webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Touch To Share support for other apps
Touch To Share support for other apps
Like Tree4Likes

Old 02/20/2012, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

now that WebOS is open source, I think it would be nice to get TTS working with other apps such as sending pictures from phone to touchpad or contacts or whatnot.

once the tools become released of course,

would this be a difficult feat?
Old 02/20/2012, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Shouldn't be - there is (or at least there was supposed to be) an API to allow apps to send URLs back and forth. Augmenting that for other data shouldn't be a huge feat.
Liked by blackfireball5 likes this.
Old 02/21/2012, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thats what I'm thinking too. I'd really like to see people work on this once the tools are available.
Old 03/02/2012, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Any progress in this area?
CanuckPalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The API is right there and able for anyone to use. The problem is, there are very few people with both a Pre3 and a TouchPad, and TouchPad to TouchPad touch-to-share is pretty difficult to get working right, at least for me. Also, I can't really think of any possible use for it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've always wanted the TTS for photos from pre3 to TP.

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
siobhanellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2012, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, you're pretty much limited to short bursts of text, such as URLs. Might take quite some time to transmit an image, but I guess it could be done. Base64 it, transmit it as a data url, and un-base64 it on the other side.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 03/03/2012, 01:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd be willing to test any touch to share. I just so happen to have 2 each TP and HPre3. I just wish I could develop the darn things....

Sent from HPTP Communities
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2012, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
I've always wanted the TTS for photos from pre3 to TP.
There is in fact a patch that allows for that to happen, but unfortanetly, there is no app to use with that patch.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2012, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Since TTS uses blutooth to send urls between devices..surely just allowing blutooth transfers of urls, files etc should be possible (without the whole touching devices together)
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2012, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

All:

See does touch to share work between touchpads? for instructions on how to allow tap2shared to use the rear comm coil on the TouchPad. This makes back-to-back taps work with other TPs and with phones.

I'll have to look at what we've released to see what the API supports.. "My" part (tap2shared) probably wouldn't need changes since it only does what is needed to get the two devices talking via BT. (The a6-a6 comm rate is quite slow so it isn't practical to send more than ~150 bytes using that mechanism.)

edc
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.
chejlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2012, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I was poking around at this a few weeks back, and noticed that the Tap To Share service does have a function call to call for sending files via Tap, however, it's not clear if it's something that actually works to any degree, or if it's there but actually disabled in code, or if there's some special incantation required to make it do it's thing. Obviously, it was intended to eventually work that way, but the actual support isn't there, possibly for the reasons that chejlava said.

SynerGV has a basic support for tap-to-share, if you are looking at a message in the TouchPad app, and tap your Pre3 or TTS equipped Veer to it, the phone dialer will launch with the phone number of the person in that google voice conversation. I couldn't think of much else to do with it.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 07/25/2012, 01:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

If anyone need this tested: I got Pre3 and TP...

Pics is only one thing. I think of contacts or a whole contact list. I think of documents. I think of music. i think of all the good things that could be exchanged between two devices.
Or as I always say: if you want to achieve something, you have to think big
Old 07/25/2012, 03:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

I would like to see preader syncing the text position using TTS. I could be reading on the street a book and when I come back to a more comfortable setting, use TTS to sync the position on the touchpad.
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2012, 03:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

SynerGV 1 will be getting an update to add the ability to Tap a Voicemail from a Pre3 to a TouchPad. (it will really just send a command to the TouchPad to go get it, itself, but it's kinda neat anyway)
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 09/02/2012, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Touch to share is also in Palm's Facebook app on the TouchPad, if you open a photo in the app, then touch another TouchPad to it, then it will open that photo in the second TouchPad's browser.
kmoll3ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 04:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoll3ster View Post
Touch to share is also in Palm's Facebook app on the TouchPad, if you open a photo in the app, then touch another TouchPad to it, then it will open that photo in the second TouchPad's browser.
Works btw TP and Pre³ also. It Actually sends the photo unique url to the second device.

Interesting....
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 08:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoll3ster View Post
Also, of course, works between TouchPad and Pre 3 .. but it's not in the Pre app, only in the TouchPad version of the app. So, you can share from TouchPad to Pre/Veer with TTS. Perhaps if you install the TouchPad version of Facebook on the Pre with tuckerbox, it would work.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 09/04/2012, 04:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Also, of course, works between TouchPad and Pre 3 .. but it's not in the Pre app, only in the TouchPad version of the app. So, you can share from TouchPad to Pre/Veer with TTS. Perhaps if you install the TouchPad version of Facebook on the Pre with tuckerbox, it would work.
Eric, I'm wondering at the possibility to hack together Jason's Internalz and Prenewbie's TP wifi browser.
While browsing the device A, a tap would initiate viewed file's url sharing. Device A will send the url (something like "device A's IP address:1234/browsed file's local path) to Device B's browser. File transfer would be handled via wifi allowing document sharing, media streaming..
Of course, both devices have to be connected to the same network.

Anyone interested?
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 09/04/2012, 07:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It's my understanding that that can be done. Zap Photoshare does something similar, by running a web server on a phone, for example, then you tap and it shares the url to the touchpad.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0