webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Who wants to makes money with Open Source?
Who wants to makes money with Open Source?
Like Tree18Likes

Old 02/02/2012, 02:12 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
The top engineers have already left the building. On top of that, HP has to pay ARM or Qualcomm to get the documentations for Cortex A15 or the new Qualcomm Krait core in order to even start --- which HP ain't going to pay.
Well, I agree about the top engineers having left. My personal theory regarding why the distorted sound in our TP's still hasn't been fixed is that it's a hardware driver issue at it's root and the guys that understood that part of the subsystem best were let go.

Regarding the documentation though - I disagree. I think that major companies focused on manufacturing like HP routinely buy documentation to keep abreast on the intricacies of new chips and chipsets even when they think they aren't likely to use them.

Further, I don't believe OS webOS is going to remain barebones. A stripped down webOS is not going to have the potential to impact the market the way Meg has been talking about, and they would know this. Also, even before HP committed to open source webOS, work on adding new features had already been ongoing for some time and has continued. I fully expect that while the initial 1.0 release may be lacking some elements due to the time constraints involved, it will also introduce many new features as well, and that by this time next year we will have an updated version that has had the initial omissions replaced by newly written codes.

I for one have been very critical of the way HP has handled this whole mess, but over the last month they have shown all the signs of being seriously committed to doing this right, and I believe they are putting in the resources necessary to make sure its done right. I guess we'll find out who's right in about 8 months!
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 02:42 PM   #42 (permalink)

I guess we all will have different definitions of that. For me, doing it right will mean stable, 3.0.5 level performance, any stripped out features replaced with alternatives within 3 months of the initial release, completion of currently in-progress bug fixes and new features, alternate open source drivers provided for existing hardware that developers could use to guide their efforts to create drivers for new hardware, and a well thought out process developers can follow for porting the OS to run on other chipsets.

Give us that, and add in a revised Add Catalog that also delivers Android Apps and OpenMobile ACL to run them as well and I'll be a very happy camper.
Old 02/02/2012, 02:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

marced,

So, the Android sound driver has the exact same problem, because the webOS engineers don't know how to fix it?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 04:36 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
marced,

So, the Android sound driver has the exact same problem, because the webOS engineers don't know how to fix it?
I didn't realize the same problem was occurring in Android actually.I do remember getting a bit of "warbling" a couple times in Netflix that returned to normal after closing and reopening, and that's only twice in the maybe 3 months I've been using CM7, so maybe I haven't been using it enough to really experience it.
Old 02/02/2012, 04:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

yeah, it's logged in the CM7 bug list starting back in October, I've had it happen a couple times, and I hardly ever use CM
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0