webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > The Competition: Mozilla Boot2Gecko mobilesOS
The Competition: Mozilla Boot2Gecko mobilesOS

Old 02/18/2012, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

HTML5/CSS/JS-based opensource mobile operation system, does that sound familiar

First look: Mozilla's Boot2Gecko mobile platform and Gaia UI
https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G

One step further, they present partners on the MWC :
https://twitter.com/#!/BrendanEich/s...60726901956608

Quote:
Ryan Paul @segphault
@BrendanEich fair point, but I suspect webOS code will be published in entirety sooner than B2G will be developed into a mature platform

BrendanEich BrendanEich @BrendanEich
@segphault we should lay bets! We'll be at MWC with partners...
But perhaps there could be some code swapping between those projects
Old 02/18/2012, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

yeah I saw this on CNET

Mozilla to reveal allies for its challenge to Android and iOS | Deep Tech - CNET News
Old 02/18/2012, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

kinda stupid. Why not double down on webOS?
hpsalesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Looks like the feature phone equivalent of webOS to me. That homescreen brings back unpleasant memories of Samsung TouchWiz... *shudder* I'd hate to see it become the standard web-based OS over webOS.

Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/19/2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Additional opinionatedness.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 02:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There an echo in here or something?
Old 02/22/2012, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post

1. webOS is based on the Webkit engine, which Apple developed as a fork of an earlier engine and both Apple and Google effectively dominate the ongoing open-source guidance and development of. Apple and Google have a monumental amount of influence over the Webkit engine, as much as the webOS fans talk about how much they hate iOS and Android.

2. Mozilla is based on the Gecko engine, which they started out of the ashes of Netscape far before Webkit was born. They rule their own engine's destiny.

So, the two platforms are fundamentally incompatible and thus no code-sharing, and nor any "doubling-down" on webOS.)
Well that's true for the UI-part but not for the linux, devicedrivers ... part.
And as both are html5 driven UIs even there could be similarities even if the renderengine is completly different.
Old 02/24/2012, 04:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
cgk

Looks like LG will be providing developer hardware.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'd use it just because they have a lizard...
LizardWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Looks like LG will be providing developer hardware.
Yep seems like thats the case.

Mozilla rumored to debut LG-made Boot to Gecko device at MWC -- Engadget

This looks interesting.
Old 02/24/2012, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

probably just trying to find another source of revenue. the 'big thing' these days are apps. next you'll probably be seeing tv makers have some kind of app market that launches from your tv.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2012, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

More likely bluray players

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2012, 04:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

ccx,

Google TV, Apple TV.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2012, 02:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

um I think you guys missed my point. Companies like money. Companies want money. Dealing with 3rd part (google/apple) is not making them money. Think more along the lines of 'samsung tv app store' instead of apple tv. I doubt samsung gets anything from apple tv. And yeah blue ray players have some, but for now it just seems like a bunch of 'widgets'. Anyway, this is kind of veering off topic.

edit: I forgot to say that this is basically the same idea/concept as my earlier post regarding mozilla. If you have your own app store, you stand a chance of gaining more money.

say for example:

mozilla app store : 20% revenue for every app sold through their app store.

would mozilla get a single penny if they did not have their own app store and just linked through another 3rd party? Doubtful, or if so it would be vastly smaller than 20%

these are all theoretical numbers but is the basic thought I had earlier.

or, you might just say google is starting to go in that direction with chrome and mozilla is just following/copying them

Last edited by illli; 02/26/2012 at 02:12 PM.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

heise online - Telefůnica und Qualcomm unterstŁtzen Boot to Gecko

another video and that one seems quite polished.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 01:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Stupid question: If Mozilla is going to create an entire thriving ecosystem of HTML5 apps for Boot2Gecko, couldn't those apps also run on Open WebOS with little or no additional coding? Or am I being stupid?

If so, isn't it fantastic news for WebOS that Mozilla are creating a new front of app development just when WebOS is being prepared as THE open-source smartphone/tablet OS?

WebOS was a wonderful operating system, but with very restricted hardware and few apps it was pointless. This new scenario fixes all of that, doesn't it? An open-source WebOS with broad after-market hardware support would be competing with Mozilla for the users and developers of abundant easily-coded HTML5 apps.

I liked WebOS but I jumped ship for Android after a couple of months with a Pre3 because it couldn't do what I needed. It was the right choice, but Android is nothing like as nice to use. If WebOS had an HTML5 apps led revival you can be certain that I would go dual boot on my current phone (if possible), or convert my old phone at the next upgrade.
Rallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 04:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It may be possible, but then again Boot2Gecko apps may rely on Mozilla's rendering engine or some B2G-specific frameworks/libraries/etc. The only way to find out is to try it on release I guess.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 06:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

I've been reading a bit about B2G. It's all about standards based HTML5. That'll make it difficult for them to lock the apps down.

HTML5 is going to be the big thing over the next few years. If it weren't for B2G & HTML5 I reckon WebOS would be complete toast, but in fact it's going to be on the frontline of a renaissance in mobile computing. It might be there by accident, but its well placed to take take the initiative and the timing seems extraordinary!
Old 03/19/2012, 04:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallan View Post
I've been reading a bit about B2G. It's all about standards based HTML5. That'll make it difficult for them to lock the apps down.

HTML5 is going to be the big thing over the next few years. If it weren't for B2G & HTML5 I reckon WebOS would be complete toast, but in fact it's going to be on the frontline of a renaissance in mobile computing. It might be there by accident, but its well placed to take take the initiative and the timing seems extraordinary!
I don't think that you are giving Palm due credit for predicting the trend!
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2012, 05:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

More support for a new generation of HTML5 apps, this time with the new Samsung Bada/Tizen operating system.

"Tizen heavily leans toward the use of HTML5 technologies in its rendering and application platform, which will be useful once developers start building cross-platform apps through HTML5."
Samsung to Merge Bada with Tizen Smartphone OS | Tech Wire Asia

Looks like the future of WebOS is all about jumping on the HTML5 bandwagon!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0