webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP: Stop the FUD and show us the real webOS source.
HP: Stop the FUD and show us the real webOS source.
Like Tree29Likes

Old 02/20/2012, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Hound

Hi all,

FYI....see link.

Take care,

Jay

HP: Stop the FUD and show us the real webOS source.

By Jason Perlow | February 18, 2012, 12:35pm PST

Summary: HP’s CEO Meg Whitman has expressed her concerns about Android going “closed source” post Google’s acquisition of Motorola. But is this legitimate concern or simply FUD?

HP: Stop the FUD and show us the real webOS source. | ZDNet
Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
ilovedessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 02/20/2012, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm prone to disagree with that article, HP seems committed to doing the right thing with webOS, and running around shouting 'show us the source' isn't going to make the process of replacing licensed code go any faster.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that Whitman's been CEO of HP for about 4 months now, yet the author seems intent on holding her accountable for HP's actions in the past. That, and slating her as much as possible. I mean really? "Android may become closed-source" sounds to me like speculation or an opinion, not an attempt at spreading FUD. Stinks of shock journalism imo, yuck.
Old 02/20/2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
I'm prone to disagree with that article, HP seems committed to doing the right thing with webOS, and running around shouting 'show us the source' isn't going to make the process of replacing licensed code go any faster.
agreed esp when they have chunks of proprietary code to replace in the process, and make sure they do a thorough job of it.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2012, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Whitman overstated the situation, there's no argument against that. However, to think that Google would buy Motorola Mobility and not use every avenue possible to make money off of it is laughable. Business just doesn't work that way. At the very, very least they'll likely have more influence on OS development and better access to the OS than other manufacturers.

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bluenote likes this.
Old 02/20/2012, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I stopped reading at "ZDnet"
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Grabber5.0, Cyberpmg and 6 others like this.
Thanked by DJeremyC, Rnp, sledge007
Old 02/20/2012, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like some of the zdnet but see no reason to read this article as HP seems to have a plan in place and so far have delivered on their milestones. I like their enthusiasm about webOS and the way the CEO is using her high profile to keep it in peoples' minds.

ps not to mention the fact that webos internals is already hard at work replacing some webOS code in order to give us an Isis browser technology preview app in a few weeks time for the upcoming new open webOS Isis browser.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...s-whos-me.html
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2012, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Omg! Really? I'm sure you had the exact opposite opinion of the PPPAAALLLLMMMM youtube videos.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by DJeremyC likes this.
Old 02/20/2012, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
Omg! Really? I'm sure you had the exact opposite opinion of the PPPAAALLLLMMMM youtube videos.
Hmm, my sarcasm sense is tingling. I'm afraid I can't fully appreciate your post though, I never actually watched those videos and you seem to have got the amount of letters in 'PPPAAALLLLMMMM' wrong, so I can't find them via search.
Old 02/20/2012, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

The whole HP position is idiotic.

Google wrote the Android codes by themselves, releases it under Apache license and the so-called open source project is under strictly Google governance without any outside members --- and since Google is the original author, they can close the source code back at any time if they wanted.

HP/Palm wrote the WebOS codes by themselves, releases it under Apache license and the so-called open source project is under strictly HP governance without any outside members ---- and since HP is the original author, they can close the source code back at any time if they wanted.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

That ZDNet article IS a sledge hammer, full stop. It just takes advantage of yet another hurried step from HP. There are things you can only say when you DE-LI-VER goods to market, if not, you better shut up and go back to work.

Maybe they thought there were enough illiterate people to swallow that pill, but in the end, it only makes you look ridiculous yet again.

As for that new "Isis" browser... Anyone bets against the fact that HP announces, and then HOMEBREW DELIVERS?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 05:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
HP/Palm wrote the WebOS codes by themselves, releases it under Apache license and the so-called open source project is under strictly HP governance without any outside members
You may wish to double check that last statement...

