webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis browser for current webOS?
Isis browser for current webOS?
Like Tree28Likes

Old 02/15/2012, 06:39 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlover10 View Post
P.S. Cannot believe how much this thread blew up, did not expect that at all when I posted it :-O
Yeah, over 3000 views (okay, half of em are probably from me), but still... ya think people are interested in browser updates for webOS?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 06:49 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfie67 View Post
I can confirm this: user agent strings are the same before and after.

Greetings,
woolfie
The User Agent Exists in the BrowserServer piece. It can be changed there before compiling it.
theinnkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 06:59 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Yeah, over 3000 views (okay, half of em are probably from me), but still... ya think people are interested in browser updates for webOS?
the bulk of people think its a full entire new browser their downloadig from 1 of the early links tho instead of just the ui/frontend overhaul it currently is.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 07:42 AM   #64 (permalink)

"..Isis Project Launch Announcement

Posted on 14 Feb 2012

Today we are happy to announce the open source release of Isis Browser. Isis Browser is a core application of HP’s webOS platform written using the Enyo framework. As of today, it is a work in progress aiming to incorporate the latest open source technologies, such as QtWebKit and JavaScriptCore, into the webOS platform.

The source code of the Isis Browser stack, QtWebKit, and Qt 4.8 is available on GitHub where we will continue our development. Isis Browser is compatible with HP TouchPad devices running webOS 3.0.5.."

Sponsored by HP.

Copyright © 2012 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

http://isis-project.org/

Ferrari Chassis, Engine, Transmission & Paint-job?? :::

