webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Finally Sept 2012 webOS 1.0 open source
Finally Sept 2012 webOS 1.0 open source
Like Tree35Likes

Old 01/25/2012, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Finally for Sept 2012 webOS 1.0 open source

From webosnation front pages:

http://www.webosnation.com/hp-s-open...-webos-roadmap

http://www.webosnation.com/hp-announ...en-sources-1-0

Last edited by akitayo; 02/08/2012 at 12:13 AM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, blackfireball5 and 2 others like this.
Thanked by GreenHex, Rnp
Old 01/25/2012, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

So will it be September before we can even begin to port webOS to phones? Or can we sneak in a few beta ports along the way?

This is exciting.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Seems like a really long time to do this. HP should have hired more people.
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

well a little longer that hoped, but still good news
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would rather them take time and get it right, than rush something out the door and mess up. Realize, every line of this code has to be reviewed to make sure its not infringing on someone else's intellectual property. If this were released with some Apple, or Google, IP in it, we could see any new device held up for, literally, years as they tie up things in court.

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treal likes this.
Thanked By: blackfireball5
Old 01/25/2012, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
Seems like a really long time to do this. HP should have hired more people.
Looks like a pretty aggressive schedule to me...
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, blackfireball5 and 3 others like this.
Old 01/25/2012, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

HP really thought this out and for once I'm very pleased with their work!
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, blackfireball5, k4ever and 2 others like this.
Old 01/25/2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

lol. Pleased with HP's' work? Really?
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Really looking forward to this, I'm just hoping there will be some form of on-screen keyboard because there are very few portrait sliders out there for us to port to.

Dave
Old 01/25/2012, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I imagine Open webOS 1.0 will be a unifying release, so all the devices'll get the same features. Aka the keyboard from the tablet version on phones so happy with this news.
Old 01/25/2012, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

This is a reasonable timeline and probably better thought out than I expected. Maybe I'm jaded about HP but I suspect WOSI played a large part in making this good.

There are 4 big points I took from this simple schedule:

1. This maintains the viability of the WebOS ecosystem in the short term. Releasing Enyo first in a way that lets apps be cross-compiled to other environments (cough Android) gives the devs a revenue stream from their existing apps and, since there's no need to learn a new way of coding, encourages the creation of new WebOS apps (even if the real profit comes from sales to Android users)

2. It leverages existing platforms that have quite a few developers (Qt & Linux). Using a standard linux kernel means it becomes easier to compile replacements as you don't have to add any WebOS-specific libraries. More importantly, we get to use all the open source drivers as well as any redistributable closed-source drivers that work on the platform. Qt has quite a few followers, particularly in the Moblin/Meego crowd that was orphaned by Nokia/Intel/MS, so this may convince them to port apps to WebOS.

3. Supports new hardware. Barring the release of Enyo, the release schedule appears to be working from the kernel up to the final complete OS. That means any touch-screen hardware that boots a Qt-enabled Linux can be tested for WebOS compatibility.

4. Official release is early enough (September) that if any of the smaller ODMs were planning on releasing a WebOS device that they could have it in a usable state for CES. Heck, they could probably have hardware ready for Christmas. (Assuming final validation/tweaks to the software September while the pre-qualified hardware is being assembled, finalized WebOS flashed & shipped from Asia in October, starts shipping to users mid/late November)
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, alangant, blackfireball5 and 7 others like this.
Thanked by k4ever, Rnp
Old 01/25/2012, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

The codes not sure if i can post it here?
74sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post

3. Supports new hardware. Barring the release of Enyo, the release schedule appears to be working from the kernel up to the final complete OS. That means any touch-screen hardware that boots a Qt-enabled Linux can be tested for WebOS compatibility.
Which is why my next phone in a month's time will be a Nokia N9. Uses a TI chipset like a Pre2, and is linux-based. I think it might be the perfect test mule for Open WebOS

I like the roadmap....as long as HP sticks to it. Gives devs from all walks a chance to play with Enyo, and hopefully there will be a plethora of apps available once September rolls around. What will be interesting is Windows 8 - as Metro uses html/css/js as its programming base. I wonder if HP releasing Enyo first on the eve of Windows 8 coming out was a calculated move to get Enyo apps into the Windows Store?
lavo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
News Contributor

January is almost ending, then 8 months for a final time frame for webOS 1.0 Open source is good. Just thinking in a quality output.

Did anyone play with PiratePig yet: http://enyojs.com/samples/piratepig/
Old 01/25/2012, 07:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

where does Mojo framework fit into this?

I guess I'm just wondering because eventually I would like to upgrade my Pre 2 with the latest and greatest open source OS... and it seems that Mojo is the way to go for the small screen. Plus I want my gesture area!

Although I guess with open source, anything can happen.

Also, what about HP Maps (or any of the built in apps)? Will that be open sourced?
zemoffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 07:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
where does Mojo framework fit into this?

I guess I'm just wondering because eventually I would like to upgrade my Pre 2 with the latest and greatest open source OS... and it seems that Mojo is the way to go for the small screen. Plus I want my gesture area!

Although I guess with open source, anything can happen.

Also, what about HP Maps (or any of the built in apps)? Will that be open sourced?
2.2.4 for the Pre 2 and the Pre 3 uses Enyo if I'm not mistaken, just not the Enyo that the TouchPad uses. I'm sure a version will be available in the future.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hey, I've been a launch day Sprint webOS convert and waited this long, so I'm pleased to see they actually released a roadmap as opposed to Ruby's old cryptic very soon pitch. I am excited at the fact the platform won't be device dependent per se, and would be shocked if people around here or xda, for example, don't start cranking out roms / ports for some awesome new phones. Sort of reversing the TP situation with duel booting android.

A boy can hope...
jmleese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 10:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

The codes not sure if i can post it here?
Thank you for your valuable post.
Liked by 74sickness likes this.
Old 01/25/2012, 11:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

I hope determining the "intended project governance" doesn't turn into some corporate/organizational/political roadblock to the plan.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Daughain
Old 01/25/2012, 11:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Very encouraging. Wonder what that bunch over at Cupertino think ?
jpash549 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0