webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Orchard/0rchard Toughlet Tablet to sport webOs as option
Orchard/0rchard Toughlet Tablet to sport webOs as option

Old 01/26/2012, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

0RChard Toughlet Tablet Boasts Pixel Qi Display, Rugged Titanium Case, Multiple OS Options Including webOS | Netbooknews - Netbooks, Netbook Reviews, Smartbooks and more

While the demo unit was showing off Android (the presenter said they were working on supporting Android 4.0), the Toughlet can also be configured to run Windows 8 or, interestingly enough, HP webOS. Could the Toughlet be the first non-HP device to run webOS once it has been open-sourced? Who knows…

0RChard | Field Tablet

Orchard Inc Toughlet, Pixel Qi tablet for commercial ruggedized outdoor use - YouTube
Old 01/27/2012, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Expensive, but really cool tablet whether it's webOS or not. I can't really see anyone using webOS on it though for commercial applications, until more commercial applications are produced for the operating system. It would be a very narrow group of people, but I'm sure this startup is interested in an open sourced operating system like webOS so they don't have to pay for the license (assumed?), but can give their customers an alternative.

For who they're marketing it towards, though, I assume most of those companies aren't even in Android yet and are still using CE applications.

Very cool, nonetheless. I would love to have something like this for working out in the field at my job, water resistant and an outside readable screen with long battery life would be good for use on the boats I work on outside for writing down data.
FetusSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2012, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
cgk

I can't put my finger on it but that video doesn't look right to me - it looks like they have taken some generic android tablet (running a really old version) and screwed it into a bigger case...

Plus the website doesn't fit me with confidence, an off-the-shelf template riddled with spelling mistakes and no real detail.

Looks like a fishing trip to me.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2012, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Plus the website doesn't fit me with confidence, an off-the-shelf template riddled with spelling mistakes and no real detail.
Just because the website is off doesn't mean anything.

It does look like an extremely early prototype, something they may have just slapped together for CES. I wouldn't doubt if a lot of things change between now and if/whenever the thing is released.
FetusSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0