webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Meg : HP webOS will have huge advantages over iOS and Android.
Meg : HP webOS will have huge advantages over iOS and Android.
Like Tree29Likes

Old 02/01/2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Meg Whitman: HP webOS will have huge advantages over iOS and Android.

In a recent interview made by CRN to HP CEO Meg Whitman she answered two questions about webOS, between others. I think she is talking about fragmentation and maybe things we donīt know yet. However if you are kuddo developer pls just help us to understand what might be those advantages besides no webOS fragmentation compared with iOS and Android. Thanks.

Competition in the mobile space is fierce. What's HP's message to the remaining people on the webOS team?

This has been a very rocky period for the former Palm team/webOS team that we built. And this was not a happy set of occurrences over the last six to eight months. So we have lost some people.

But one of the reasons I wanted to get back to that group with a plan forward is [that] people can then make an informed decision -- OK, I like this vision, or I don't. Between August and November, there was no plan. So if you're an employee, you’re sitting there going, 'Wow, this is hard.'

So now there is a clear vision of what we're trying to accomplish. There will be some people who will not love that vision, and then there are people who are very excited about this vision, and what it can mean for an alternative, open-source operating system that has some real strengths to it.

A number of high-profile webOS people have left for positions elsewhere; is this a concern?

I think people will sign on. Some are going to sign off, and that's OK, because we actually now have a way forward. What I said to all the employees is, 'We need each of you to decide whether this is something that gets you excited. Here’s the way forward.'

We're going to build a new business together. We're going to build another operating system that has huge advantages, in my view, over iOS, which is a closed system, [and] Android, which is incredibly fragmented and may ultimately be more closed with [Google's] acquisition of Motorola Mobility.

We're great partners with Microsoft and Intel. But the fact is, the world can probably use one more operating system. So we're going to support it in a very big way and I'm excited about it. You can give us a grade in about a year, and I think the proof will be in the pudding in about two or three.

Source: http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/chann...y5w**.ecappj03
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, sorli and Artichoke like this.
Old 02/01/2012, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

What a great quote, thanks. I like the forward-looking energy. I'm looking forward to that linux kernel in March and the redo of the core apps in July. Lets see what happens.

A lot of confusion right now over what MSFT is trying to do and it will take awhile to sort out. WebOS still has a chance.

Google now has that one profile privacy policy and that will deter people from buying their gadgets which force you to stay signed into their google apps if you want access to the market (and thereby entitles Google to aggregate all your information into a profile that will entice advertisers to pay Google more for information about YOU).
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2012, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the post. I like webOS for pretty much exactly what Ms. Whitman says...

It's not the closed, corporate atmosphere that Apple is (no fear of jailbreaking ).

It is also not the fragmented, anything-goes, wild-wild-west of Android (with interfaces and features that vary from device to device and carrier to carrier).

It's a comfortable middle-ground, with a stable core and feature set that is open to outside improvements.

Isn't "homebrew" so much cooler than "jailbreak" !

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by acco1st likes this.
Old 02/01/2012, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would think that departures by some of the webOS team would have to be expected at all levels, given the uncertainty surrounding webOS. Once a decision to leave is made it will take some time to land another job and leave HP. I don't think departures today necessarily reflect the current corporate climate within the webOS team, but rather are a lagging indicator.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2012, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

You are welcome guys.

I was wondering what phase of the webOS roadmap will be the most important for an apps developer ? Thanks.

akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 02:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
cgk

Talk is cheap and is often completely divorced from reality (look at how delusional the guys at RIM are) - I'd believe this more, if HP were turning out any sort of hardware. If Whitman thinks this is such a red-hot opportunity, she could demonstrate that to the world by turning out a device - that HP does not says far more to the world that some statements about how strong the OS is.

Last edited by CGK; 02/02/2012 at 02:50 AM.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sinsin07 likes this.
Old 02/02/2012, 03:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Talk is cheap and is often completely divorced from reality (look at how delusional the guys at RIM are) - I'd believe this more, if HP were turning out any sort of hardware. If Whitman thinks this is such a red-hot opportunity, she could demonstrate that to the world by turning out a device - that HP does not says far more to the world that some statements about how strong the OS is.
Uh, you forget Apothe******* burned *12 BILLION* of their reserve cash on Autonomy which, they didn't need, AND he way over paid. They don't have any money for new hardware right now.

It's like if you wanted to spend $10k to turn your spare bedroom into a home theater and your wife spent $8k on kitchen appliances when your "old" appliances were just fine. Now you don't have the cash for a home theater (or at least a worthwhile one).

That is the boat they are in and why Apothe******* is out of a job.
cobrakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tsangh likes this.
Old 02/02/2012, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think it says "We're really not ready at this time, we've got some work to do."
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by spud101 and cujoq37 like this.
Old 02/02/2012, 03:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
Uh, you forget Apothe******* burned *12 BILLION* of their reserve cash on Autonomy which, they didn't need, AND he way over paid. They don't have any money for new hardware right now.

