webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis browser for current webOS?
Isis browser for current webOS?
Like Tree28Likes

Old 02/14/2012, 05:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles View Post
yes can someone upload the old browser lol ive replaced mine on my pre2..
You can get it from the webOS Doctor.

Note that the old browser files from existing devices are *NOT* open source, and posting such files here would be a copyright infringement and in violation of the forum rules.

Do not install random packages from forum posts without *FIRST* knowing how to revert them. If you do, and you damage your current webOS installation, you should use the webOS Doctor to put it back to factory condition.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by shrxwin likes this.
Thanked By: kulf
Old 02/14/2012, 06:02 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
T

"Someone" needs to do the work to compile and package *all* the items needed before this can be retrofitted to an existing TouchPad.

-- Rod
Be glad to start a donation thread to help the "someones" allocate time for this from their free time. Do you have a sense of how much time and how many people need to be involved to make this happen?

Thanks.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kulf
Old 02/14/2012, 06:06 PM   #43 (permalink)

Is it just wishful thinking or did I read that correctly between the lines, that that someone actually is the one posting about said someone and that he is already working on the complete package
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 06:23 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
You can get it from the webOS Doctor.

Note that the old browser files from existing devices are *NOT* open source, and posting such files here would be a copyright infringement and in violation of the forum rules.

Do not install random packages from forum posts without *FIRST* knowing how to revert them. If you do, and you damage your current webOS installation, you should use the webOS Doctor to put it back to factory condition.

-- Rod
hesitation is for the losers. anyways. lol i just got excited. Ill just take it off my pixi lol and put it on my pre2.
giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 06:26 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
Is it just wishful thinking or did I read that correctly between the lines, that that someone actually is the one posting about said someone and that he is already working on the complete package
Probably wishful thinking. Don't see anything that indicates otherwise.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 06:32 PM   #46 (permalink)

Isn't QTwebkit news of the day and not Isis?
Old 02/14/2012, 07:09 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post

Must squash icky roach
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 07:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
It is, but it's a harder concept to wrap your hands around than a new browser.
Old 02/14/2012, 07:42 PM   #49 (permalink)

If you accidentally replaced your stock Brower with this or just want to try it out real quick and revert back. Just install it then when done delete through prepare then search something through justype/universal and click google/enter your phone should reboot and have the original browser.
giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 07:46 PM   #50 (permalink)

What visual differences are present in this "new Enyo-colored paint-job?" (if any)
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 07:59 PM   #51 (permalink)

Can someone post the user-agent strings before and after installing the package?

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
codecrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 08:34 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
Can someone post the user-agent strings before and after installing the package?
after: Mozilla/5.0 (hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS/3.0.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) wOSBrowser/234.83 Safari/534.6 TouchPad/1.0

installed using preware.
Old 02/14/2012, 08:49 PM   #53 (permalink)

I'd also like to know if there are any visual changes. I'd also like to know if they fixed the one thing that always bugs me. The current stock 3.0.5 browser always handles html5 persistent toolbars really badly. It always, like on YouTube, it stays in one place when you scroll and then pops to the bottom of the screen. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about, like also on The Verge it does the same thing. Does Isis fix it?
Old 02/14/2012, 09:27 PM   #54 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlover10 View Post
I'd also like to know if there are any visual changes. I'd also like to know if they fixed the one thing that always bugs me. The current stock 3.0.5 browser always handles html5 persistent toolbars really badly. It always, like on YouTube, it stays in one place when you scroll and then pops to the bottom of the screen. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about, like also on The Verge it does the same thing. Does Isis fix it?
Until someone gets the -entire- project built, just installing the browser UI over the top of the old UI will not result in any changes, other than apparently the icons are slightly different.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 10:09 PM   #55 (permalink)

This seems like really exciting news. I don't know much about how to package and install Isis, but is it reasonable to think that the whole package would be available to download and install through Preware eventually? If so, that would be awesome. I am looking forward to getting a new browser!
fej180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 10:35 PM   #56 (permalink)

Eh. I can't build. Won't have a compy for 2 weeks. :-/ I'll wait for someone.
Old 02/14/2012, 10:46 PM   #57 (permalink)

BTW for those of you already running Isis, not sure if this has already been said, but does the Acid test even run properly? Like without the stupid svg downloads that always happen under the stock browser?

P.S. Cannot believe how much this thread blew up, did not expect that at all when I posted it :-O
Old 02/15/2012, 01:35 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
There is also that QT based browser in the precentral feed (last updated Feb 7th) but its not overly functional right now.
I can't believe this post from you passed unnoticed: Yes, this "new" Isis browser isn't more than a new, almost identical, face for the original browser engine underneath (us Mr. Whitby sharply explained). So we must wait for a complete Isis, or better say, a replacement of the original engine with this new magic called "QtWebKit+JavaScriptCore". It's up to HP, of course...

...of course not! Again, the homebre programmers got first where HP/Palm would follow: As MudShark22 pointed out, there's the A-Browser test from Daniel Roggen, which seems exactly like the idea HP picked up for Isis. I'ts been available since some weeks.

I've just tried, and it fits perfectly the author's description: It's a test to evaluate viability of a really new browser. It's not really usable, as it behaves like a desktop browser. Isis should, though.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 02:00 AM   #59 (permalink)

So will it be possible for developers to finally add text reflow to the browser? I have ICS installed purely for text reflow, and I would be so, *so* happy if the webOS browser got text reflow as well.
sonicmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 02:11 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Until someone gets the -entire- project built, just installing the browser UI over the top of the old UI will not result in any changes, other than apparently the icons are slightly different.
I can confirm this: user agent strings are the same before and after.

Greetings,
woolfie
woolfie67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0