webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webos is based on Ubuntu?
webos is based on Ubuntu?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 02/12/2012, 08:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Dental plan?

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
siobhanellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2012, 02:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
what webOS really "is" is the LunaSysMgr and code above that. We currently use a mostly-not-our-own kernel (we have added drivers for our unique hardware
Sure, thanks again for the information. What you say is what I expected - the "masterpiece" here is Luna. It seems only Windows Phone has its own kernel, the rest of the mobile systems using some kind of UNIX breed.

Quote:
like the infamous a6 chip
Oh, what's that?

Quote:
the ideal would be for us to release code that would allow anyone to run the webOS userland code on anything that provides sufficient resources for it to run.
Let's hope you have success with that, because it's interesting. I don't see any big player having interest in webOS, but the chance of having such a nice hobby OS is great in itself. Plus, it already works very well, not like other more experimantal systems, that demand too much attention even for basic tasks. That's the advantage of being born as a commercial product, with so many resources devoted to it. Let's see how much good can be done in this second, open source life.

Quote:
that is sort of circular: what can run webOS? Something that can run webOS!
Like that more vicious circle of "...has too few apps because it has too few users because it has too few apps...". Personaly, I dont' care.

Quote:
Many of the folks who have already left had really good reasons
And we should be grateful for their good work. Unlike some top end managers...

Quote:
I am rather impressed with the amount of work and support that happens out there, and I enjoy adding my bits to the stream.
webOS is a fun ride, let's enjoy without bothering with taking over the world! If it can be made to run on newer devices soon, then the ride is going to be also a long one.
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2012, 02:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Referring to my mention of "the infamous a6 chip":
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Oh, what's that?
I guess I though everyone knew about it since I've been dealing with it here since day one.

a6 is the internal name for a custom microcontroller based on a TI MSP430 micro. It lives in all recent phones (I believe from the original Pre) and does power management and charging control. In the "new" devices (Pre3, Veer, TS) is also has an added communication coil that allows Touch-to-Share to work.

I say "infamous" as it has been the root of a fair number of internal issues. It is a really good example of "engineering": trying to balance cost, performance and time in the "best" manner isn't usually easy.

edc
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.
chejlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2012, 03:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

You said you worked on Tap-to-share, so maybe you can answer a question or put a bug in the right person's ear. Can you shed any light on Veer's not having tap-to-share software?

I'm on Sprint so I can't have a tap-to-share phone (grumble whine moan) but I know there are plenty of AT&T Veer users grouchy that they can't tap-to-share on a Touchpad despite having the new comm coil in their phone.
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0