webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webos is based on Ubuntu?
webos is based on Ubuntu?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 02/06/2012, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hmm, this is a really odd thing
but when my HP veer died, I used webos quick install to access the command prompt, and delete some files

but I was extremely surprised that when I was typing a command(can't remember which), it said something along the lines of "for help email: " and it was a ubuntu email!

Anyone know anything about this?
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure what you mean.
But webOS is based on Linux, just like Ubuntu, but webOS is not based on Ubuntu. hmmm...
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean.
But webOS is based on Linux, just like Ubuntu, but webOS is not based on Ubuntu. hmmm...
Existing webOS is based on OpenEmbedded (Main Page - Openembedded.org) which provides the linux kernel & such underneath the JavaScript/Luna/apps layers that handle interaction with the user...

edc
chejlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

What makes you think that? The kernel patches are mostly from Android, the only OpenEmbedded stuff I saw was ipkg...
filmor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was trying the shutdown command (or something like that) in the command prompt, and I saw something along the lines like "email bugs here" and it was an Ubuntu email
Old 02/07/2012, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

yeah just type shutdown --help in the commandline. It will show to report bugs the the upstart devel List of Ubuntu.

It's just packages used of Ubuntu (upstart process management daemon e.g.)

It' called contribution and is one of the nice things about open source software where other coders give code/binarys to the whole community:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Hat_contributions

http://www.suse.com/company/open-source/

and one of Ubuntus work is upstart which eg. also used im meamo, and chromeOS:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/Content/UbuntuContributions

So nothing to worry about

Last edited by gizmo21; 02/07/2012 at 05:35 PM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: the_tyrant
Old 02/07/2012, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
yeah just type shutdown --help in the commandline. It will show to report bugs the the upstart devel List of Ubuntu.

It's just packages used of Ubuntu (upstart process management daemon e.g.)

It' called contribution and is one of the nice things about open source software where other coders give code/binarys to the whole community:

Red Hat contributions - FedoraProject

Open Source Contributions | SUSE

and one of Ubuntus work is upstart which eg. also used im meamo, and chromeOS:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/Cont...uContributions

So nothing to worry about
thanks, that cleared things up
Old 02/08/2012, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
What makes you think that? The kernel patches are mostly from Android, the only OpenEmbedded stuff I saw was ipkg...
Um - I work for Palm/HP.... in the kernel group.

For OpenwebOS we're going to be using Android kernels, but we're not there yet....

edc
Old 02/08/2012, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Strange, I'm sure the roadmap said 'Standard Linux Kernel'.
Old 02/08/2012, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Strange, I'm sure the roadmap said 'Standard Linux Kernel'.
oops! Perhaps I said too much! If you think about it, the 'Standard Linux Kernel' that is available for devices that currently run webOS is Android....

Our plans (as I understand them anyway) is to separate webOS from the kernel so that we don't have to supply kernels for the 82,000 different devices that people may want to run webOS on. There would obvious need to be some higher level work done to support new or unique hardware devices, but for the majority of things (screen, kb, touch, phone, wifi...) we will have a layer that will isolate the higher level code (i.e. luna & apps) from the underlying hardware. If we do it right you might be able to run webOS on pretty much anything (insert your favorite OS here)...

In generic terms we call it a hardware abstraction layer, thought apparently someone (up North?) 'owns' the term HAL, so we need a new name.

I suppose I should actually read the stuff that gets published....

edc
Thanked By: Isandunk
Old 02/08/2012, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Actually, the history of webOS is much more interesting than you think. It was first developed at Bell Labs in 1965 by Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie, who at the time were Berkley radicals attempting to utilize their knowledge of computers and operating systems as a method of mitigating the impact of the rapidly escalating war in Vietnam. Initially, webOS was supposed to be the core kernel components of the UNIX operating system (multitasking, mobile communications, and kernel level graphical user interface). Unfortunately, it was doomed to failure because people regarded it as being simply to easy to use and way too intuitive. Because of this, the webOS components were completely pulled out of the original UNIX distribution because Thompson and Ritchie understood that what the world really needed was an extremely difficult to use OS which vastly superior in it's ugliness and mediocrity. Ironically, at this time, webOS was open source because Bell Lab's was owned by AT&T and was forced to distribute the source code to anyone who asked because of a Federal anti-trust lawsuit 10 years earlier which forced them to only be in communications and not computers. In 1984, when AT&T divested itself of any interest in Bell Labs, there was a ideological war within Bell Lab's at the time as to whether they should invest their time and effort in renewing development of the shelved webOS or close source the UNIX operating system and attempt to package it for sale. The decision was once again made that nobody cared about an elegant and intuitive mobile communications GUI, and the revenue stream was much more immediately apparent with selling UNIX. Because they could see results right away that were directly attributable to their micromanaging efforts, webOS was once again shelved. Fast forward to 2009, and the rest is history...
LizardWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by chejlava and JinbaIttai like this.
Thanked By: dkackman
Old 02/09/2012, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is not true.
MekkelRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2012, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

All:

I was just informed that I apparently had my head up my **** when I was blithering on about the origins of WebOS and OpenEmbedded.....

