webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Android Apps on webOS devices
Android Apps on webOS devices
View Poll Results: Do you want your webOS device to be able to use Android Apps?
No, I'm satisfied with the current selection and rate of development of webOS Apps 8 2.62%
Yes, absolutely - I need this, please make this happen! 232 76.07%
Maybe there might be some Android Apps I could use, but I'm not sure 65 21.31%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

Old 01/20/2012, 11:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Signed. Only for the audible.com app. I also wonder if there would be a better google-linked calendar solution with better support for multiple calendars. Other than that I'm happy. (Zite, by the way, is amazing - developed FIRST for WebOS, THEN i-etc.)
dbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2012, 01:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renater View Post
Just signed. About 70 people signed now. I hope we can do better.
@marcedhk, maybe a posting in the Android fora if you haven't already done so?
I've done a bit of posting in other threads, and also on other websites as well. But I'm just one person, so how about we expand the effort a bit? A few hundred signatures might not make enough of an impact on HP and OpenMobile after all, so let's really reach out to the ENTIRE webOS community with this. Let's all go further than just signing the petition - Let's all Like it on Facebook, Tweet it, Digg it, copy the link and share it in blog comments, discussion forums, add it to your email signature, etc, etc - put it in any and every place where people that use webOS are likely to see it.

Let's each play a part in making sure the whole webOS community knows about this exciting possibility and that everyone gets the opportunity to have their voice heard loud and clear. If everyone would just take 10 minutes and do a couple of the things mentioned above, in a few days we'll be talking about how many thousands have signed!

After all, anything worth doing is worth overdoing!!!, right???

Last edited by marcedhk; 01/21/2012 at 01:46 PM.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sorli likes this.
Thanked By: sorli
Old 01/21/2012, 06:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
I've done a bit of posting in other threads, and also on other websites as well. But I'm just one person, so how about we expand the effort a bit? A few hundred signatures might not make enough of an impact on HP and OpenMobile after all, so let's really reach out to the ENTIRE webOS community with this. Let's all go further than just signing the petition - Let's all Like it on Facebook, Tweet it, Digg it, copy the link and share it in blog comments, discussion forums, add it to your email signature, etc, etc - put it in any and every place where people that use webOS are likely to see it.

Let's each play a part in making sure the whole webOS community knows about this exciting possibility and that everyone gets the opportunity to have their voice heard loud and clear. If everyone would just take 10 minutes and do a couple of the things mentioned above, in a few days we'll be talking about how many thousands have signed!

After all, anything worth doing is worth overdoing!!!, right???
Although you do have to ask yourself, why is HP so utterly incompetent they don't see how incredibly useful this is? It's been months since HP announced they would open source webOS, and they never bothered to contact OpenMobile throughout that entire period of time? HP doesn't deserve webOS. Any company in HP's position would be chomping at the bit to apply this ACL Layer to all their products.

Instead HP is run by a bunch of worthless executives who apparently spend more time golfing and yachting with their multimillion bonuses than paying attention to developments in the industry.

That said, I'm kind of surprised your enthusiasm is so isolated. You would think the entire community would jump on this possibility and scream all over the forums about it. But no... apparently not.
sonicmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2012, 01:43 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmerlin View Post
It's been months since HP announced they would open source webOS,
Actually, it's only been six weeks. They announced it on Dec 9th (my birthday!) I know, time is distorted when dealing with gadgetry. (I was amazed to read recently that the iPad wasn't even released two years ago. That seems unreal.)

P.S. Signed & posted

Last edited by katefields; 01/22/2012 at 02:01 AM.
katefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2012, 02:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Agree with all of that.

I just got my apps running in Phonegap on CM7 and CM9 today ,and boy is it a pile of ****. I'll try out the iOS version next week, when I get my Mac, but I can safely say that at the moment, unless it's a TouchPad CM7/CM9 thing, no developer who cares about their product is going to build it using Phonegap and Enyo. Maybe someday I'll get a tablet that is designed for Android, and check it, but that day is not this week, I'm sure.

My guess is that the webKit that is used in Phonegap is really, really, really screwed up, though. I suppose we'll find out for sure once Enyo 1.1 is released.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2012, 06:32 AM   #26 (permalink)

while it may be bad for some devs to have the massive addition of android apps to compete wth if we had ACL, we still need addressing the biggest hurdle webOS has with regards to people jumping ship or saying webOS sucks compared to ios/android.

