webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Can Enyo-Opensource be patched to enable SYM-key on phones
Can Enyo-Opensource be patched to enable SYM-key on phones

Old 02/22/2012, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

SYM key does not work in enyo apps using webOS 2.x so Umlauts and other special characters are impossible to enter in enyo apps (try Mnchen in HP Maps) which is "not nice" in terms of internationalization.
Now that Telephone app is in eny not Contacts can be entered having Umlauts, i can't even imagine if the browser is converted to enyo (isis), how could one use it without beeing able to enter symbols on a phone.
more on it:
[Patch request]enable SYM key in enyo on webOS <3.x

Can anybody scan the enyo sourcecode and release an enyo 1.01 for phones to get enyo SYM-key enabled?
Old 02/22/2012, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a Veer with webOS 2.1.1 and can type in German Umlaute and other SYM enabled characters.

TouchPads Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
I have a Veer with webOS 2.1.1 and can type in German Umlaute and other SYM enabled characters.
Really in the enyo HP Maps ("Karten") Bing app? or any other enyo app like the free datajog trail?

Last edited by gizmo21; 02/23/2012 at 09:54 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

so there is the discussion on developer.palm.com about the enyo lacks on phones:

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...?f=109&t=19611
Old 02/24/2012, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Really in the enyo HP Maps ("Karten") Bing app? or any other enyo app like the free datajog trail?
Yes, definitely no problem! Also pressung SHIFT before directly leads to typing capital Umlaute.

TouchPads Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
Old 02/25/2012, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Yes, definitely no problem! Also pressung SHIFT before directly leads to typing capital Umlaute.
can you post a Screenshot you seem to be the only one with a working enyo

Last edited by gizmo21; 02/25/2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02/25/2012, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Care to explain how you do that, step by step?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2012, 04:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry folks, I mixed up SYM with OPTION %} Really sorry for that! As I have a QWERTZ Veer, there is no need for me to use SYM for typing German Umlaute, so I got a bit confused …

I agree: Enabling SYM in Enyo apps should be on the Open Source webOS whishlist!
Old 07/05/2012, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

any news on this to be released for the public?

https://github.com/enyojs/enyo-1.0/pull/12

----

Last edited by gizmo21; 07/05/2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07/05/2012, 02:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also have no problems typing umlaute into Maps. The Option key works as designed here.
Maybe you have wrong language settings? I set mine to "Deutsch", when I set up my devices.
Old 07/05/2012, 03:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't believe that that patch is being accepted into Enyo, even if it were, it wouldn't affect your device. You could however pull that and apply it to your device.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 04:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
I also have no problems typing umlaute into Maps. The Option key works as designed here.
Maybe you have wrong language settings? I set mine to "Deutsch", when I set up my devices.
Well on Pre3/Veer (QWERTZ) all is good with the Umlauts as they are made with OPTION-key now instead of SYM-key. But also on Pre3 it is NOT possible to use any symbol in an enyo-app (e.g. stock Telephone app) that is only accessible via SYM-key. --> this is acknowledged serveral times now (2.2.4). e.g. try to type
"palm prē" with a line over the e in an enyo app

On my Pre2 (which is only available as QWERTY but is set to "Deutsch") Umlauts can only be made by SYM-key (like in the older Pre-/+/Pixi-models). This is why enyo-apps are even worse on the Pre2 in countries depending on characters accessible via SYM-key.

@eblade i'll take a try, have not done this before. But hey i learned a lot since having a webOS device
Old 07/05/2012, 07:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just to note for anyone that needs umlaute's or accents on a Enyo app while using a phone device or on TouchPad you can use "Quick-Keys Keyboard" from the App Catalog.

Works on every Enyo app I've tried (maps,datajog)

Quick-Keys Keyboard App currently supports all these letters :

ڡ
djgardn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

nice finding, already wanted to buy it but somehow forgot it. Just tried it - it works

ah well the german is missing

Last edited by gizmo21; 07/05/2012 at 09:31 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0