OE is just the build framework that we use. The actual kernel code is indeed from Android. I have no idea what branch or version, but to a newbie like me (I started here in Nov 2010) there were no obvious links to anything other than OE......

It is true that I work in the kernel group, but that doesn't mean that I know diddly about the kernel.

Also pointed out is that I should have been doing this all along:
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.

edc
Old 02/09/2012, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MekkelRichards View Post
This is not true.
No, took Multics/Unix history & search/replaced with WebOS,
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2012, 12:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
All:

I was just informed that I apparently had my head up my **** when I was blithering on about the origins of WebOS and OpenEmbedded.....

OE is just the build framework that we use. The actual kernel code is indeed from Android. I have no idea what branch or version, but to a newbie like me (I started here in Nov 2010) there were no obvious links to anything other than OE......
Thanks, I was starting to doubt my reading capabilities, as I actually looked at the kernel code
filmor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2012, 01:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
OpenEmbedded is just the build framework that we use. The actual kernel code is indeed from Android.
That's interesting, thankyou for clearing it up. So when the plan says "move to standard kernel", it means dropping that Android kernel, and go for a vanilla one? But then, you say the plan is having webOS on any kernel - Should I say operating system instead of kernel?

I mean, for sure there's no resources any longer to make your own devices, and thus you are forced to open webOS, for third parties to do so. But one thing is being a real operating system, that boots and dominates hardware, and another, being just a fancy user interface over another operating system. Which one is closer to the plan? Will you, some day, release a package that allows me to convert some boring phone in a webOS one?

Quote:
It is true that I work in the kernel group, but that doesn't mean that I know diddly about the kernel.
I hope you stay with us for a long time, as I don't know of any other HP/Palm employee with your profile present here. Who knows, perhaps you'll regret your decision, as you'll be bombarded with questions ;-) . On my part, they will be mainly technical. I'm the curiuos type, also working for IT, but on the regular, boring side. And got some love for those little computers with cellular radios that people call "phones".
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2012, 03:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
That's interesting, thankyou for clearing it up. So when the plan says "move to standard kernel", it means dropping that Android kernel, and go for a vanilla one? But then, you say the plan is having webOS on any kernel - Should I say operating system instead of kernel?
Actually, I am not in on those decisions, so a lot of what I've been typing is my {perhaps 'mis'} interpretation. Since we currently use a mostly-not-our-own kernel (we have added drivers for our unique hardware like the infamous a6 chip) what webOS really "is" is the LunaSysMgr and code above that. A kernel by itself is not particularly usable, but webOS is {my point of view} more like Windows running on top of DOS: when you bought an end-user license for Win95 it really came with DOS underneath - you just didn't have to deal with it....

Quote:
I mean, for sure there's no resources any longer to make your own devices, and thus you are forced to open webOS, for third parties to do so. But one thing is being a real operating system, that boots and dominates hardware, and another, being just a fancy user interface over another operating system. Which one is closer to the plan? Will you, some day, release a package that allows me to convert some boring phone in a webOS one?
That is one of our worker-bee hopes. It may not be attainable, but the ideal would be for us to release code that would allow anyone to run the webOS userland code on anything that provides sufficient resources for it to run.

(Yeah - that is sort of circular: what can run webOS? Something that can run webOS!)

Quote:
I hope you stay with us for a long time, as I don't know of any other HP/Palm employee with your profile present here. Who knows, perhaps you'll regret your decision, as you'll be bombarded with questions ;-) . On my part, they will be mainly technical. I'm the curiuos type, also working for IT, but on the regular, boring side. And got some love for those little computers with cellular radios that people call "phones".
There are a fair number of us who are planning on seeing where this ride will take us. Many of the folks who have already left had really good reasons: visa issues; a family to take care of; etc, etc so no one can blame any of them for finding a new employer.

I'll continue to post here as long as I don't get whacked with a rolled up newspaper for being BAD!
Unfortunately, I was too engrossed in getting tap2share to work when I started here a little over a year ago that I paid almost no attention to the user community. I must say that I am rather impressed with the amount of work and support that happens out there, and I enjoy adding my bits to the stream.

edc
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.
Old 02/10/2012, 03:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
Thanks, I was starting to doubt my reading capabilities, as I actually looked at the kernel code
Sorry about that... "a little learning....." plus a size 11.5 shoe in my mouth....

edc

edc
Old 02/10/2012, 04:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry about that... "a little learning....." plus a size 11.5 shoe in my mouth....

edc
It's all good. I hope HP is giving you a good dental plan

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
addiarmadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2012, 06:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
It's all good. I hope HP is giving you a good dental plan
Not as good as what Leo got........

edc

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0