almost all webOS devices released and am happily still using my Pre 3 & TouchPad. Like most of you, I'm pretty shattered at how webOS was managed / marketed under the control of Palm and then HP. IMO, it is the best, but most underappreciated mobile OS available.. Now that it's being open sourced, there is some real potential for webOS to succeed, but there are a lot of improvements to be made before it can attract the attention of device manufacturers and the general public .. eg. apps in app catalog, under-the-hood performance and new innovative features

I have also been following the webOS nation Wish List and similar threads (like gamecreator08's webOS Development Idea(s) Center) ... There's some really great ideas out there, but we really need a central place to house all these ideas so that they can be easily viewed / modified / added to by developers and users. This way, we can hopefully have developers all over the world contributing to the advancement of webOS, adding features / bug fixes that we suggest (and record progress), but without overlapping / duplicating of efforts ...

Gamecreator08 had the idea originally to do this, but there hasn't been much progress in moving towards a central repository, so I thought I would pick up the ball and help out ...

So without further ado, I give you the online tracker of feature requests / bug fixes for the development of Open Source webOS:

Link
Location of ideas hub:
https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/486337/stories

Updates:
> Have added feature requests from all webOS nation "Wish list" articles
> Have added features requests up to Post #9 of http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...wish-list.html

Please feel free to help or suggest any improvements.

Note to mods: I know there's a similar thread already, but I didn't feel right taking over gamecreator08's thread.. sorry for the troubles!

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

Last edited by dr3wster; 02/29/2012 at 09:11 PM.
dr3wster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, ShiftyAxel and Isandunk like this.
Old 02/25/2012, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Nice one, I'll start adding right away! Gamecreator08 took way longer than was needed.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2012, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

< reserved >

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE

Old 02/25/2012, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

< reserved - last one for kicks!!!>

Old 02/25/2012, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

< reserved - actually maybe one more! >

Old 02/25/2012, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Nice one, I'll start adding right away! Gamecreator08 took way longer than was needed.
Thanks heaps for your support ShiftAxel!! Much much appreciated... It was def a good idea that Gamecreator08 started, but agreed ... we really needed to get things rolling ... the central repository will definitely help coordination of development efforts so they can hit the ground running come September ... and it's def way easier than scrolling through threads trying to pull out the ideas!

Last edited by dr3wster; 02/25/2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02/27/2012, 06:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Not a problem, I'm an ideas machine perhaps you should get in touch with the webOS Nation Team and see if you can get this thread mentioned in one of their wish list posts? That'd increase mindshare and get more people involved in the ideas hub.
Old 02/27/2012, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Not a problem, I'm an ideas machine perhaps you should get in touch with the webOS Nation Team and see if you can get this thread mentioned in one of their wish list posts? That'd increase mindshare and get more people involved in the ideas hub.
Holy crap, that's amazing! Thanks for contributing soooo many ideas ... You are definitely an ideas machine... I like all the UI and lunsysmgr improvements you came up with ... work certainly needs to be done to refine the user experience... I love especially, the multitouch text selection, Splitscreen Cards and enyo transitions!

I'm going to PM Derek and Rod shortly to get more widespread webOSNation support / Open Source Dev support too

Thanks heaps for continuing to support this! Your contributions were massive!

I might also create a generic account that ppl can just login with and upload ideas without having to wait to be accepted into the project!

Old 02/27/2012, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Haha, good to hear it's all going down well I have a bunch more ideas stashed in Notes on my TP (wouldn't it be nice to have Notes sync right about now?) so I'll put them up when I get access to it tomorrow.

Great plans so far, I look forward to this (hopefully) becoming the go-to place for Open-Source ideas!
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

do we need to merge another other thread into this one?

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-s-center.html
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
do we need to merge another other thread into this one?

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-s-center.html
Please wait moderator! We will explain soon. Thanks!

--gamecreator08
gamecreator08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 08:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Added a couple of new ideas revolving around Just Type

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0