This is simply apps, always was and always will be. its not so much a lack of apps, its more people cravign the obscure apps that suit them but not everyone else, esp the american audience which has vastly more apps for TV/Music that only work with their country and no others.

Apps bring people to even rubbish hardware, so long as they get the app they want/need.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2012, 12:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Want to kill all native webOS development? Add the 350,000 Android apps promised by the OpenMobile ACL.

Once you've drowned the native webOS developers out because of an inadequate SDK put out by HP and you've put the success of webOS in hands of the Android ecosystem, you can pat yourselves on the back and consider it a job well done.
I do understand your concern, but the fact is that if webOS dies as a consumer platform the native webOS app developers will lose even more sales than they will due to competition from Android apps. Most people are not going to stick with webOS over the long haul if it doesn't deliver the apps they need. There aren't any more firesales coming to artificially stimulate demand, so whether current users are retained and future users converted will depend on whether they are able to have a webOS device that meets their needs, and that means letting them be able to run the apps they want on it. It doesn't matter if it's the fault of in inadequate SDK, the low market share, or the uncertainty regarding the future that keeps developers from investing in native webOS apps. Whatever the reason, lack of apps = low adoption = extremely limited prospects for webOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
And here's the bottom line: No OEM will touch an operating system that relies on another operating system's goods to keep their users happy. If OpenMobile is released for webOS, PDK developers are are the only hope performance-wise for the webOS platform in the face of an Android invasion, and as you know those are a hell of a rare breed.
Not so. Manufacturers don't care about platform purity, they care about putting out devices that consumers will buy because they satisfy their needs. The only reason they would care is if Android was on shaky ground and in danger of going away tomorrow (which clearly it isn't). If relying on Android Apps was an issue for OEM's then OpenMobile wouldn't even exist, because their whole business is about bringing Android App capabilities to OEM's devices.

As far as I can see, this is a key component in the effort to get webOS off the ventilator and on the road to recovery. If anyone else comes up with a better idea that can accomplish the same goal with less tradeoffs, then by all means drop it on us. Until that happens, this effort will proceed full steam ahead.
Old 01/22/2012, 02:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Note, also, that OpenMobile is searching for funding, because no one will give them money.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 01/22/2012, 07:04 PM   #29 (permalink)

Hey guys , check this out .

Here's a link to go to the official website of openmobile . I am sure you all would find something interesting there for your web os devices

Welcome to OpenMobile World Wide
sravans578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 01:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

Wish people would stop thinking that having badly emulated android apps on webOS will save the platform.
banana-man666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 03:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
I'm trying to think of a time when running software on a device that it wasn't designed for was ever a good long-term experience.
MAME is awesome!
LizardWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 04:28 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retraux View Post
Wish people would stop thinking that having badly emulated android apps on webOS will save the platform.
Here's a video of ACL in action on Meego. The performance there seems pretty respectable. If we can get a similar level of performance on webOS as OpenMobile claim, most of us will be very satisfied with being able to have "badly emulated android apps".

OpenMobile demos ACL for MeeGo, promises 100 percent compatibility with Android apps (video) - Engadget
Old 01/23/2012, 05:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

One more thing - please be advised that BlueStacks App Player for Windows will be released soon, and the company that makes it is already working with some OEM's to pre-load the software on their devices. So iOS has a strong app catalog, Android devices have a strong app catalog, Blackberry will have access to Android apps, and Windows 8 will have access to Android Apps. If some of you have your way, webOS will be left as the only mobile OS without a strong app catalog to support it. How exactly will it survive then?
Old 01/23/2012, 08:38 PM   #34 (permalink)

Open Mobile would rock and I'd love a new option and anything that would allow direct access to more apps running ontop of webOS. Everyone wins - Open Mobile, developers (webOS and Android) simply by more interest, and the users.

