webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Web Browser - When is it going open source?
Web Browser - When is it going open source?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Toasters

Old 01/28/2012, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've looked at the road map, but am unsure at which point the web browser source will be released.

If any single app in the ecosystem could be enhanced, that is the app that would make the most difference to most users.
Toasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by zcpap likes this.
Thanked By: don_falcone
Old 01/28/2012, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

According to this http://www.webosnation.com/hp-s-open...-webos-roadmap looks like July. (Core apps)
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bluenote
Old 01/28/2012, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. What are USB extensions? Could HDMI figure in here somehow?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2012, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Would that even work? My friend with a Motorola Atrix has HDMI out, but it's a different cord altogether (than mini-USB).
Old 01/28/2012, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Would that even work? My friend with a Motorola Atrix has HDMI out, but it's a different cord altogether (than mini-USB).
There is a hardware solution now to hook up the TouchPad to a USB self powered hub and run things like keyboard, mouse, card reader from the USB hub. I successfully used it every day for a week to receive audio files from a card. I'm wondering if that could somehow extend to HDMI.
Old 01/28/2012, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Samsung HDMI HD Video cable Samsung ECC1HSABBEB/ ECC1HSABBEBSTD

(made for Samsung Instinct $19.95)

I guess it's possible, but whether or not the TouchPad is wired to allow it is another story.
Old 01/28/2012, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Samsung HDMI HD Video cable Samsung ECC1HSABBEB/ ECC1HSABBEBSTD

(made for Samsung Instinct $19.95)

I guess it's possible, but whether or not the TouchPad is wired to allow it is another story.
Rumor is that hardware is capable but software still needs to happen, that is why I asked my question.
Old 01/28/2012, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

@Bluenote; Sadly no. Though a generic linux kernel should give us access to drivers for Frankensteining the TP.

Now I just need some hardware documentation... ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2012, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

though with all matters WebOs it has a learning curve
I agree that it could be improved & will be one of the most scrutinized elements of WebOs
I have not upgraded mine from the stock browser, but would consider upgrading if a superior one was developed
I use my TP mainly for information surfing & shopping & find the present browser OK
would be nice to spiff up navigation (having a quick Top of page gesture & better means of dealing with pop-up lists)
I think the Open Source community could buff up the browser, but I suspect HP is already working on it
I suspect getting WebOs more polished for the TP is a priority for the HP team & the browser is a key function for tablets
Artichoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

While HP is continuing to work on a "major" WebKit upgrade for webOS, it seems to be that they are committing most of their resources at the moment to gearing up the Open Source stuff. Hopefully we won't have to wait for Open webOS to come out for our next TouchPad updates, but I doubt that there will be any massive upgrades to anything coming before then.

The browser stuff should come along with the qtWebKit stuff.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 08:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

I still never really understood why nobody bothered to try porting a better web browser to the tp. Seems like a lot of people don't like it, but nobody did anything about it.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2012, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Happening now with the help of webos internals:

http://www.webosnation.com/webos-int...urrent-devices

You can post in this thread if you are wish to join us in supporting and cheering the webos internals team in their late night efforts:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...s-whos-me.html
Old 02/15/2012, 10:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would expect that Isis will eventually become the Open Source browser for webOS.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, web browser

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0