webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Android Apps on webOS devices
Android Apps on webOS devices
View Poll Results: Do you want your webOS device to be able to use Android Apps?
No, I'm satisfied with the current selection and rate of development of webOS Apps 8 2.62%
Yes, absolutely - I need this, please make this happen! 232 76.07%
Maybe there might be some Android Apps I could use, but I'm not sure 65 21.31%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

Old 01/25/2012, 02:12 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
(does anyone else even -make- a portrait slider?)
Blackberry Torch
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 04:41 AM   #42 (permalink)

Assuming this includes games on android as well, would like it myself, finally play all the other Angry Bird games without having to pay extra for un-updated versions on the TP. HD PvZ finally with survival mode instead of having to deal with the tiny iPod Touch version? Yes please.

Uh, that and I'm sure there are some other good android apps...won't lie I'm not overly familiar with stuff on android since I plan on getting an iPhone this year instead of any android one. But for tablets though, TP is my baby, and having access to more apps instead of the still sadly limited ones on the TP app store would be welcomed (as far as I'm concerned, if people aren't bothering to make apps now, why would they do so later anyways?). So yeah, if Netflix and Audible are on the android store, they'd be a welcomed addition too.

Last edited by Xezat; 01/26/2012 at 04:51 AM.
xezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 12:29 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezat View Post
would like it myself, finally play all the other Angry Bird games without having to pay extra for un-updated versions on the TP.
Some might think that you are asking for a huge programming effort, just to save you the couple of dollars that game costs for webOS. Don't count on that. In fact, having other system's apps means their programmers would benefit, instead of ours. If everybody is able to use Android apps in webOS, where's the benefit of programming webOS apps? It means, precisely, the sure death of our system, relegated to a simple gate to third party content.

What we should promote is native webOS apps. Sadly, there's little developers in our ecosystem, and sometimes we want apps that can only be done by their respective owners, which won't consider a webOS version, given the low sales expectations.

What's webOS left for? Lovely homebrew! And for the sake of being different.
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 01:18 PM   #44 (permalink)

I'm not sure how to answer. I have recently left webOS and I'm using Android. I'm not a huge fan of the android ecosystem and I'm unclear how this would function. One of the annoying things about android is that apps aren't always keeping state and lose track of where you are in them when you switch from them.

Also some of the apps I would like - for example Netflix - only run on Android today due to DRM that exists - is that part of what would be supported on webOS? If not - would these apps run?
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2012, 08:50 AM   #45 (permalink)

I don't want neier android's or apple's multitaskingly handling apps.
webos is the best. But 250,000 choices of apps is a must. I don't care native or not.
lawtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2012, 10:36 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
What we should promote is native webOS apps. Sadly, there's little developers in our ecosystem, and sometimes we want apps that can only be done by their respective owners, which won't consider a webOS version, given the low sales expectations.
basically just countered or touched on the whole downside to your reply, yeah native would be nice, but for the most part we dont have enough devs, or enough native apps compared to the competition, so we either die off in the far distance with very little (but native) apps, or we can dump webOS devs in with the android crowd (more competition for them idd) but at least wed have apps, and if the native devs made something superior to the android devs wed aquire it anyways.

And what if the android devs made an app vastly superior to a native webOS app? are you seriously saying webOS users should buy the limited native app over a possibly superior android app? seems a tad backwards.

end users, webOS, iOS or android want quality apps, if the webOS ones naturally outshine the rest then yeah thats fine and great, but if they dont (or if webOS doesnt even have a single android alternative) then thats where having the android market comes in handy.

apps are just apps, it rarely matters what you run it on that counts, just that you have the app in question, the rest is down to user friendlyness and operation of the actual OS itsself (apps dont change this at all, in our situation, the homebrew patches do this) and imho webOS wins hands down.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2012, 07:01 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retraux View Post
Since the porting of android onto the touchpad this whole forum has filled with people wanting android and android apps.
If you want android, put it on your touchpad and never leave that operating system, a lot of the members on here are here because they love webOS and the way it works, if android apps were allowed to run on webOS it would be a terrible thing as developers would NOT make webOS apps at all when they can make a 'one size fits all' android app that can be used on numerous operating systems.

You mention the playbook running android apps, yes it does but it's still a HUGE flop.

Dave
I disagree. I think the flexibility would ultimately strengthen webOS, given that enyo was just open sourced and that porting webOS apps to android is apparently much simpler. Being able to easily go from Android to webOS would be nice, but most Android developers won't both.

I really like the flexibility provided by the ubuntuchroot, but have a strong preference for native apps. Running Android in-a-card wouldbe the same, though would probably only run one or two Android apps.

I used to consider netflix an essential app, but the instant video catalog is so limited now that I just do the dvd-by-mail option.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 02:48 PM   #48 (permalink)

Just a quick question that i think i already know the answer to. Would apps that take advantage of api's that webOS doesn't have work? Such as Sound Hound for music identification?
Old 07/12/2012, 11:50 PM   #49 (permalink)

whats taking them so long
xaviersenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2012, 11:59 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviersenior View Post
whats taking them so long
If you are talking about ACL, they said 3rd quarter. Personally, I'm not holding my breath, we'll see what happens come September. I have other means for Android apps, with CM9, but that comes with it's ups & downs. I set a new PB with 29 minutes before I got frustrated and rebooted back into webOS.
Old 07/13/2012, 02:15 AM   #51 (permalink)

It depends on how well it is implimented. I have to say I never use any Android apps on my PlayBook because I don't like how it is implimented.

It's quite inconsistent for the end user to have some apps with their own UI controls and some which rely on the back or menu buttons.

