webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis Browser Donations--Who's with Me?!!
Isis Browser Donations--Who's with Me?!!
Like Tree17Likes

Old 03/01/2012, 04:02 PM   #41 (permalink)

what's the total now
stung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 06:20 PM   #42 (permalink)

its march. I hope we see the linux kernel and the isis browser preview soon.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 07:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
gbp

Okay
$50.00 from me.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bluenote
Old 03/01/2012, 11:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

$424.18

c'mon isis and linux kernel!
Old 03/05/2012, 07:51 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I don't drink Mountain Dew, but fuzzy navels or Merlot works just as well. Or root beer.
She lives! Unwired Ben said he saw a demo of what you guys were doing a few weeks ago. Are you able to give us a progress report and/or possible ETA?

Thanks!
Old 03/07/2012, 08:46 PM   #46 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
its march. I hope we see the linux kernel and the isis browser preview soon.
Unfortunately, I don't have good news on this front.

After reviewing the Isis code release from HP, we do not have sufficient open source dependencies or build instructions to be able to complete this task in the short term.

I have discussed this with Donald and other members of the team, and we fell that the best thing for us to do right now is to offer refunds for anyone who has donated in this thread so far and to ask the moderators to close the thread.

We have not given up, but no longer see a clear path forward in the short term, so our honesty mandates that we offer refunds for any donations given so far. I have sent a personal PM to every person in this thread who has donated, offering a refund.

Anyone who wishes to receive a refund for a donation in this thread, please PM me with your paypal address and transaction id and I will arrange for your donation to be refunded immediately.

Thanks, and sorry for the disappointment in the short term.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 03/07/2012 at 08:58 PM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 08:57 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have good news on this front.

After reviewing the code release from HP, we do not have sufficient open source dependencies or build instructions to be able to complete this task in the short term.

I have discussed with Donald and other members of the team, and we fell that the best thing for us to do right now is to offer refunds for anyone who has donated in this thread so far and to ask the moderators to close the thread.

We have not given up, but no longer see a clear path forward in the short term, so our honesty mandates that we offer refunds for any donations given so far.

Anyone who wishes to receive a refund for a donation in this thread, please PM me with your paypal address and transaction id and I will arrange for your donation to be refunded immediately.

-- Rod
Thanks for the quick response and your scrupulousness in offering a refund. I had a feeling after I spoke to Ben and he said he had seen a demo several weeks ago, that you folks might have experienced roadblocks. Ben told me that a good portion of the progress of webOS going forward is going to rest on the shoulders of webos internals. Therefore I would like for you to certainly keep my donation.

I would also request of the moderators that they keep the thread open and retitle it:
webos internals working hard on open webOS--lets support 'em!
Old 03/07/2012, 09:02 PM   #48 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Thanks for the quick response and your scrupulousness in offering a refund. I had a feeling after I spoke to Ben and he said he had seen a demo several weeks ago, that you folks might have experienced roadblocks. Ben told me that a good portion of the progress of webOS going forward is going to rest on the shoulders of webos internals. Therefore I would like for you to certainly keep my donation.
At WebOS Internals, we prefer to receive donations only for things we have done, or for hardware required to run the project or on which to do development or testing.

I genuinely ask that no-one donate with an expectation of something in the future. That's just not the way we have worked in the past, and we do not want to set up expectations which outside factors may not allow us to live up to. Too many times I have seen that cause problems in other projects.

-- Rod
Old 03/07/2012, 09:03 PM   #49 (permalink)

I'm more than happy with where my donation currently is
diodo314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 09:14 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
At WebOS Internals, we prefer to receive donations only for things we have done, or for hardware required to run the project or on which to do development or testing.

I genuinely ask that no-one donate with an expectation of something in the future. That's just not the way we have worked in the past, and we do not want to set up expectations which outside factors may not allow us to live up to. Too many times I have seen that cause problems in other projects.

-- Rod
Its up to you. If you like, I can retitle the thread to give a thank you to webos internals for past efforts. I just used Tailor today to help a friend resize his touchpad so I am fine to have you keep my donation.
Old 03/07/2012, 10:08 PM   #51 (permalink)

what is the definition of short term? it could vary from person to person. i personally was not expecting anything for a few months.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 10:16 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccx View Post
what is the definition of short term? it could vary from person to person. i personally was not expecting anything for a few months.
I'll let Rod answer that. I will clarify my understanding from Rod that in terms of donations, he has requested the monies they receive be tied to past work or purchases for hardware for development and not for future expectation of software deliverables for openwebOS. That seems like a prudent course to take so they will donate their time upfront and hope that we will recognize their help after we have benefited from their achievements. I, myself have benefited from their past work and continue to benefit from the ongoing maintenance of preware and patches so I don't see any need to retract my donation.

Last edited by bluenote; 03/07/2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03/07/2012, 10:22 PM   #53 (permalink)

Here's another question that may or may not be able to be answered:

While we are waiting for open webos roadmap to complete, will the linux kernel being released this month be able to get us the ability to run latest version of flash with firefox/chromium in a linux partition? (either ubuntu or bodhi or something else?).
Old 03/07/2012, 10:29 PM   #54 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccx View Post
If we had everything we need, and it was just a matter of work to be done, I would not be taking this step. At this point, we have realised that we don't have everything we need, so we don't have a clear path forward in the short term, and cannot therefore guarantee success.

-- Rod
Old 03/08/2012, 01:15 AM   #55 (permalink)

My donation stays where it is, just change the label from Isis to all the good Preware stuff.
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter, hkowalczyk and Vistaus like this.
Old 03/08/2012, 09:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Out of curiosity, do we know what is not there, and is HP formulating a plan to get it there?

I understand that they are trying to continue moving forward, and probably don't really have the resources to vary much from their intended roadmap, but ... weird.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 03/08/2012, 12:22 PM   #57 (permalink)

I'm happy for my donation to stand, just for all the excellent Preware stuff.
Old 03/08/2012, 04:16 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I'm happy for my donation to stand, just for all the excellent Preware stuff.
Same for me...
HP TouchPad 16Gb WiFi US
Torakiki76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 03/08/2012, 07:13 PM   #59 (permalink)

Just kick my donation in to all of the hard work that went into updating all of the patches for the recent 3.0.5 update
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 03/08/2012, 09:29 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
If we had everything we need, and it was just a matter of work to be done, I would not be taking this step. At this point, we have realised that we don't have everything we need, so we don't have a clear path forward in the short term, and cannot therefore guarantee success.

-- Rod

I don't mean to sound like an ***, but that is pretty cryptic
I'm assuming this must be related to hp not releasing everything (yet) to open source?
let us assume down the road hp finally releases everything to open source. Would there be anything else needed ?
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0