webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis browser for current webOS?
Isis browser for current webOS?
Like Tree28Likes

Old 02/14/2012, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone know if Isis will be coming as a downloadable update for stock HP TouchPads?
Old 02/14/2012, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Most probably it won't run on a stock TouchPad, but according to the website it will run on a TouchPad updated to 3.0.5:
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.isis-project.org
Isis Browser is compatible with HP TouchPad devices running webOS 3.0.5.
Old 02/14/2012, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Umm wow - I am very interested in this. I was just talking to a coworker today who picked up a Touchpad b/c I had one, saying that the only real reason to consider installing CM9 is if you want a different browser experience.

When/how do we get an IPK install for this? Want to try!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
g7

I installed that on my pre3... it does not load any webpage in my case but it's the fastest enyo app I ever seen running in my phone.

(i edited the appinfo.json to change the id to com.palm.app.browser.isis and then ran palm-package)

Eugenio
g7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Interesting. Is it possible to build this on the touchpad or does it have to be done through the SDK? Not quite sure how these are built yet.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Old 02/14/2012, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Love it so far.. Gizmodo would kill the browser before and now seems a lot better.
B18DelSolT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartKidsOnTheRun View Post
The package builds out to com.palm.app.browser_1.0.0_all - which would replace the existing com.palm.app.browser now at 3.0.5.

I took the plunge! I'm in! So far so good...

html5test.com result = 203 and 6 bonus points
acid3 result = 94/100

Can someone run the tests before Isis please and post results?
Stock browser on 3.0.5
html5test.com result = 203 and 6 bonus points. Same.
acid3 result = 94/100. Same.

Thanked By: SmartKidsOnTheRun
Old 02/14/2012, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Can someone please provide step by step instructions on where from and how to get this browser on a TouchPad. Thanks.

PS: Why can't HP just make it simple and provide an IPK for this or better yet, make it available in the App Catalog?

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartKidsOnTheRun View Post
Yes - build and install through the SDK.
This is the first thing I'll do after work today . I've been waiting for a new browser for months.
Old 02/14/2012, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

in for more test results and instructions

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
65fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
in for more test results and instructions
Is it possible for me to post the IPK on here or will it infringe on something?

update: is anyone else having issues with ESPN3 after updating? i cant seem to view any videos from there but then again the internet here at work can be flaky at times.
Old 02/14/2012, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18DelSolT View Post
Is it possible for me to post the IPK on here or will it infringe on something?
im not 100% sure, but being open source, i dont see why it would infringe

but, that being said, is it actually a lot better? someone already posted the stock browser tested the same which is a let down

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
Old 02/14/2012, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
im not 100% sure, but being open source, i dont see why it would infringe

but, that being said, is it actually a lot better? someone already posted the stock browser tested the same which is a let down
Ya thats what i thought. Open Source, how would I but i want to make sure lol
Old 02/14/2012, 09:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'd love to test it on my Pre 3, but have forgotten how to build an IPK package, plus my current computer doesn't have the webOS SDK, which I installed in another, out of curiosity, months ago.

But I've downloaded those sources, expecting to see at least two big binary monsters, for those new QtWebKit and JavaScriptCore things. But they are not there, it's just a honest Enyo app - a collection of JavaScripts.

So QtWebKit and JavaScriptCore already exist on my device? Did then land through that "trojan horse" Bing Maps app update?
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by nyrath likes this.
Thanked By: nyrath
Old 02/14/2012, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18DelSolT View Post
Ya thats what i thought. Open Source, how would I but i want to make sure lol
Being that Isis is an open source project and the updated broser that people are using is compiled and built frmo the source code on git hub its fine to repost it (at least to my understanding)

so if someone could do that or show me how to properly do it in the sdk that would be great
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 09:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

If anyone out there is kind enough to build the IPK package... Could he be so kind to provide a form or recovering the original browser app? Or having both at the same time?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 09:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just an important note for those that come across this post, and are too lazy to read the entire thread, some important points, quoted from Rod Whitby. Sledge007

Quote:
This is not an update package for current devices, it is an open source code-base designed for Open webOS 1.0 - it is up to the community to do the work to compile all aspects of it (not just the enyo front-end) to be able to use it on current devices.

That is correct. Just replacing the enyo front-end is like changing the paint job on a Mini and expecting it to now perform like a Ferrari. You need to change the motor (Qtwebkit) and transmission (BrowserServer/Adapter) and chassis (the other assorted support structure bits) too before you get something that will perform differently.

If you go around installing random ipkgs from forum posts, you should expect doctor visits.

Here it is,

Let me know, if need be i will remove the file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip com.palm.app.browser_1.0.0_all.ipk.zip (743.4 KB, 829 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by sledge007; 02/15/2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02/14/2012, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
If anyone out there is kind enough to build the IPK package... Could he be so kind to provide a form or recovering the original browser app? Or having both at the same time?
It's pretty simple to have side by side functionality just by altering the appinfo.json. But before people fall all over each other trying to get this you may want to realize there seems to be very little code difference between the existing browser code in 3.05 and the repository. There may be (and I would assume there are) differences in the Browse Server/Adapter/Qtwebkit and other assorted support structure bits, but the enyo front end code alone will still use the in place binaries from 3.05. Which will result in little to no difference.
bi0tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SmartKidsOnTheRun, jcmarcos and g7 like this.
Thanked by Garfonso, jcmarcos, T-Pad
Old 02/14/2012, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0tech View Post
It's pretty simple to have side by side functionality just by altering the appinfo.json. But before people fall all over each other trying to get this you may want to realize there seems to be very little code difference between the existing browser code in 3.05 and the repository. There may be (and I would assume there are) differences in the Browse Server/Adapter/Qtwebkit and other assorted support structure bits, but the enyo front end code alone will still use the in place binaries from 3.05. Which will result in little to no difference.
sad

guess its back to still wishing for a fast browser

Old 02/14/2012, 10:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
sad

guess its back to still wishing for a fast browser
Don't misunderstand me either, if you have the time to compile all the new bits and test them out, kudos. I just don't want people to assume that running a simple package generate on the front end code will part the heavens and bestow a totally different browsing experience.
bi0tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0