Open Mobile would rock and I could see paying $20 or $30 for the option to use everything I already own from Android from within webOS. Wow that would be cool! Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 10:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

I think this is idiotic. The solution already exists and does what no other does.DUO-BOOT webos for what you love and cm9 or cm7 for the other stuff you love. It is already free and works good and is going to get better.
why reinvent the wheel. cm is fast,works and offers stuff we will never see on webos.
and without new hardware there is no future webos.
hp or qualcomm should release the android they supposedly run on the device before webos is loaded. or better yet just re release the touchpad with adroid on it.
jack90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 10:29 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack90125 View Post
I think this is idiotic. The solution already exists and does what no other does.DUO-BOOT webos for what you love and cm9 or cm7 for the other stuff you love. It is already free and works good and is going to get better.
why reinvent the wheel. cm is fast,works and offers stuff we will never see on webos.
hp or qualcomm should release the android they supposedly run on the device before webos is loaded. or better yet just re release the touchpad with adroid on it.
Mmmmmkay...

That sounds pretty convenient. Reboot into Android before you can use whatever app you want to at the moment. What a great idea! Boot into a whole different OS rather than run said app in a custom JVM.
LizardWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 11:10 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack90125 View Post
Several reasons:

1) It is much easier to buy and install an ACL App from the App Catalog - this is something that the majority of users can do instinctively, rather than installing Novaterm, entering command line instructions etc. There is a significant percentage of users that are not going to be comfortable doing that.

2) Installing CM7/9 voids the warranty. If something goes wrong (and I've seen posts from people where stuff went really wrong), you'll either have to pay HP to fix it, or learn how to fix it yourself using webOS doctor, which again is not something the general consumer is not going to be comfortable doing

3) Rebooting into CM takes too much time. I just timed mine, and it took me 1 minute 6 seconds to go from webOS into CM7, and about 1 minute 30 secs to go from CM7 to webOS. If you're just using CM7 to watch a show on Netflix a couple times a week, no problem. But if you have apps that you use regularly split across the 2 OS's and you have to go back and forth, that's going to become a real pain, real quick. It is much faster and easier to just exit a card running a webOS app and start a new card running an Android app, all while keeping Synergy and your web browser on whatever it was you were reading.

4) By forcing users to constantly hop between 2 OS's, you're making it more likely that they'll just end up choosing one and putting up with the inadequacies of the one that best meets their needs. For a lot of users, once a more stable CM9 is released that would be a choice for Android instead of webOS.

5) The more the dual booting of webOS and Android becomes widespread, the more difficult it will be for OEM's to justify the decision to put out new webOS devices.
Old 01/24/2012, 01:21 AM   #38 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Fact of the matter is, all platforms that were capable of running another more popular platform's software, are dead, or as close to it as an operating system ever gets.

If RIM runs Android apps and Windows 8 run Android apps, why would anyone target Blackberry or Windows?

The HP people thought that they could sell webOS on it's technical merits, but that is never a good thing to attempt when you're trying to sell to consumers. You have to give them things that do what they want, or present them with something that does something they didn't even know they wanted, and convince them that they do want it.

Going ahead with 5? different models of portrait slider phones, proves that not only did HP-Palm want something unique (does anyone else even -make- a portrait slider?), they wanted to tell the consumer that "you want this", and the consumer just laughed at them.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 01/24/2012, 02:53 AM   #39 (permalink)

Since the porting of android onto the touchpad this whole forum has filled with people wanting android and android apps.
If you want android, put it on your touchpad and never leave that operating system, a lot of the members on here are here because they love webOS and the way it works, if android apps were allowed to run on webOS it would be a terrible thing as developers would NOT make webOS apps at all when they can make a 'one size fits all' android app that can be used on numerous operating systems.

You mention the playbook running android apps, yes it does but it's still a HUGE flop.

Dave
banana-man666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by boovish likes this.
Old 01/24/2012, 07:50 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retraux View Post
I don't think badly emulated Android apps will save webOS, but it sure would help augment what we already have. Actually, HP shot webOS a long long time ago and sadly we have to live with the fact.

As a previous Pre owner and long time webOS TP user...I love my tablet and use webOS every day. I think Open Mobile is a huge possibility as referenced on their website and I'm hopeful it lands soon since more options are always better...especially if I can run them native or emulated on-top of webOS.

I'm really excited and looking forward to seeing it in action and like everyone else hopeful that previous purchases from Amazon and the Marketplace can be brought in by default. Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelmutsKohl likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0