Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
Like Tree18Likes
  1. #21  
    & charge for that one as well... We can go in circles all day long.. But the fact is, if someone wants to pay for a service, legal or not (even though its completely legal, I'm not gonna debate that), somone else will be there to charge for it. Working or not. Optimized or not.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  2. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    & charge for that one as well... We can go in circles all day long.. But the fact is, if someone wants to pay for a service, legal or not, so done else will be there to charge for it. Working or not. Optimized or not.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    There are way easier ways to make money --- like porting your enyo apps to the Android platform.
  3. #23  
    Guess what is the first thing webos geeks did with the open source codes?

    They port enyo apps to the Android platform. They ain't coming back.
    what does one have to do w the other?...?




    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  4. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    what does one have to do w the other?...?
    Warren Buffett said it best --- take the low hanging fruit. Always go after the easy money.
  5. #25  
    I think samab is misunderstanding the OP's original question perhaps because of the way it was worded. The OP is asking if he'd be able to get someone to install webOS on a particular phone. Samab is interpretting that to mean that the OP wants to pay someone to develop all the drivers and software required to make it work. But I don't believe the OP is asking that.

    Let's say after HP open sources webOS that some group of developers figure out a way to get it to run on "phone x". If the OP happens to have "phone x", he would want to pay someone to follow the steps necessary to install webOS on that phone. He's not paying for the development of the installation steps, just the execution.

    It would be similar to him paying someone to install Preware on his device. He's not asking someone to develop Preware for him. He just wants it installed after it was developed.

    OP, am I correct in my interpretation of your question?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
    richiemoe likes this.
  6. #26  
    As far as this goes, it might be unethical but you most certainly can charge for the service of installing webos. Make it a 'Donate' and I will send you the instructions gig.

    that being said, I'm not the only one that ended up with an Evo 3D when my pre bit the bullet. I have seen a vid of a proof of concept showing webos running on the 3D. I would 'Donate' for that.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    richiemoe likes this.
  7. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I think samab is misunderstanding the OP's original question perhaps because of the way it was worded. The OP is asking if he'd be able to get someone to install webOS on a particular phone. Samab is interpretting that to mean that the OP wants to pay someone to develop all the drivers and software required to make it work. But I don't believe the OP is asking that.

    Let's say after HP open sources webOS that some group of developers figure out a way to get it to run on "phone x". If the OP happens to have "phone x", he would want to pay someone to follow the steps necessary to install webOS on that phone. He's not paying for the development of the installation steps, just the execution.

    It would be similar to him paying someone to install Preware on his device. He's not asking someone to develop Preware for him. He just wants it installed after it was developed.

    OP, am I correct in my interpretation of your question?
    And the OP subsequently talked about the Galaxy Nexus which runs on an entirely different chipset, which HP executives themselves told their own employees that it is basically impossible to port webos to another chipset.

    Would webos boot up on another phone? Maybe. But you are going to have a device without any hardware acceleration and you are going to have a couple hours of battery life. Even Qualcomm is moving to a new cpu core this year.

    Sure there is still some nut trying to recreate beos --- 10 years after its death --- running on ancient x86 cpu (and just manage to get wifi with wpa a couple of years ago).
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    And the OP subsequently talked about the Galaxy Nexus which runs on an entirely different chipset, which HP executives themselves told their own employees that it is basically impossible to port webos to another chipset.
    Dude, he's not asking whether it's technically possible to run webOS on a Galaxy Nexus. He's only asking that if it lands up being possible, whether someone else would perform the installation steps for him. That's it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  9. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Dude, he's not asking whether it's technically possible to run webOS on a Galaxy Nexus. He's only asking that if it lands up being possible, whether someone else would perform the installation steps for him. That's it.
    If it is technically not possible in the first place, then the whole question is moot.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    If it is technically not possible in the first place, then the whole question is moot.
    Well none the less. Didn't rwhitby post a thread with pictures of inductive charging on the Nexus? With that being said, it may be technically impossible but then why would he post a pic of that possibility IF a port would never happen...

    just my .02
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    If it is technically not possible in the first place, then the whole question is moot.
    "Impossible" is just another way of saying "haven't figured out how to do it yet". Just like how most folks in the 19th century believed that walking on the moon is "impossible". So no, the question is not moot.

