webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Meg : HP webOS will have huge advantages over iOS and Android.
Meg : HP webOS will have huge advantages over iOS and Android.
Like Tree29Likes

Old 02/03/2012, 02:53 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
If we accept the argument that HP can't afford to make hardware, then how can they afford the really expensive stuff - the ecosystem and cloud aspects and marketing that is needed and will cost many billions? The OS is the cheap bit.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
hp can afford to make hardware. In 2012 they will make a several hundred times more computers, printers and servers then they ever made webos devices. I think at the moment HP can't afford to make products that are not profitable, like WebOS is.

Sort of like Cnote said above i think they are taking the safe route. Trying to get a foothold on the cheap. Open source means they don't have to pay for a ton of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicatapley View Post
You raise a great point. They haven't even really spent the money needed to make the Autonomy purchase work, Apple is outselling them in PCs if you count the iPad, and the board and investors are probably wary of any new "major projects" especially one that's failed once before.
I'm not positive but i think Autonomy is profitable already. That doesn't mean they won't have to invest in them but i think it means they'll won't be scared to do so.

I came across this article that basically says that Autonomy will quickly give HP higher profit margins and most of the business will be cloud related which only helps HP and their cloud strategy. They did sell Apple tons of servers for icloud too. So they may money on selling the data mining services, other cloud data management services and the hardware servers. HP and Autonomy
"Moving data analytics products from Autonomy and Vertica through HP’s powerful direct and indirect sales channels, as well as giving them an extra push with new professional services, should keep the combined operating income for Autonomy/Vertica growing at average rates above 20% for the next several years. And much of the profitable new business coming to Autonomy and Vertica is cloud-based, which can only help HP’s larger cloud strategy."
You know they'll love a department growing profits by 20% year after years.

My gut thinks that one way or another they are going move more towards the enterprise side of things then the compete with apple and dell etc on consumer products side.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 02/03/2012 at 02:59 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 03:03 PM   #62 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I do believe that Meg also said, in the same interview, that HP is going to be spending a lot more this year in R&D than they have in previous years, and getting back to being the company they were, but with all these newer offerings as well.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 03:41 PM   #63 (permalink)

Ahh man come on people now.

"Meg said this and Meg said that"

Rewind to one year ago.

"Leo said this and Leo saitd that"

I know people are looking for signs of life here but how many times are you going to be lead like sheep? Stop looking at every utterance form a CEO's mouth as if it has some deep meaning. Part of a CEO"s job is to be a paid schill.

People seem to have short memories. When good old Leo was spouting his catch phrases plenty of people around here were falling all over themselves.

Remember these diddies:
"Webos on every computer"
"It"s a marathon not a race"

There are others but the jist here is just what CGK said: TALK IS CHEAP. (and abundant)

Plenty of people here were quoting Leo word for word like he was the second coming.

Stop getting slapped in the face and get off these CEO's jock. Wait for delivery.

Last edited by sinsin07; 02/03/2012 at 05:04 PM.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 03:50 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned

and this is meg here... she ran ebay... can she run hp?
if she starts feeling the heat and need to make cuts... what's the first to go?
donm527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 05:36 PM   #65 (permalink)

for those clamoring for another phone, maybe it can be called the 'Suf' (Prefix, Suffix )
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 06:17 PM   #66 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

sinsin07,

Talking is the first part of delivering. Gotta talk it before you can do it. Besides, a mere comment on spending a lot more on R&D isn't really reading anything into it, just pointing it out in regards to someone else's comment about what they were spending money on at the moment.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 10:30 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
sinsin07,

Talking is the first part of delivering. Gotta talk it before you can do it. Besides, a mere comment on spending a lot more on R&D isn't really reading anything into it, just pointing it out in regards to someone else's comment about what they were spending money on at the moment.
No. Talking is just talk. It's alarming you didn't learn that from Leo.

There is another company that does not talk. They just deliver.

With the amount of people latching on to Whitman's bra strap, don't be surprised if we all get exposed to a major wardrobe malfunction. The thought of that is frightening.

Last edited by sinsin07; 02/03/2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02/04/2012, 12:12 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
With the amount of people latching on to Whitman's bra strap, don't be surprised if we all get exposed to a major wardrobe malfunction. The thought of that is frightening.
Good God man! First the fat dude in the pre doodle and now this. I'm scarred for life.
Old 02/04/2012, 10:11 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
and this is meg here... she ran ebay... can she run hp?
if she starts feeling the heat and need to make cuts... what's the first to go?
a lot has already gone.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2012, 11:20 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
OK it exists - what's the sales implication? none.
True no sales implications, but also don't look forward to any updates either.
Weaser999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2012, 11:26 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicatapley View Post
Just curious...what makes you think HP is rolling out a new "product line" of webOS? Her only quote that I ever read was "In the near term what I would imagine and this could change, in full disclosure is I would think tablets".