-- Rod (hint: my name is on the list)
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, treodoc755, bevcraw and 6 others like this.
Old 02/21/2012, 05:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
As for that new "Isis" browser... Anyone bets against the fact that HP announces, and then HOMEBREW DELIVERS?
Actually, at the moment, HP engineers and homebrew developers are working together to bring this to Preware...

You may also like to check the github team of people with commit permissions to the Isis project - there are two non-HP people in that list too...

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, treodoc755, OldSkoolVWLover and 1 others like this.
Old 02/21/2012, 05:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

I'm sure I'm not the only person who is extremely happy that HP are giving you and the rest of your team such a hands on role in the open sourcing of webOS, this only helps to make the whole transition smoother and a better user experience for us all as hopefully a lot of the tweaks and patches we all need to apply will work their way into the OS at its core and make it a more complete and all round better user experience.

Dave
Old 02/21/2012, 06:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

this pretty much says it all.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/21/2012, 06:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm, my sarcasm sense is tingling. I'm afraid I can't fully appreciate your post though, I never actually watched those videos and you seem to have got the amount of letters in 'PPPAAALLLLMMMM' wrong, so I can't find them via search.
OK, finally found it... Check it out, it was all the rage around here when webOS was still relevant: releasemypre's Channel - YouTube

EDIT: Not saying webOS won't be relevant again, but it certainly is not right now...
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
OK, finally found it... Check it out, it was all the rage around here when webOS was still relevant: releasemypre's Channel - YouTube

EDIT: Not saying webOS won't be relevant again, but it certainly is not right now...
Damn, those are still funny. I actually had never seen most of the earlier videos, so I got a good laugh. The second to last one is still my favorite though, where he stares at the girl reading a magazine on the couch until she agrees to go buy a Pre.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Not a big fan of Zdnet . Even less of a Jason Perlow fan. He needs to learn to think before he writes.

- "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"
peterlemonjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 01:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
Dude, really? That's SOOOO left field and uncalled for. He represents and is part of the community so be careful with your choice of words for that's like saying that phrase toward the entire community.
I wasn't really attacking him. But the fact remains that he isn't in charge of anything important --- he is the community outreach person.

From my very first post in this thread, I was merely pointing out that HP and Google are both using the same open source governance model --- no independent foundation, no independent board of directors...

This is very different from IBM open sourcing eclipse --- by setting up an independent foundation with independent board of directors.

The fact remains that HP retains its PC division and can make a dual-boot tablet --- so it is not so different from Google buying Motorola (in terms of scaring off potential hardware partners to use webos). If HP wants to get potential hardware partners on board, then HP needs to set up an open source governance model like LiMo where the LiMo foundation is populated by various handset makers.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 05:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
I wasn't really attacking him. But the fact remains that he isn't in charge of anything important --- he is the community outreach person.

From my very first post in this thread, I was merely pointing out that HP and Google are both using the same open source governance model --- no independent foundation, no independent board of directors...

This is very different from IBM open sourcing eclipse --- by setting up an independent foundation with independent board of directors.

The fact remains that HP retains its PC division and can make a dual-boot tablet --- so it is not so different from Google buying Motorola (in terms of scaring off potential hardware partners to use webos). If HP wants to get potential hardware partners on board, then HP needs to set up an open source governance model like LiMo where the LiMo foundation is populated by various handset makers.
Awh even my response was deleted from here. Could have at least blanked out the bad phrase mods Thus why we should choose our words carefull with no impulse.

Due note that HP has allowed outside sourced into the body and those like Rod are doing this on their side times from their real jobs.

We should not be surprised by not having an independent board after-all HP spent a pretty penny for it and still wants to make sure their investment goes right. Maybe down the road we'll such board but not during this transition period from closed source coding to open source.

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....

Last edited by addiarmadar; 02/21/2012 at 05:23 PM.
addiarmadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 05:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

I think that any reasonable person sees that HP is prepared to accept external independent input into the process. Rod's official position and the amount that they have spent to include him in the process is plenty of evidence for that.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0