Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1.    #1  
    Finally for Sept 2012 webOS 1.0 open source

From webosnation front pages:

http://www.webosnation.com/hp-s-open...-webos-roadmap

http://www.webosnation.com/hp-announ...en-sources-1-0

Last edited by akitayo; 02/08/2012 at 12:13 AM.
    So will it be September before we can even begin to port webOS to phones? Or can we sneak in a few beta ports along the way?

This is exciting.
    Seems like a really long time to do this. HP should have hired more people.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    well a little longer that hoped, but still good news
    I would rather them take time and get it right, than rush something out the door and mess up. Realize, every line of this code has to be reviewed to make sure its not infringing on someone else's intellectual property. If this were released with some Apple, or Google, IP in it, we could see any new device held up for, literally, years as they tie up things in court.

Gargoyle
    treal likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Seems like a really long time to do this. HP should have hired more people.
    Looks like a pretty aggressive schedule to me...
    HP really thought this out and for once I'm very pleased with their work!
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    lol. Pleased with HP's' work? Really?
    Really looking forward to this, I'm just hoping there will be some form of on-screen keyboard because there are very few portrait sliders out there for us to port to.

Dave
    Proud webOS supporter!
    My Palm history: Vx, Centro, Pre-, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3, Touchpad 32Gb & Panda Veer
    I imagine Open webOS 1.0 will be a unifying release, so all the devices'll get the same features. Aka the keyboard from the tablet version on phones so happy with this news.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    This is a reasonable timeline and probably better thought out than I expected. Maybe I'm jaded about HP but I suspect WOSI played a large part in making this good.

There are 4 big points I took from this simple schedule:

1. This maintains the viability of the WebOS ecosystem in the short term. Releasing Enyo first in a way that lets apps be cross-compiled to other environments (cough Android) gives the devs a revenue stream from their existing apps and, since there's no need to learn a new way of coding, encourages the creation of new WebOS apps (even if the real profit comes from sales to Android users)

2. It leverages existing platforms that have quite a few developers (Qt & Linux). Using a standard linux kernel means it becomes easier to compile replacements as you don't have to add any WebOS-specific libraries. More importantly, we get to use all the open source drivers as well as any redistributable closed-source drivers that work on the platform. Qt has quite a few followers, particularly in the Moblin/Meego crowd that was orphaned by Nokia/Intel/MS, so this may convince them to port apps to WebOS.

3. Supports new hardware. Barring the release of Enyo, the release schedule appears to be working from the kernel up to the final complete OS. That means any touch-screen hardware that boots a Qt-enabled Linux can be tested for WebOS compatibility.

4. Official release is early enough (September) that if any of the smaller ODMs were planning on releasing a WebOS device that they could have it in a usable state for CES. Heck, they could probably have hardware ready for Christmas. (Assuming final validation/tweaks to the software September while the pre-qualified hardware is being assembled, finalized WebOS flashed & shipped from Asia in October, starts shipping to users mid/late November)
    Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

The codes not sure if i can post it here?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post

3. Supports new hardware. Barring the release of Enyo, the release schedule appears to be working from the kernel up to the final complete OS. That means any touch-screen hardware that boots a Qt-enabled Linux can be tested for WebOS compatibility.
    Which is why my next phone in a month's time will be a Nokia N9. Uses a TI chipset like a Pre2, and is linux-based. I think it might be the perfect test mule for Open WebOS

I like the roadmap....as long as HP sticks to it. Gives devs from all walks a chance to play with Enyo, and hopefully there will be a plethora of apps available once September rolls around. What will be interesting is Windows 8 - as Metro uses html/css/jsjsjs $as$ $its$ $programming$ $base$. $I$ $wonder$ $if$ $HP$ $releasing$ $Enyo$ $first$ $on$ $the$ $eve$ $of$ $Windows$ $8$ $coming$ $out$ $was$ $a$ $calculated$ $move$ $to$ $get$ $Enyo$ $apps$ $into$ $the$ $Windows$ $Store$?
  14.    #14  
    January is almost ending, then 8 months for a final time frame for webOS 1.0 Open source is good. Just thinking in a quality output.

Did anyone play with PiratePig yet: http://enyojs.com/samples/piratepig/
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    where does Mojo framework fit into this?

I guess I'm just wondering because eventually I would like to upgrade my Pre 2 with the latest and greatest open source OS... and it seems that Mojo is the way to go for the small screen. Plus I want my gesture area!

Although I guess with open source, anything can happen.

Also, what about HP Maps (or any of the built in apps)? Will that be open sourced?
    Quote Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
    where does Mojo framework fit into this?

I guess I'm just wondering because eventually I would like to upgrade my Pre 2 with the latest and greatest open source OS... and it seems that Mojo is the way to go for the small screen. Plus I want my gesture area!

Although I guess with open source, anything can happen.

Also, what about HP Maps (or any of the built in apps)? Will that be open sourced?
    2.2.4 for the Pre 2 and the Pre 3 uses Enyo if I'm not mistaken, just not the Enyo that the TouchPad uses. I'm sure a version will be available in the future.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Hey, I've been a launch day Sprint webOS convert and waited this long, so I'm pleased to see they actually released a roadmap as opposed to Ruby's old cryptic very soon pitch. I am excited at the fact the platform won't be device dependent per se, and would be shocked if people around here or xda, for example, don't start cranking out roms / ports for some awesome new phones. Sort of reversing the TP situation with duel booting android.

A boy can hope...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

The codes not sure if i can post it here?
    Thank you for your valuable post.
    74sickness likes this.
    I hope determining the "intended project governance" doesn't turn into some corporate/organizational/political roadblock to the plan.
    Very encouraging. Wonder what that bunch over at Cupertino think ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast