webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis browser for current webOS?
Isis browser for current webOS?
Like Tree28Likes

Old 02/15/2012, 06:51 PM   #81 (permalink)
Developer

I just had a call with Donald Kirker (WebOS Internals WebKit guy) and the HP WebKit team to discuss a strategy for a community technology preview release of these items installable from Preware for the TouchPad.

No timeline at the moment, but there does not seem to be any significant roadblocks, just a fair amount of work to achieve it.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rockbeast and geekpeter like this.
Old 02/15/2012, 06:56 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
I just had a call with Donald Kirker (WebOS Internals WebKit guy) and the HP WebKit team to discuss a strategy for a community technology preview release of these items installable from Preware for the TouchPad.

No timeline at the moment, but there does not seem to be any significant roadblocks, just a fair amount of work to achieve it.

-- Rod
So how difficult would it be to add text reflow to the browser? Is it technically feasible?
sonicmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 07:45 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, HP has not released any ipkg files for people to install (intentionally).

I think the community needs to be a lot more wary of installing random ipkg files from random forum posts ... haven't we learnt anything from many years of viruses on Windows computers?

-- Rod
just over excitement and impatience combined to produce mass hysteria
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 07:48 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
if the resulting product is as good as most expect then i for one am happy to wait, but im guessing you will all still get countless "whens it coming" posts until that eventual release day arrives.

We all need more patience but i can understand some feeling like kids at christmas waiting for the new super toy.
Old 02/15/2012, 07:52 PM   #85 (permalink)

Not to be a homebrew hater or anything, because I'm not, but what would about submitting a build for the Official App Catalog? I mean, why not? It's open-source, it doesn't modify any system stuff, and it could just be an alternative browser. Like Advanced Browser is, but just a semi-stock-ish browser that can be downloaded. If it is packaged by itself, it wouldn't necessarily have to replace the stock one either; that could give users an easy way of switching back and forth.

P.S. If this were to happen, a nice additional feature would be the ability to change the user agent string (for Hulu and stuff) so that we wouldn't have to break the app catalog for Hulu.
Old 02/15/2012, 07:59 PM   #86 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlover10 View Post
Not to be a homebrew hater or anything, because I'm not, but what would about submitting a build for the Official App Catalog? I mean, why not? It's open-source, it doesn't modify any system stuff
Actually it will install a whole lot of "system" stuff for it to work. QtWebKit is not an enyo app, it's C/C++ code.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 08:19 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually it will install a whole lot of "system" stuff for it to work. QtWebKit is not an enyo app, it's C/C++ code.

-- Rod
will other parts of webOS turn C/asm/etc for the superior speed increases much like the touchpads topbar was or will a giant chunk of webOS remain web oriented.

does it matter either way now the whole thing is opensource.
Old 02/15/2012, 08:34 PM   #88 (permalink)

OK I am donating to webos internals. Read on the front page that it will take a few weeks of work and that sounds to me like late nights and/or early mornings.

If it will attract more donations to set up a separate kitty for Isis on TouchPad webOS 3.05 and make its own thread for this, then lets do it.

Edit:
Started a separate thread here for donations. Let 'er rip!
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3298677

Edit 2: If someone has connections to webosnation and would like to advocate for a community openwebos supporter badge for those who donate, go for it!

Last edited by bluenote; 02/16/2012 at 07:59 AM.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by netwrkr9 and NickVTPre like this.
Old 02/15/2012, 08:57 PM   #89 (permalink)

I've gone into Post #17 and highlighted the points that were stressed later by Rod Whitby, for the benefit of those that are too lazy to read further into the thread, or assume that this is something it isn't.
Old 02/15/2012, 09:41 PM   #90 (permalink)

sorry for any confusion caused by the post. Was just trying to help the people out who didn't/couldn't package it themselves. Feels like I did more bad then I did good. Once again sorry.
B18DelSolT is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 02/15/2012, 09:57 PM   #91 (permalink)

I don't think there was any malicious intent involved, just wanted to reiterate Rod's warnings so that people aren't jumping in, without looking first.
Thanked By: B18DelSolT
Old 02/16/2012, 02:33 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
Probably wishful thinking. Don't see anything that indicates otherwise.
So my reading between the lines qualities aren't so bad after all. No wishfull thinking, but more and more becoming something real
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2012, 04:57 AM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18DelSolT View Post
sorry for any confusion caused by the post. Was just trying to help the people out who didn't/couldn't package it themselves. Feels like I did more bad then I did good. Once again sorry.
nothing bad at all tbh, if you look at many posts, regardless of how detailed you made it, many would be in an excited rush and would only pick out the words "new" "browser" "isis" "ipk" and skip everything else anyways, you only have to look back at a lot of the detailed posts on the custom/beta/alpha kernel posts regarding people wanting to overclock their hardware to oblivion to see that in action.
Liked by B18DelSolT likes this.
Thanked By: B18DelSolT
Old 02/16/2012, 06:34 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
Maybe this is obvious to others, but how can folks help to make this happen?
NickVTPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2012, 07:14 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
will this work be wasted when we all convert to open webOS 1.0?

Chris
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2012, 08:47 AM   #96 (permalink)

So I'm curious, how difficult will it be to add text reflow to Isis? Maybe a developer could chime in?
sonicmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2012, 08:53 AM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
In theory, could QtWebKit replace existing old WebKit on legacy devices, or there is to many compatibility issues involved? And, if it is possible, would it bring some significant performance boost at all? Most system apps on webOS devices - like phone, contacts etc... are web apps, so they should get some performance boost by faster rendering engine?
Old 02/16/2012, 09:07 AM   #98 (permalink)

Will be patiently waiting to see what gets developed. Can't afford to try out bleeding edge software on my only phone.
Cyberpmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2012, 10:12 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
just over excitement and impatience combined to produce mass hysteria
...don't forget the effect of '...dogs and cats living together...'. That usually drives people over the edge...that and 'crossing the streams...that's bad...ok, important safety note!' [I will donate $5 to webos Internals work on the Isis Browser project if someone identifies the movie quote reference...this shouldn't take long. And, I encourage you to do the same!]

I know the 'danger' of post 17 was not intentional, it really is a combination of the willingness of folks here to experiment, and the excitement felt by the webOS totally faithful, or 'WT...' (maybe we should come up with another acronym. ?) that the open source roadmap is starting to open up, the fog is starting to lift, and the road is rising up to meet us!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 02/16/2012, 12:23 PM   #100 (permalink)

Really I wanted to like that, not thank it, but I don't think Tapatalk supports the Thanks add-on.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rockbeast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0