webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Is WebOS now Linux?
Is WebOS now Linux?
Like Tree11Likes

Old 02/08/2012, 04:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
I think you'll find it's UNIX-based. Linux is based on UNIX iirc.
Linux is a clone of Unix. They don't share any (kernel level) code, I don't believe.

Quote:
Linux is definitely an operating system
Linux is definitely not an operating system. Linux is a kernel, with no userland tools to speak of. Most (but not all) of the userland tools are build around GNU tools.
dbodner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2012, 06:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
Notice that you have two reboot options, device reboot and luna reboot for the two different layers.

This topic could easily fill volumes (and I tend to go on too long) so I'll stop here.
yeah i've never did understand what those were about.
Old 02/08/2012, 08:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Linux is a kernel and developers build GUI from a language of their choice to run on top of it. Android is the same amount of "Linux" that WebOS is.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2012, 05:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
Linux is a kernel and developers build GUI from a language of their choice to run on top of it. Android is the same amount of "Linux" that WebOS is.
Like Crunch and Munch: A kernal with a gooey exterior.
Old 02/16/2012, 10:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Ugh, the sooner they banhammer this adbot the better.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 12:09 AM   #26 (permalink)

The real question is what isn't Linux based, their are 50+ pc OSs, then there are about a dozen phone OSs. WebOS, Meamo, Meego, Moblin, Android, Bada.... thats all of the top of my head. All Linux kernals. Oh and both OS X and Linus are UNIX like, I think there was some confusion about it out there.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 01:15 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
The real question is what isn't Linux based?
Microsoft. Of all mobile operating systems that I know of out there, it's the only "real" one, as it's not based on someone else's kernel. Oh, and Symbian.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 02:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

iOS is not Linux based, but it is sort of unix-y. It's sort of OS X, which is sort of BSD on Mach. Or something like that.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 07:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

You guys will appreciate the humor of this comic.

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
e-gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by p41m3r likes this.
Old 02/23/2012, 12:24 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Microsoft. Of all mobile operating systems that I know of out there, it's the only "real" one, as it's not based on someone else's kernel. Oh, and Symbian.
BeOS, too, not that anyone uses that anymore. Also, the old PalmOS wasn't Linux based. These days, though, no one bothers to reinvent the wheel; they just don't need to.
jdlashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2012, 11:46 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
It was a rhetorical question but I like your response. I have a nokia 5230, good old s60v5. Loved that phone, but got old fast, so I ended up buying a Pre 2 (2 weeks ago.) New symbian (anna and belle) is nice. That was the two OSs i was choosing between when I was buying a phone, belle vs webos. I love os underdogs, they have character compared to IOS and Android. sorry for the rant
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 01:32 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
BeOS, too
Grrr.. AmigaOS! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
New symbian (anna and belle) is nice.
Sure, pity that nobody takes them seriously. Untill you are give them a try and say "damm, this little old system is so much better than I expected". I have a lot of respect (kind of desease, actually) for "rebel" operating systems, a rare breed nowadays. It's fun seeing how people only cares for the latest, while you can teach a lesson or two with your old system, that can do the same and more, only with more style

A lost battle, sadly.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0