It's like if you wanted to spend $10k to turn your spare bedroom into a home theater and your wife spent $8k on kitchen appliances when your "old" appliances were just fine. Now you don't have the cash for a home theater (or at least a worthwhile one).

That is the boat they are in and why Apothe******* is out of a job.
I don't forget any of that, HP is financial sound and could raise the finance if wished to in a variety of ways - so why don't they?

The only logical answer is that they don't think the reward is equal to the risk.

So why is anyone else going to jump in?
Old 02/02/2012, 04:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't think fragmentation is hurting Android much considering their dominant market share. Additionally doesn't Android 4 basically end this by requiring all phones to have that holo interface? The other thing is i've never heard the term fragmentation come out of the lips of a nontech oriented person. Like my mom bought an android phone and she has no clue what fragmentation is. I think it's not that big of a deal big picturewise.
Old 02/02/2012, 05:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
cgk

Even if we accept that fragmentation exists, the sales evidence suggests that nobody (at the consumer level) cares. Moreover, anyone expecting an (middle to high end) OEM to put out a webOS device without trying to skin it or make the UI unique to them is frankly dreaming.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Old 02/02/2012, 07:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

read the slides this morn. She said hp is supporting webos in a very big way and we can grade her in a year. Earlier she had said at least one device in 2013 so 2012 looks to be setting the table.
very nice news today that enyo available now for all the phones, showing hp making an effort to unify entire platform even the older devices.
this is a wait and see but i like what i hear so far.

josh marinacci tweet yesterday:
Just finished webOS meeting. I'm feeling better about webOS's future than I have in 6 months.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 07:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Enyo available on all (older) devices is more of a webosinternals achievement, if I'm not mistaken. OK, the opensourcing of it allowed for it, so credits to HP as well
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 07:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Even if we accept that fragmentation exists
"IF", not... exists! Look; for example so many non-ARM devices you can find that cannot install many softwares for ARM cpu...

Best Regards...
Old 02/02/2012, 07:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
"IF", not... exists! Look; for example so many non-ARM devices you can find that cannot install many softwares for ARM cpu...

Best Regards...
OK it exists - what's the sales implication? none.
Old 02/02/2012, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

I will be pretty disappointed if we can't easily load webOS on the tablets HP is already going to be selling ANYWAY with Windows 8. In fact, especially given the rumblings on the speculative outrageous pricing of Win8 tablets due to MS OS licensing, they should offer an OS choice configuration option for tablets on their website sales channel. A ~$100-150 price savings on tablets, due to on an open WebOS software configuration over a Windows one, would be a great option to see.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Artichoke
Old 02/02/2012, 09:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
I will be pretty disappointed if we can't easily load webOS on the tablets HP is already going to be selling ANYWAY with Windows 8.
I thought that Win8 was designed to make that either very difficult or impossible on tablets (impossible in both a legal and technical sense)?
Old 02/02/2012, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Gotta love this CEO, she really does an excellent job with planning.

No longer is it "in the coming months" its "this month we will do this, this month we will do this"

Now its only to be seen whether the dev team for webOS can meet those goals.
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/02/2012, 10:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
I will be pretty disappointed if we can't easily load webOS on the tablets HP is already going to be selling ANYWAY with Windows 8. In fact, especially given the rumblings on the speculative outrageous pricing of Win8 tablets due to MS OS licensing, they should offer an OS choice configuration option for tablets on their website sales channel. A ~$100-150 price savings on tablets, due to on an open WebOS software configuration over a Windows one, would be a great option to see.
i agree with this immensely, it definitely made an impact with the rise of asus and their netbooks, heck companies are still selling ce powered netbooks and are far more capable than given credit. linux brought alot of companies mainstream in the manufactured pc business, hopefully webos can as well

everyone i let play with my touchpad loves it "wow its so easy to actually do more than one thing at a time" and i sit there and gripe, 'would be even better with a gesture area'
Old 02/02/2012, 10:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
I don't forget any of that, HP is financial sound and could raise the finance if wished to in a variety of ways........
Ok, I agreed with you up to this point. I don't believe HP is financially sound right now. They just spent over 80% of their cash reserves on the Autonomy deal that is going to cost them more to integrate into their company structure. They still only make razor thin profits from their core business (PC sales) that just got eclipsed by one product from Apple (a tablet, I might add). Has there been a rebound on their stock after investors voted down Apotheker's decisions by leaving? I don't think given these issues that someone could call them financially sound.

BTW, Microsoft and Intel are probably splitting the cost with them on Windows 8 hardware to get the stuff out the gate. Noticed that Meg spoke about x86 processors powering their tablets first, then ARM second. I believe Intel is trying to make a play for this market and supplementing HP for it. I don't believe HP has to ability/funds to make a new product on their own.

Making webOS open source and utilizing the standard Linux kernel, which opens up the door to x86 hardware, seems like a win win for HP. HP can produce a tablet with Windows 8 on it, get the money from Microsoft/Intel for it, yet offer us the choice to run webOS on it. They are still playing a risky game. I'm sure Microsoft will put some pressure on them to cut back on the level of support provided to webOS. The open source community will need to jump in and cover down on that lack of support.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0