webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Enyo open source could be good for all
Enyo open source could be good for all
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alan sh

Old 02/01/2012, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

With the release of Enyo v2 and the ability for it to run on multiple platforms, there is nothing to stop app developers targeting (say) IOS 5, making a packet and then just doing a quick port to WebOS for that extra 1,000,000 potential buyers.

I look forward to a flood of new apps.

alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5 likes this.
Old 02/01/2012, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Agreed. Open Sourcing Enyo is more a matter of keeping the existing WebOS devs producing WebOS-compatible apps, even if their primary market is iOS and/or Android.

It may also let those devs who have multi-platform apps consider concentrating on Enyo, which could increase the WebOS devs by some slight amount.
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

its out there among the masses as a handy option, at the very least its useful to aquire an audience wider than webOS while still supporting it.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm more excited about using Enyo to build just plain old webapps. I write java/Tomcat servlet based enterprise web applications for a living, and over the last couple of years iPads have weaseled their way into the building. The c-levels upstairs love em for viewing their data/reports...

But down here, our development team doesn't really want to get into iOS, or Android specific app development for our internal applications. We don't have the extra resources hanging around to dedicate real development to those platforms, not to mention that I think it's a bad strategy to tie your business intelligence, etc, into any particular closed platform technology you have little control of--that's why we're already writing webapps based on open-source technology in the first place.

Using Enyo build a crossplatform web/tablet UI -> ajax -> java servlet -> enterprise java services sounds like a huge winning combination from my perspective. It leverages a big swath of the skillset the team already has, lets us target all of the new tablet form factor devices with less development effort, and we remain grounded in open technology. This plays right into the hands of HP's push into providing software/enterprise services/solutions.

Last edited by jcerwinske; 02/02/2012 at 09:19 AM.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yep - that's the sort of thing I mean. One development platform - which has the right look & feel for a tablet - and many target environments.

WebOS just jumps on the bandwagon.
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

More like WebOS built the bandwagon so it gets to ride for free.
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
I'm more excited about using Enyo to build just plain old webapps. I write java/Tomcat servlet based enterprise web applications for a living, and over the last couple of years iPads have weaseled their way into the building. The c-levels upstairs love em for viewing their data/reports...

But down here, our development team doesn't really want to get into iOS, or Android specific app development for our internal applications. We don't have the extra resources hanging around to dedicate real development to those platforms, not to mention that I think it's a bad strategy to tie your business intelligence, etc, into any particular closed platform technology you have little control of--that's why we're already writing webapps based on open-source technology in the first place.

Using Enyo build a crossplatform web/tablet UI -> ajax -> java servlet -> enterprise java services sounds like a huge winning combination from my perspective. It leverages a big swath of the skillset the team already has, lets us target all of the new tablet form factor devices with less development effort, and we remain grounded in open technology. This plays right into the hands of HP's push into providing software/enterprise services/solutions.
This is kind of the vein I ultimately expect HP to build its strategy around, a productivity/professional/business. It plays into HP's strengths, Palm's legacy and is something nobody is doing well right now. Done well, it could give HP a platform from which to sell value added services to their corporate clients and some others to consumers (ie snapfish, melodeo, etc.).

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just hope that the UI components by default end up prettier than the Enyo 1.0 ones.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 03:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just see in Webosnation news that some device without enyo can load it with Preware.

It will be possible to load enyo 2.0 on touchpad also? Or enyo 2.0 is for the other os (android/ios...)?
Dirty_Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2012, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Enyo is a multi-platform development tool created by HP/Palm that lets webOS developers write an app for webOS and then port it to the iPhone, iPad or Android devices... interesting views between platforms.

Interview with Inglorious Apps, a webOS to iOS developer switcher | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
donm527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2012, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
Enyo is a multi-platform development tool created by HP/Palm that lets webOS developers write an app for webOS and then port it to the iPhone, iPad or Android devices... interesting views between platforms.

Interview with Inglorious Apps, a webOS to iOS developer switcher | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Funny. i just read that a few minutes ago. What stood out to me is that it doesn't seem to be a matter of a few minutes of porting an app. He said "It took about 10 minutes to port over to iOS (and Android). It then took about 2 months to make everything work as intended." He also pointed out that the difference in interfaces meant that they had to do some different things. Like handling multitasking. He stated, "The major difference is in multi-tasking. in webOS, an app stays open forever as long as the 'card' is open. This removes the burden of multitasking from the developer. iOS, on the other hand, multi-tasks differently. So you as the developer have to put a little extra thought/effort into how your app should operate." So i think that would be a hurdle making an ios app a webos app. Not being a developer i don't know at all. But it seems logical.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0