Plus on the PlayBook the Android apps are so laggy, this may be because the PlayBook was set up with Gingerbread and not ICS maybe but its just not enjoyable to use.
tharrison4815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 07:08 AM   #52 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharrison4815 View Post
It depends on how well it is implimented. I have to say I never use any Android apps on my PlayBook because I don't like how it is implimented.

It's quite inconsistent for the end user to have some apps with their own UI controls and some which rely on the back or menu buttons.
Is that really a problem of the Playbook? I thought that would be more of a problem of Andriod apps in general. They are, from what I saw, very diverse even on native Andriod Phones/Tablets.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 09:01 AM   #53 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
Probably the biggest news for webOS users to come out of this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas was the revelation that just before HP put a halt to webOS, a technology company named OpenMobile was engaged in talks with HP to implement a technology which would allow webOS devices to run Android Apps, and immediately eliminate the app selection shortage which many consider to be the single biggest obstacle to webOS growth. This technology, which was demonstrated live at CES, is in an advanced stage of development and only needs tweaks to be ready for deployment. It allows Android apps to run as a card completeley inside webOS - with this technology there is no need to install Android and dual boot.

Please take the time to respond to our poll and sign the petition to let both HP and OpenMobile see how many webOS users want this to happen, and how much it's worth to us.

Petition Link: We need Android Apps on webOS!
We do not need those apps. They are all pieces of junk made by amateur idiots and all look like crap.

Last edited by boovish; 07/13/2012 at 09:08 AM.
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 12:49 PM   #54 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
We do not need those apps. They are all pieces of junk made by amateur idiots and all look like crap.
That's a bit harsh.

I would agree that there is a LOT of bad / useless stuff over on Google Play. The price they pay for having it more open / less totalitarian than Apple's tightly throttled market. I don't appreciate having to wade through so much chaff in order to find a grain of sustenance.

But "all" is a slippery slope you shouldn't slide down. I've found useful stuff for free and paid stuff that is horrible. I would say rather, that there should be some sort of winnowing going on in Play Store to help eliminate the dregs. There is, however, much that functions as intended and advertised. Almost as much as what doesn't work or works sub-par and was obviously just thrown out there to earn name recognition and / or a few quick bucks.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 07/13/2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typoholic's anonymous
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 02:16 PM   #55 (permalink)

Now with the Open Source bits out there like Community Edition, won't it be easier for the awesome HomeBrew developers to get this done?

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
neit_jnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 04:07 PM   #56 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
Now with the Open Source bits out there like Community Edition, won't it be easier for the awesome HomeBrew developers to get this done?
Everyone is waiting on OpenMobile and their promised ACL scheduled for fall release...

Welcome to OpenMobile World Wide

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 11:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this community doesn't need blanket statements like this thrown around when webOS is struggling to attract developer talent and keep the developers it has left.

Some might defend it as one man's opinion, but I call it immature and grossly misinformed. There's an enormous amount of great talent developing for other platforms simply because it puts food on their table for them and their families. Even in the most optimistic view, webOS simply doesn't generate the kind of money necessary to attract that talent at present.

Last edited by dignitary; 07/13/2012 at 11:36 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 11:42 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this community doesn't need blanket statements like this thrown around when webOS is struggling to attract developer talent and keep the developers it has left when most already have.

Some might defend what boovish said as one person's opinion, but I call it immature and grossly misinformed. There's an enormous amount of great talent developing for other platforms simply because it puts food on their table for them and their families.

For those here saying "we need to concentrate on webOS apps", even in the most optimistic view, webOS simply doesn't generate the kind of money necessary to attract that kind of talent (much less keep the talent webOS used to have), and may never will if its percentage of market share remains a fraction of 1% like it is today.

Look at it this way: If webOS paid the bills, a lot of high-profile webOS developers wouldn't have already left, pulled their apps, or simply stopped updating to concentrate on other platforms. Now just a handful remain.

Embrace the selection and opportunity the OpenMobile ACL could bring...if it ever comes out.

Last edited by dignitary; 07/13/2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07/13/2012, 11:53 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this community doesn't need blanket statements like this thrown around when webOS is struggling to attract developer talent and keep the developers it has left when most have already moved on.

Some might defend what boovish said as one person's opinion, but I call it immature and grossly misinformed. There's an enormous amount of great talent developing for other platforms simply because it gets them exponentially greater exposure, puts food on their table for them and their families, and has the retail support necessary to sustain their business now and in the future.

webOS can currently offer exactly none of this.

For those here saying "we need to concentrate on webOS apps", even in the most optimistic view, webOS simply doesn't generate the kind of money necessary to attract that kind of talent (much less keep the talent webOS used to have), and may never will if its percentage of market share remains a fraction of 1% like it is today. No companies pumping out popular titles will realistically invest time, money, and developer resources at a platform with a near-guaranteed loss--nor do they do charity work.

Look at it this way: If webOS paid the bills, a lot of high-profile webOS developers wouldn't have already left, pulled their apps, or simply stopped updating to concentrate on other platforms using Enyo and Phonegap. Now just a very small handful remain.

Embrace the selection and opportunity for webOS users the OpenMobile ACL could bring if it ever comes out. If it doesn't, webOS has a critical problem on its hands, Open webOS or not. The "app rot" will just continue in the App Catalog with not much to replace it.

Last edited by dignitary; 07/14/2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07/14/2012, 01:43 AM   #60 (permalink)

to get acl on webos, we need a license. but acl wont be sold to general public. so what happens when webos goes fully open source? i doubtful hp would pay for one after that happens
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0