webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > February Release / Roadmap
February Release / Roadmap

Old 02/07/2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Samís Blog: A progress update

Quote:
After catching our breath from the first of many open source releases of webOS, we needed to get back to work to deliver on our commitments for February.

A key part of those commitments, as we shared in our roadmap, are extensions to QT WebKit. We are very fortunate to have a great WebKit team, led by Leonid Zolotarev. You will see an enhanced QT WebKit, a first look at the webOS governance structure (which will based on Apache methodologies), as well a few additional surprises, in the February release.
Sooooo... what exactly does this all mean? Enhanced QT WebKit? Is Sam talking about a "release" of this, as a webOS system update? Or is this a "release" just in terms of setting the code free, as the next item on the open source agenda?

And what's with "Additional surprises!?" While he seems to be touting this as a positive, I've had my share of "webOS surprises" as of late... Was hoping that the move to open source and an open governance structure would leave us with a little less "surprises," and more "information." We're desperate for scraps, here!

So, what's up with February? Anyone have insights?

Last edited by jcerwinske; 02/08/2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Proper link to Sam's Blog
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2012, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
Sam’s Blog: A progress update

Sooooo... what exactly does this all mean? Enhanced QT WebKit? Is Sam talking about a "release" of this, as a webOS system update? Or is this a "release" just in terms of setting the code free, as the next item on the open source agenda?

And what's with "Additional surprises!?" While he seems to be touting this as a positive, I've had my share of "webOS surprises" as of late... Was hoping that the move to open source and an open governance structure would leave us with a little less "surprises," and more "information." We're desperate for scraps, here!

So, what's up with February? Anyone have insights?
webOS open source developer team roadmap that you can see below is on track for Feb.

For what I can understand, they are making the QTWebKit performance better:

What is a QTwebKIT? I just learned making a Google find:

The QtWebKit module provides a web browser engine as well as classes to render and interact with web content.

akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

My question is more about whether or not we're going to see an improved QT Webkit released to the touchpad in a system update in February, or if it's only the source code getting released in February, and that will take until Open webOS 1.0 in September to get the improvement actually running and released on our hardware.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0