webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Android Apps on webOS devices
Android Apps on webOS devices
View Poll Results: Do you want your webOS device to be able to use Android Apps?
No, I'm satisfied with the current selection and rate of development of webOS Apps 8 2.62%
Yes, absolutely - I need this, please make this happen! 232 76.07%
Maybe there might be some Android Apps I could use, but I'm not sure 65 21.31%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

  Reply
Like Tree13Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07/14/2012, 11:49 AM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
Probably the biggest news for webOS users to come out of this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas was the revelation that just before HP put a halt to webOS, a technology company named OpenMobile was engaged in talks with HP to implement a technology which would allow webOS devices to run Android Apps, and immediately eliminate the app selection shortage which many consider to be the single biggest obstacle to webOS growth. This technology, which was demonstrated live at CES, is in an advanced stage of development and only needs tweaks to be ready for deployment. It allows Android apps to run as a card completeley inside webOS - with this technology there is no need to install Android and dual boot.

Please take the time to respond to our poll and sign the petition to let both HP and OpenMobile see how many webOS users want this to happen, and how much it's worth to us.

Petition Link: We need Android Apps on webOS!
Signed!
lilcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2012, 04:45 PM   #62 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccx View Post
to get acl on webos, we need a license. but acl wont be sold to general public. so what happens when webos goes fully open source? i doubtful hp would pay for one after that happens
From an email reply someone received from OpenMobile marketing:

"Thank you so much for reaching out to OpenMobile. As per your email and questions below, yes, OpenMobile is actively working to support ACL for the webOS. Unfortunately, I do not, however, have specific dates regarding the release timeframe, although we hope to be able to announce these in the very near future. And yes, I believe there will be a consumer purchase and download option from the AppCatalog, which will be simple to download, install and run (it would not require any technical assistance!). It is my understanding that the consumer download version will not be expensive."

So they are planning on releases directly to consumers. If they rely on OEM's and licensing they will negate a huge revenue stream. I'm sure they are aware of all the webOS, BB, Bada, etc. users waiting for their product...
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HelmutsKohl
Old 07/14/2012, 08:57 PM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 665
i see. i think originally back when first talked about months ago they stated they would only sell to oem companies. there was several discussion about it back then and it seemed like it we basically had to rely on hp to get a license for it.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2012, 09:05 PM   #64 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
If you go to their site now they are building it up...

There is a section called ACL for Consumers.

They recently posted some data sheets too. (Check the bottom left of this page) OpenMobile's ACL (Application Compatibility Layer)™
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2012, 12:58 AM   #65 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,536
The ACL for Consumers page has linked for some time to a page called "tv.html" that hasn't been there.
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2012, 07:08 AM   #66 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
The ACL for Consumers page has linked for some time to a page called "tv.html" that hasn't been there.
It is there: ACL™ for Consumers - The Power to Choose.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2012, 05:59 AM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 91
Who here is an android user?! apps suck on android and because developers cant make any money they abandon apps all the time. even on android 4.0 they are getting better but still very small number who redesigned and have good apps. till now there is no twitter app compareable to any webos twitter apps and i've tried all of them, no new ics twitter app has notifications yet!!!! plz drop this argument it will only get us crappy non native apps which we dont want at all. All the awesome devs are on ios those are what we have to attract.
khaled93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2012, 07:15 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Buddy1969's Avatar
 
Posts: 546
As if that was different on iOS. A HUGE number of apps there, but only a few percent are really working well and worth getting.
It is always the same, everywhere. People mistake quantity for quality...
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by RumoredNow, Vistaus
Old 07/17/2012, 08:00 AM   #69 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
Who here is an android user?! apps suck on android and because developers cant make any money they abandon apps all the time. even on android 4.0 they are getting better but still very small number who redesigned and have good apps. till now there is no twitter app compareable to any webos twitter apps and i've tried all of them, no new ics twitter app has notifications yet!!!! plz drop this argument it will only get us crappy non native apps which we dont want at all. All the awesome devs are on ios those are what we have to attract.
Tweetcaster has push notifications. Don't mean to be rude, but if you really tried Twitter aps on Android you'd know.

But I agree that most of the apps are ****e and that the Twitter apps alone are 20x better on webOS.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 09:55 AM   #70 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
I'm pretty sure this community doesn't need blanket statements like this thrown around when webOS is struggling to attract developer talent and keep the developers it has left when most have already moved on.

Some might defend what boovish said as one person's opinion, but I call it immature and grossly misinformed. There's an enormous amount of great talent developing for other platforms simply because it gets them exponentially greater exposure, puts food on their table for them and their families, and has the retail support necessary to sustain their business now and in the future.

webOS can currently offer exactly none of this.

For those here saying "we need to concentrate on webOS apps", even in the most optimistic view, webOS simply doesn't generate the kind of money necessary to attract that kind of talent (much less keep the talent webOS used to have), and may never will if its percentage of market share remains a fraction of 1% like it is today. No companies pumping out popular titles will realistically invest time, money, and developer resources at a platform with a near-guaranteed loss--nor do they do charity work.

Look at it this way: If webOS paid the bills, a lot of high-profile webOS developers wouldn't have already left, pulled their apps, or simply stopped updating to concentrate on other platforms using Enyo and Phonegap. Now just a very small handful remain.

Embrace the selection and opportunity for webOS users the OpenMobile ACL could bring if it ever comes out. If it doesn't, webOS has a critical problem on its hands, Open webOS or not. The "app rot" will just continue in the App Catalog with not much to replace it.
So to rephrase you say, that webOS is dead anyway and we can only hope to get some android apps running on our legacy devices, so we can have some fun for a few more months...