That's not very definitive and leaves her or a successor plenty of room for backtracking.

The best insight is probably the people who have posted in these forums who have actupally been in the meetings and reported HP is putting together a business plan for doing something with webOS. It's particularly good to hear the plan is good enough to get them excited about webOS's future again.

Besides that, Meg has indicated HP would likely produce a new webOS tablet, probably in 2013. Of course, that's a long way away and there is a lot to do between now and then and HP is a business, so if it doesn't look like a viable venture they would have the fiduciary responsibility to not pursue it. That said, from where we're at, with the best info we have now, HP does look to be doing something with webOS and indications are they intend to at least put out a new webOS tablet sometime in the future.

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2012, 12:08 PM   #72 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
True no sales implications, but also don't look forward to any updates either.
And??? If it doesn't impact sales, then it's irrelevant as an advantage for WebOS.

Real advantages for a platform are largely nothing to do with the OS, they are:

1) it's sold by the carrier you want to be on

2) it's sold at the right price point

3) It's pushed by the sales rep/it's got hero status

4) It's got a lot of marketing dollars behind it

and increasingly:

5) it's got a content eco-system built around it.

Last edited by CGK; 02/04/2012 at 12:18 PM.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2012, 02:41 PM   #73 (permalink)

I'll believe this when I see it. I've still got my shovel ready.

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
PreJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sinsin07 likes this.
Old 02/04/2012, 05:53 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
Besides that, Meg has indicated HP would likely produce a new webOS tablet, probably in 2013.
Do you know when and where Meg said that HP would "probably" make a webos table in 2013? My recollection is of her saying it probably won't be in 2012 and even possibly could in 2013 at the earliest but i don't recall her saying that it "probably" would be in 2013. My understanding is it's a possibility but far from a probability.
Old 02/04/2012, 07:03 PM   #75 (permalink)
cgk

'HP will make a webos tablet in 2013' is an article of faith in the same way 'true multitasking' was a while ago - it's used to ward off evil spirits and dark thoughts.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sinsin07 likes this.
Old 02/05/2012, 05:47 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
What a great quote, thanks. I like the forward-looking energy. I'm looking forward to that linux kernel in March and the redo of the core apps in July. Lets see what happens.
Linux Kernel in march? What does that mean? Havent webOS been Linux based all the time or am i missing something? Does that mean that i can put webOS on a computer in the future?
Old 02/05/2012, 06:15 AM   #77 (permalink)

Meg should just stop talking and take a que from Samsung, just follow another successful companies's roadmap.
Old 02/05/2012, 10:21 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
Do you know when and where Meg said that HP would "probably" make a webos table in 2013? My recollection is of her saying it probably won't be in 2012 and even possibly could in 2013 at the earliest but i don't recall her saying that it "probably" would be in 2013. My understanding is it's a possibility but far from a probability.
Here's a couple links from this past December reporting what was said regarding new hardware:

Meg Whitman and Marc Andreessen on webOS: 'We will use webOS in new hardware... in tablets' | The Verge

Report: HP Plans 2013 WebOS Tablet While Killing TouchPad | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I suppose there is room for interpretation in these. Still, I'd say the indications are that a new tablet is the most likely product and 2013 the likely release year. Of course, that is all dependent on what the market looks like as that date approaches. To paraphrase what the investing professionals always say, forward looking statements are always subject to revision.

Gargoyle
Old 02/05/2012, 10:23 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
Linux Kernel in march? What does that mean? Havent webOS been Linux based all the time or am i missing something? Does that mean that i can put webOS on a computer in the future?
I'll leave it to those more well versed in the technical side of things to fill in the details. As I understand it webOS was based on linux, but had a good bit of customization. As part of the open sourcing of the OS, HP is changing its foundation to a standard linux kernel.

Gargoyle
Old 02/05/2012, 01:24 PM   #80 (permalink)
Banned

if i read the roadmap correctly... webOS fully open sourced by the end of September 2012 right? webos 1.0/beta?

there is so much development at the release of 1.0/beta at that point... i imagine another year. so if there is a new product... i'd say more like late 2013... might as well say 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
I suppose there is room for interpretation in these. Still, I'd say the indications are that a new tablet is the most likely product and 2013 the likely release year. Of course, that is all dependent on what the market looks like as that date approaches. To paraphrase what the investing professionals always say, forward looking statements are always subject to revision.

Gargoyle
donm527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0