webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open source and using a device with Sprint?
Open source and using a device with Sprint?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Derek Kessler

Old 01/31/2012, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

So lets say the open source completes and were able to install it on other devices. How would one go about making it work on Sprint since they will only activate their own devices? Would we active the phone oem, then install Open webOS so the internals are activated on Sprint...seems it will be a bit tricky to me.

Wishful thinking is Samsung or HTC picks up Open webOS and releases ready to go devices I guess
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2012, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sure something will be done with using meta doctors and stuff that will use code from the sprint pre to trick the system making it think its a pre-. But I am not a coder so I'm just guessing
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 03:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

i posed this question too but didn't get an answer. I'm curious still. I'd think it would be easy if it was installed on a working sprint phone but if carriers won't allow outside phones it seems like it would be hard to just develop outside hardware, put webos on it and run it on carriers.
Old 02/03/2012, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Considering that i've never gotten an answer to this question i'm beginning to think it is the giant pink elephant in the room that people are ignoring. I'm beginning to think that no carrier in the U.S. except maybe T-mobile is gonna allow some no name grass roots device on it's network. That means people can make all the plans they want to buy parts and build their own webos device but they won't have anywhere to run it unless the networks allow it. maybe. And at the moment it seems like that's not gonna be AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon.
Old 02/03/2012, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

The likely scenario will be unlocked gsm phones which means that att and t-mob will let them on their networks. I find it very unlikely that vzw or sprint will carry another webos phone or tablet ever.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk
rawdeadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
I'm sure something will be done with using meta doctors and stuff that will use code from the sprint pre to trick the system making it think its a pre-. But I am not a coder so I'm just guessing
The best you will get is a pre2, running open webos with the sprint cellular radio in it from an original sprint pre-. There isn't even such a thing as a sprint-ified pre3, it's more then just coding to make it happen.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk
rawdeadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2012, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

People install custom ROMS onto Android phones all the time and they work just fine. Activation is based on the hardware, not the software. All Sprint and Verizon phones have a hard-coded IMEI and MEID that indentifies the device. Now, if you don't know what you're doing or don't follow directions it is possible to overwrite that, but by and large that part isn't touched by installing a new OS.

Besides, when was the last time you activated a phone to the network from that phone? Betting never, because with the phone not activated it has no network access (sans 9-1-1). That's why you activate in the store with their computer, over the phone, or through the carrier website on your computer.
Liked by Typo Lad and Arthur Thornton like this.
Old 02/03/2012, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
The way that the hardware hacking is done between the Sprint Pre and the Pre 2, the comms (radio) board and antennae of the Sprint device are transplanted into the body of the Pre 2. As far as Sprint is concerned it is an original Pre. In fact, what's interfacing with Sprint's network is still the original Pre.
Old 02/03/2012, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah as long as you don't screw up the radio, that's exactly how it would work -- activate the phone with it's OEM software, and then install a new system on it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2012, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wonder which phone(s) the geniuses at webOS Internals already have their sights on for porting webOS onto? Hopefully its one Sprint!
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2012, 02:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm still on WebOS on Sprint and I'd love for a more current Sprint device to be flashable to WebOS but I figure their primary target is still GSM devices. It just addreses a much larger market for the effort involved.

And if/when they do target a CDMA device, expect it to be something on both Sprint & Verizon OR whatever happens to be the CDMA variant of their GSM port.

Heck, does anyone have a list of the Sprint devices that can be unlocked?
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0