webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis browser for current webOS?
Isis browser for current webOS?
Like Tree28Likes

Old 02/14/2012, 10:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0tech View Post
Don't misunderstand me either, if you have the time to compile all the new bits and test them out, kudos. I just don't want people to assume that running a simple package generate on the front end code will part the heavens and bestow a totally different browsing experience.
oh i got ya. ive been waiting for something to part the heavens

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
65fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 10:24 AM   #22 (permalink)

is there a way to tell between the two after its installed? I see no difference after installing the ipk posted here

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 10:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
It's pretty simple to have side by side functionality just by altering the appinfo.json.
I should have realized that myself. Thanks!

Quote:
the enyo front end code alone will still use the in place binaries from 3.05. Which will result in little to no difference.
Just as I expected. If Enyo is somehow present in my 2.2.4 Pre 3, can I expect those binaries to reside somewhere in it, just like in TouchPad's webOS 3? Can I peek somewhere with Internalz to check?

So people should be warned that this is NOT a new browser, it's a new face for the same browser, right?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 10:42 AM   #24 (permalink)

There is also that QT based browser in the precentral feed (last updated Feb 7th) but its not overly functional right now.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 02/14/2012, 10:51 AM   #25 (permalink)

Anyone tried this on a Pre+ yet?
NickVTPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 10:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

how can it be removed, doesnt work on pre 3
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 11:36 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
how can it be removed, doesnt work on pre 3
It can be removed via preware. Just go into your installed applications section to find it.

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
addiarmadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Kneelbeforezod likes this.
Old 02/14/2012, 12:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
It can be removed via preware. Just go into your installed applications section to find it.
Really, I tried searching for it and couldn't find it anywhere. wanted to make sure it installed correctly
B18DelSolT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 12:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18DelSolT View Post
Really, I tried searching for it and couldn't find it anywhere. wanted to make sure it installed correctly
Hmm might have something to do with me changing the json file to the web app prior to install.

How about going into manage device through quick install, do you see "Web" there?

Old 02/14/2012, 12:48 PM   #30 (permalink)

thanks for the help. at first i couldnt find it but its in preware in apps called web. it will then luna restart and restore to original
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 01:00 PM   #31 (permalink)

Still noticing the JavaScript bug where pages fail to show the bottom half and instead just show a gray area that cannot be scrolled past. Hopefully this can be fixed now since we all have access to the entirety of the code.
MekkelRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 01:04 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
Hmm might have something to do with me changing the json file to the web app prior to install.

How about going into manage device through quick install, do you see "Web" there?
NVM, Epic fail, lol was looking up browser instead. Thanks for the info
B18DelSolT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 01:35 PM   #33 (permalink)

Funny I had install issue with this app, went through the motions of install but not there. I recompiled the source more times I want to count but finally got it to install by removing the com.palm.app.browser folder from the /usr/palm/applications directory out of play. Renaming anything there did nothing.

Obviously Iris is now going to the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications directory.

Old 02/14/2012, 03:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
oh i got ya. ive been waiting for something to part the heavens
I'd like something to just part my hair....of course, to do that, I would need to grow more hair...and there lies the miracle.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ashi likes this.
Old 02/14/2012, 04:20 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
thanks for the help. at first i couldnt find it but its in preware in apps called web. it will then luna restart and restore to original
didn't restart luna and no original icon was present ...I got worried so I manually restarted luna and original is back as usual with bookmarks present ...whew! I hate doctor visits!!
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ManagementData likes this.
Old 02/14/2012, 05:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

I was messing around and overwrote my web browser on my Veer. I should have renamed isis in the json file but was too anxious. Does anybody know if the old browser is available anywhere?
Doug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 05:28 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug77 View Post
I was messing around and overwrote my web browser on my Veer. I should have renamed isis in the json file but was too anxious. Does anybody know if the old browser is available anywhere?
just go to developer mode, open webOSqi, search for installed "web" and uninstall it and reboot the phone (full boot, not luna) by holding power button and slide the ringer silence off/on three times in resaonably rapid succession ...it will reboot and browser should be there...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Doug77
Old 02/14/2012, 05:32 PM   #38 (permalink)

Someone should instal qtwebkit along with Isis on a touchpad and report. I have no idea where to even begin. What about the new Javascript core?
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 05:37 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug77 View Post
yes can someone upload the old browser lol ive replaced mine on my pre2..
giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2012, 05:42 PM   #40 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
PS: Why can't HP just make it simple and provide an IPK for this or better yet, make it available in the App Catalog?
This is not an update package for current devices, it is an open source code-base designed for Open webOS 1.0 - it is up to the community to do the work to compile all aspects of it (not just the enyo front-end) to be able to use it on current devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
Being that Isis is an open source project and the updated broser that people are using is compiled and built frmo the source code on git hub its fine to repost it (at least to my understanding)
That is correct.

Quote:
It's pretty simple to have side by side functionality just by altering the appinfo.json. But before people fall all over each other trying to get this you may want to realize there seems to be very little code difference between the existing browser code in 3.05 and the repository. There may be (and I would assume there are) differences in the Browse Server/Adapter/Qtwebkit and other assorted support structure bits, but the enyo front end code alone will still use the in place binaries from 3.05. Which will result in little to no difference.
Don't misunderstand me either, if you have the time to compile all the new bits and test them out, kudos. I just don't want people to assume that running a simple package generate on the front end code will part the heavens and bestow a totally different browsing experience.
That is correct. Just replacing the enyo front-end is like changing the paint job on a Mini and expecting it to now perform like a Ferrari. You need to change the motor (Qtwebkit) and transmission (BrowserServer/Adapter) and chassis (the other assorted support structure bits) too before you get something that will perform differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
didn't restart luna and no original icon was present ...I got worried so I manually restarted luna and original is back as usual with bookmarks present ...whew! I hate doctor visits!!
If you go around installing random ipkgs from forum posts, you should expect doctor visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
Someone should instal qtwebkit along with Isis on a touchpad and report. I have no idea where to even begin. What about the new Javascript core?
"Someone" needs to do the work to compile and package *all* the items needed before this can be retrofitted to an existing TouchPad.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by R_E, kevets, acco1st and 1 others like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0