    If members of the human race were smart enough to clone a sheep, propel ourselves past the speed of sound, and land a robot on Mars, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that some smart person out there is going to figure out how to get webOS on the Galaxy Nexus or some other smartphone.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 02/01/2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  12. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    "Impossible" is just another way of saying "haven't figured out how to do it yet". Just like how most folks in the 19th century believed that walking on the moon is "impossible". So no, the question is not moot.

    If members of the human race were smart enough to clone a sheep, propel ourselves past the speed of sound, and land a robot on Mars, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that some smart person out there is going to figure out how to get webOS on the Galaxy Nexus or some other smartphone.
    The problem is that geeks have ADD --- they get a new phone every 6 months. By the time you manage to boot it up, I am already on my 3rd phone.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    You are talking about webos with a qualcomm chipset and a Galaxy Nexus with a TI OMAP chipset. You can go and read the interviews from HP executives about the "potential" of licensing of webos to other handset manufacturers 3-4 months ago --- they said it right out that it's impossible because webos has a million tiny hardcoded things to make it run efficiently on a qualcomm chipset. It would take eons for HP to extend these hardcoded stuff to other chipsets --- and that's when HP still has all their engineers.
    Difficult? Yes. Tedious? Absolutely. Expensive? Certainly. But impossible? No.

    Also, I for one would not be the least bit surprised if making webOS compatible with other popular and emerging chipsets is already on HP's to do list as part of the open source effort. It makes perfect sense to do this, especially since the very process of open sourcing already involves doing major code audits and rewrites.
    richiemoe likes this.
  14. #34  
    well i was a webos supporter and i still like the os but after much thinking by the time they open source it, it will be too late. heck it's too late now tbh. unless rod & crew take it and provide updates "which i do not see happening" i just don't see what will come of it? if anything companies such as google, microsoft, htc ...etc will take some elements and put it in their products. you might even get a few xda people to port it but all in all webos is pretty much DOA now.
  15. #35  
    Difficult? Yes. Tedious? Absolutely. Expensive? Certainly. But impossible? No.

    Also, I for one would not be the least bit surprised if making webOS compatible with other popular and emerging chipsets is already on HP's to do list as part of the open source effort. It makes perfect sense to do this, especially since the very process of open sourcing already involves doing major code audits and rewrites.
    Wasn't the point of switching to the standard linux kernel part of the process to facilitate the use of webOS on devices other than the hardware it is currently running on?


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    richiemoe likes this.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicatapley View Post
    Why would anybody charge for this? This isn't like FrankenPre conversion where you permanently physically alter something. This is software installation and configuring, and whoever you would pay to do this certainly wouldn't be offering any sort of tech support for you after the fact.

    You'd just come here to the fine folks at Precentral (don't like the new name) or webOS internals for that. So why not go to them and do it yourself IF (and that's a big if) a stable, mostly-working version of opensource webOS can be fully installed on an Android phone?
    yeah i was thinking the same thing. Or more why would anyone pay for this. I'm sure someone may want to pay but it seems like most people would just install it themselves.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  17. #37  
    People make a lot of money running virus scanners and malware scanners on other people's computers.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    yeah i was thinking the same thing. Or more why would anyone pay for this. I'm sure someone may want to pay but it seems like most people would just install it themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    People make a lot of money running virus scanners and malware scanners on other people's computers.
    There are tons of non-technical people that will gladly pay techies to do stuff that they can't be bothered to figure out for themselves. Just last week a neighbor insisted on paying me $50 (and wanted to pay more but I said no) to retrieve her forgotten WiFi password and set up their computers to print to her new wireless printer. Nothing that she couldn't have done for herself in an hour or two using Google, but she'd rather just pay someone and not have to worry about it.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    And by the time you optimize the codes for that particular phone, Samsung would have released a newer phone.
    i'm not super worried about having the newest phone out there. but a phone with more features than my current Pre2 has would be nice. Also, if the phone wasn't just released, i might be able to get it for a little cheaper. I see what you mean though!
  20. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Difficult? Yes. Tedious? Absolutely. Expensive? Certainly. But impossible? No.

    Also, I for one would not be the least bit surprised if making webOS compatible with other popular and emerging chipsets is already on HP's to do list as part of the open source effort. It makes perfect sense to do this, especially since the very process of open sourcing already involves doing major code audits and rewrites.
    Except that it is most likely that "open webos 1.0" will be much less than webos 3.0. It is going to be very barebone.

    The top engineers have already left the building. On top of that, HP has to pay ARM or Qualcomm to get the documentations for Cortex A15 or the new Qualcomm Krait core in order to even start --- which HP ain't going to pay.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions