webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Mozilla looking at webOS?
Mozilla looking at webOS?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  • 5 Post By sledge007

Old 02/18/2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mozilla to reveal allies for its challenge to Android and iOS | Deep Tech - CNET News

Saw this on Cnet the other day. Do you think Mozilla is using the basis of webOS for this? Sounds very similar IMO.
Old 04/04/2012, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't understand how the people are getting this idea at all since the Mozilla search engine is incompatible.. And one more thing is that i am getting to hear about it again again in the news..Is it really going to be..We will have to wait and see..
angeldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

This should just be a no-brainer decision,they both have very similar approaches but webos is actually a real os that has been out for 3 years including the best tablet os after the ipad. but webos needs firefox cz they really know how to do open source stuff and get partners and community around them, maybe even just merge webos and boot2gecko like nokia and intel did with moblin but keep the webos name and ui and improve on it. boot2gecko would seriously help webos at its core and performance.
khaled93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

hp is rewriting webos browser to be faster, will probably see it late summer
google Isis browser for more info
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 04/04/2012, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
I'll put it really simply: You're far, far more likely to be struck 23 times by lightning and win the Mega Millions jackpot 6 times in a row before this were to ever happen.

Thanked By: sq5
Old 04/04/2012, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
LOL Classic!!!!!
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 06:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Additionally B2G is almost in a release-capable state already (working with LG to get a device out) and leverages completely different and more robust web-capable APIs (rather than device-capable, like webOS does).

The only real similarity between the two is that they leverage HTML5 for applications, and the major difference there is that on B2G you can visit a website using the WebAPI that Mozilla's put together and it'll act like a downloaded app without having to download it in the first place.
Well, it's not per device anymore. Enyo 2.x runs on all HTML5-browser now and apps made with 2.x work almost immediately on phones and tablets.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That's only the UI.

For access to any hardware (like GPS) or system functionality (like calendar) you still need the webos specific APIs or some compability layer like PhoneGap.

The idea behind webOs and B2G is the same. Many other things are different... but B2G could be a new market for "our" app developers and maybe finance us a few apps on our sinking ship.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0