Because the ACL won't help with any of the developer issues that you pointed out (which truly are there). It furthermore puts all remaining webOS developers into competition with the Andriod app world, i.e. even more of them will get into trouble.

So for (webOS) devs the ACL is a very bad thing... for the user this might help a bit in forgetting that there are only few devs that develop for webOS... but for the plattform it won't help much either... the apps won't get better because of the ACL. Most probably we will have to face compatibility issues, I suspect them to happen very regularly for everything apart from games. What about multitasking? Can you run multiple Android apps with ACL? What about memory overhead? Our webOS hardware isn't the most kicking anyway... some extra VMs won't do much good there, either.

If we really have to rely on Android apps to be made compatible through some ACL, webOS is doomed. ACL can be helpful at times and might help getting back some of the users that left webOS because they were lacking some certain app... but if Open webOS can't attract some developers on it's own that do native apps... what is left of webOS then? Why should anybody really go through the hassle to remove Android from his phone, try to get Open webOS onto it and then run the same Apps on it only working much worse because of the compability layer and memory overhead?

For the overall success of webOS the ACL won't help much...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 10:18 AM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 92
Yeah, do it.....

......but, are these APK-Programs Java Programs and this ACL App ist nothing but a Runtime, or are the Andriod-Apps Linux-Apps with a special Frontend similar to some Webos-Apps.

Achim
achimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 10:22 AM   #72 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Better question may be: which version are they porting? I mean, what Android apps will we be able to run? 2.2, 2.3, 4.0, 4.1, ... ?
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 11:28 AM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
So to rephrase you say, that webOS is dead anyway and we can only hope to get some android apps running on our legacy devices, so we can have some fun for a few more months...

Because the ACL won't help with any of the developer issues that you pointed out (which truly are there). It furthermore puts all remaining webOS developers into competition with the Andriod app world, i.e. even more of them will get into trouble.

So for (webOS) devs the ACL is a very bad thing... for the user this might help a bit in forgetting that there are only few devs that develop for webOS... but for the plattform it won't help much either... the apps won't get better because of the ACL. Most probably we will have to face compatibility issues, I suspect them to happen very regularly for everything apart from games. What about multitasking? Can you run multiple Android apps with ACL? What about memory overhead? Our webOS hardware isn't the most kicking anyway... some extra VMs won't do much good there, either.

If we really have to rely on Android apps to be made compatible through some ACL, webOS is doomed. ACL can be helpful at times and might help getting back some of the users that left webOS because they were lacking some certain app... but if Open webOS can't attract some developers on it's own that do native apps... what is left of webOS then? Why should anybody really go through the hassle to remove Android from his phone, try to get Open webOS onto it and then run the same Apps on it only working much worse because of the compability layer and memory overhead?

For the overall success of webOS the ACL won't help much...
i think the bulk of the popular/best webOS apps handle themselves amazingly well vs android equivalents, i think the idea of ACL on webOS isnt more to give us webOS users a better deal but to give currently non webOS users a decent reason to give webOS a try, its something new/better OS wise yet could still run what they know inside and out, apps wise as a start point for them.

That and us that already have webOS would simply fill app gaps with whats out there until a native enyo/webOS app came into being, which would no doubt "fit in" and work better.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 07/17/2012, 02:48 PM   #74 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Indeed, like WhatsApp or Opera Mobile for example. Although I don't have problems with the stock browser and Advanced Browser, but I know a lot of people have. And WhatsApp is something I'd like to use 'cause a lot of people I know also use it.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2012, 12:21 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Indeed, like WhatsApp or Opera Mobile for example. Although I don't have problems with the stock browser and Advanced Browser, but I know a lot of people have. And WhatsApp is something I'd like to use 'cause a lot of people I know also use it.
couldnt agree more with opera mobile and yeah advanced browser etc do a fantastic job, but their still totally reliant on the inhouse webkit which means pretty much any current set of browsers we have perform pretty much the same, its just their optional extras that set them apart.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 10:55 AM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
steven_farkas's Avatar
 
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Indeed, like WhatsApp or Opera Mobile for example. Although I don't have problems with the stock browser and Advanced Browser, but I know a lot of people have. And WhatsApp is som#ething I'd like to use 'cause a lot of people I know also use it.
i thought there was some work being done about a synergy plugin for whatsapp based on their api? would love it if it was still happening
__________________
Touchpad 4G, Pre3
steven_farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 03:46 PM   #77 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
couldnt agree more with opera mobile and yeah advanced browser etc do a fantastic job, but their still totally reliant on the inhouse webkit which means pretty much any current set of browsers we have perform pretty much the same, its just their optional extras that set them apart.
There is a QtWebKit browser up on the WON File Section, last I knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
i thought there was some work being done about a synergy plugin for whatsapp based on their api? would love it if it was still happening
I've got some proof of concept level code that I've done some work on, filmor_ the guy who's been updating the pidgin connectors, decided that WhatsApp was really a bad system to work with. And it is, but that won't stop me from giving it a shot, now that SynerGV is mostly ready, and hoping that it works for everyone at least as well as it did for the test people
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 07:23 AM   #78 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
"There is a QtWebKit browser up on the WON File Section, last I knew."

Which has no Flash support, looks crappy and is only usable with the bluetooth keyboard, so not really fit for on the go.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0