https://github.com/isis-project

(Is this poor "someone" mechanic enough to do the rebuild and then apply the paint??
If so.. 'Go for it!' - Zip-UnZip-Zip!)

~~~

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/15/2012 at 08:16 AM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 07:56 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
How 'bout any update to webOS apps! This new browser is just the beginning. I think we'll start seeing things relax a bit once the browser issues are sufficiently handled :-)
modelck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 09:25 AM   #66 (permalink)

I'm trying to venture in the app development realm. If I'll get anything from it I don't know but I'm going to give it a whirl.
B18DelSolT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 09:31 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18DelSolT View Post
I'm trying to venture in the app development realm. If I'll get anything from it I don't know but I'm going to give it a whirl.
Well.. I'd say if you can venture to sort this Isis realm out.. you'll get heaps out of it! Hero of many thousands!

https://github.com/isis-project

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 09:52 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
the bulk of people think its a full entire new browser their downloadig from 1 of the early links tho instead of just the ui/frontend overhaul it currently is.
was the link i posted the wrong browser? lol
Old 02/15/2012, 09:58 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
was the link i posted the wrong browser? lol
was the earlier ipk a full complete browser overhaul including the gutz/renderign engine etc? or just a simple frontend update, coz the bulk of people think they have a spangly new all singing all dancing total revamped engine/browser. Because thats what people think, that they will get a faster/better browser, hense the earlier posts doing benchmark tests only to find their the same before/after.
Liked by chaosdivine likes this.
Old 02/15/2012, 09:59 AM   #70 (permalink)

Did anybody get a "Cannot find file: /<path>/isis-project-qt4-763beb9/tools/qtestlib/updater/updater.pro" error while building qt4 like I did?
Doug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 10:11 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
was the earlier ipk a full complete browser overhaul including the gutz/renderign engine etc? or just a simple frontend update, coz the bulk of people think they have a spangly new all singing all dancing total revamped engine/browser. Because thats what people think, that they will get a faster/better browser, hense the earlier posts doing benchmark tests only to find their the same before/after.
I just took the files and used the SDK to compile them to an IPK, so in short probably not lol.
Old 02/15/2012, 10:15 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
I just took the files and used the SDK to compile them to an IPK, so in short probably not lol.
aye not saying its bad, just saying a lot arent reading all the posts that state its basically a frontend udpate and not a whole/complete faster update, so there wont be an almighty speed increase just yet, we need to wait a bit longer for that.
Liked by chaosdivine likes this.
Old 02/15/2012, 11:00 AM   #73 (permalink)
Rnp

Well... I dislike doctors; so, call me when gonna be ready to Pré³!!

Best Regards...
Old 02/15/2012, 12:06 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
aye not saying its bad, just saying a lot arent reading all the posts that state its basically a frontend udpate and not a whole/complete faster update, so there wont be an almighty speed increase just yet, we need to wait a bit longer for that.
ooo ok lol, I knew that part just saw a lot of people talking about the ipk so thought I had out the wrong thing on there. Thanks for the clarification
Old 02/15/2012, 01:17 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree, there needs to be a warning update posted to prevent the majority of the unsuspecting masses from giving this a go and then either, butchering the update somehow, or worse yet, saying negative things once they find out that nothing really big happened yet and their expectations weren't met.

Call it damage control or whatever you want (preemptive strike even) but expectation management needs to occur. I almost fell victim to it myself once I came across the ipk's. I was salivating...

This information should have been given out by HP officially in the release. "Unless you know what you're doing, don't expect these updates to appear in System Update or the App Catalog publicly yet - we'll roll them out collectively down the line in September 2012." You've been warned kind of thing. Nothing to see here, move along...

And they say the reputation of HP and webOS couldn't get much worse - wrong! This is going to be messy...

Last edited by chaosdivine; 02/15/2012 at 01:26 PM.
chaosdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 02/15/2012, 03:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdivine View Post
I agree, there needs to be a warning update posted to prevent the majority of the unsuspecting masses from giving this a go and then either, butchering the update somehow, or worse yet, saying negative things once they find out that nothing really big happened yet and their expectations weren't met.

Call it damage control or whatever you want (preemptive strike even) but expectation management needs to occur. I almost fell victim to it myself once I came across the ipk's. I was salivating...
I already did this in post #40 of this thread, and PM'd both people who had posted ineffective "paint-job-only" ipks to recommend to them that they set the appropriate expectations in their posts.

However, post #17 still sits there giving unsuspecting readers unfounded expectations, and the incentive to get themselves into a situation from which they are unable to recover.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by ashi, chaosdivine
Old 02/15/2012, 04:40 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
I already did this in post #40 of this thread, and PM'd both people who had posted ineffective "paint-job-only" ipks to recommend to them that they set the appropriate expectations in their posts.

However, post #17 still sits there giving unsuspecting readers unfounded expectations, and the incentive to get themselves into a situation from which they are unable to recover.

-- Rod
Can post number 17 be ...'doctored'... to reduce it's seductive powers?

17 is now a scarier number than 13...and don't even get me started about the word...'it'....[...he shiver's and says....'nee'...]

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 05:45 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
Hey Rod, ya I wasn't really pointing to you or other moderators to do their job, you guys rock and do an excellent job, but I was really taking a dig at HP. Their PR department really needs to hammer out that messing with things before official release can cause you grief...so hang tight for official releases/updates through normal channels.

Sorry, should have been more direct with my words. I can just see down the line a bit once more releases happen and suddenly everyone under the tree wants to update their OS. If you think this thread ballooned suddenly now, wait until more stuff is released...
chaosdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 06:21 PM   #79 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdivine View Post
Hey Rod, ya I wasn't really pointing to you or other moderators to do their job, you guys rock and do an excellent job, but I was really taking a dig at HP. Their PR department really needs to hammer out that messing with things before official release can cause you grief...so hang tight for official releases/updates through normal channels.
Well, HP has not released any ipkg files for people to install (intentionally).

I think the community needs to be a lot more wary of installing random ipkg files from random forum posts ... haven't we learnt anything from many years of viruses on Windows computers?

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 06:47 PM   #80 (permalink)

Another story on the release.

HP Releases Source Code for webOS Web Browser

HP Releases Source Code for webOS Web Browser
12:00 AM - February 15, 2012 by Kevin Parrish - source: HP
As scheduled, HP has released the next segment of its webOS source code roll out, this time releasing the platform's web browser.

Zoom
The official HP Palm blog reports that source code to the webOS web browser, Isis, has been released. The company also released the code of the browser's underlying QtWebKit-based HTML rendering engine. Potential developers can grab both from GitHub thanks to the open-source Apache license v2.0.

"QtWebKit will power the next generation of the platform, while Isis is the new webOS browser that is both fast and standards-compliant," reports HP's Jon Zilber. "And we're also announcing more details of the governance model for webOS, which we've designed to be community friendly."

The Open webOS governance model can be found here, and features an outline of seven key principles: webOS will be made available via the Apache license, it will use the contributor committal model, and it will be segmented into multiple projects. The Open webOS project website will host a wiki, a source code repository, a mailing list, and a bug tracking system. As seen with the latest release, GetHub or an equivalent tool will be used as the code repository while JIRA or an equivalent tool will be used to track issues.

"Our plan is to allow multiple committees to branch and merge code in the open to allow multiple development branches to occur at once," said project owner Sam Greenblatt.

These different branches include Enyo (a JavaScript framework), WebKit/Isis, the Linux Standard Kernel, and the webOS System Manager. "Each project has a Project Management Committee (PMC), comprised of committers elected within the project’s community to provide oversight for the project," he added. "The PMC also decides on the project’s release strategy and is responsible for releasing distributions into the community."

Over on the HP webOS Developer Blog, Greenblatt explains that QtWebKit was chosen to power "the next generation experience" because webOS requires a fast, standards-compliant web browser engine to provide the core of both the standalone browser and the rendering technology for the platform and its apps.

"We have been in the process of moving webOS to this port of WebKit for some time, with a goal of increasing web site compatibility and overall performance," he said. "Today we are ready to release the first part of this effort to the open source community—the Isis web browser."

The release of the source code for Isis is part of HP's overall big plan to roll out webOS to the community by September. The company began last month by releasing the Enyo JavaScript framework which was used to build the browser's user interface.
angelhawk4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0